Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tony Bettenhausen Jr. Chevelle

yellowsportwagon

Tonys 72 Chevelle

Amt 72 Chevelle kit modified MPC cage and underhood bars.Opened wheelwells flared them to match photo of car. Bandit resin flat hood spare parts seat.Cut fuel cell from Mpc Nascar chassis.PPP wheels and tires. Scratch built spoilers and overflows on qtr panels. Decals by Dave Van.

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

Edited by yellowsportwagon

Being a NASCAR historian of sorts looked up Tony's history. In 1973 he ran 4 races with the #38 car, Talladega, Texas, Michigan, and Rockingham. However, in 1974 he ran 27 races, 25 using the #9 and two others with different numbers, all with Vita-fresh sponsorship. So that is the only history with the #38 car. It's amazing that a car that ran only 4 races in NASCAR would have a decal set made for it. Of course he could have run a bunch of races with that number in the ARCA series of which I can't find a record. Nice job. 

Being a NASCAR historian of sorts looked up Tony's history. In 1973 he ran 4 races with the #38 car, Talladega, Texas, Michigan, and Rockingham. However, in 1974 he ran 27 races, 25 using the #9 and two others with different numbers, all with Vita-fresh sponsorship. So that is the only history with the #38 car. It's amazing that a car that ran only 4 races in NASCAR would have a decal set made for it. Of course he could have run a bunch of races with that number in the ARCA series of which I can't find a record. Nice job. 

I can't find any record of Tony running any ARCA races. However, I do remember that in addition to NASCAR races, Tony also ran on the USAC stock car ciecuit, which in the 70s was still very popular, as popular as ARCA back then, if not more so.

That's a great looking model!

YellowSporstsWagon, please tell how you got the flared lip on the wheel openings? sheet stryene? 

I just cut a long triangle strip of styrene and curve it to the shape of the wheel well I'm doing.Then glue it with the middle point of the triangle at the top of the wheel well. This gives the flare some slant to it. Then I rough up the area with 220 and putty with evercoat 2 part glazing putty. I never use any Tamiya or Squadron puttties. They always shrink.I bought this model used if you see the green putty on the deck lid it was removed and replaced with evercoat. Hope this helps.

Tim