Model Cars Magazine Forum

LHD Gulf Seven

Scale-Master

This is the steering rack from brass tube and sheet stock.  The inner workings of it are made of rod and tubing.

xAqnPwB.jpg

Painted and assembled.  The tie rod halves are pinned so the ends can pivot when the rack is slid side to side.  I made the bellows by machining a master and casting them with rubber-like resin that was dyed black.

prLyibA.jpg

The front control arms are cast in Zamac as the exact same parts for both sides so the sway bar receiver (on the upper arm) ends up being different from side to side instead of mirror imaged.  So I filled them in and reshaped and drilled them to accept the sway bar.

Also the shocks snap onto the lower arms leaving the bottom of the shock eye open, not realistic but easy to assemble.  To make it so I can install closed loop shock eyes I cut out the mount from the A-arm and drilled a hole to use hardware like the real cars.  I added a brass section to beef up the parts before cut out the shock mount, and to make it look like the beefier optional part.

Before:

KokFY5g.jpg

After:

Sd18jhB.jpg

One of the fenders was slightly damaged during the tear down.  (In fact I found several pieces that were broken or cracked at the screw-together points when they were taken apart; probably due to the tightness of the original assembling.)

I also thought they would look more accurate if all the mounting holes were the same.  Straight from the kit two "holes" on each fender are actually slots for ease of assembly.  I filled them in and redrilled them while fixing the broken piece.  I also filled in the holes for the side marker lights and the rather obstinate ejection marks on the underside.

I added seven evenly spaced but different sized holes (larger to smaller front to rear) for letting air out at higher speeds.  

AHlbB56.jpg

gVAVu0K.jpg

To limit the size and therefore amount of debris that could get through those holes I made rock screens from some fine steel hydraulic filter material.  Holes were drilled through the screens and then correlating ones into the fenders. 

Small clamps to spread the load were made from 0.004 thick sheet plastic. 

The screen assemblies are just sitting loose next to their final placement.  Mounting hardware will be made later…

pfCcT39.jpg

Edited by Scale-Master

Thanks John.

Dipstick. All brass.

hMuGOJS.jpg

The stripped down engine block.  Since I relocated the alternator to the other side I'll have to address the area it used to mount to.

2yf8tha.jpg

Painted dipstick, dry fitted to partially reworked and repainted engine block.

x7DJfCd.jpg

The timing belt had rotted and disintegrated (not that I was going to use it…) so I milled a new one from a black zip-tie.  Learning from the last time I was able to make this one even thinner so it will wrap around the cogs easier.

aVCToBE.jpg

I made this jig for the last Super Seven I built to preload a memory into the belt.  It will stay in it for a few days in direct sunlight when possible, (instead of a week like last time).  It isn't critical for the belt to hug the jig; the teeth will engage the cogs and lock it in place on the model.

LmFSrBO.jpg

Mark! Timing belt made from Zip Ties!! And a very clever way to make it "stay"!

This makes my Green Hornet  WIP seem like a mere toy! :D

Excellent work as usual! Once upon a time I had one of these kits (Cycle fender BDR). I kinda wish I had it back now, but time being such a premium, it would sit for another bunch of years before I'd get to it. :(

Thanks guys!

Bill, that Seven you mentioned is the one that I started with.  It is the only one that cam with those cool cast metal Minilites.  I'd really like to snag another one; like I need one more Seven...

The cam cogs were milled to fit the teeth on the belt.  Fresh off the mill.

Om500CN.jpg

After acid etching.

tCO0miD.jpg

The water pump pulley was made last year during the initial conversion to left hand drive for an article in Scale Auto magazine.  I milled the mounting bolt for that pulley today and assembled all the pulleys.  The belt will go on after this assembly is mounted to the block.

oFEiWv9.jpg

Thanks guys!  It's not just the bolt heads, I'm machining the entire bolts.

I forgot to take pictures when I scratch-built the alternator last year.  I just got around to painting and assembling it.  Still a few details to add and paint…

Mostly aluminum with some brass and a little styrene.

7ERyRqJ.jpg

ieEbbGo.jpg