Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1967 Ford Thunderbird resto

Mr Stock

Hi all, it's been a while since I've completed a model, been very busy over summer so didn't get a lot of bench time in. Finished this one up today though. I got this one from a friend of mine it's an original AMT annual 67 Thunderbird, it was built as a sort of custom, custom wheels, lowered etc, and it had the wrong engine in it (a Dodge V8!).

I stripped it down and carried out some repairs to the body, I decided to go for a plain black look with a monster V8 in it, I found a great looking ram inducted 427 in the parts box that slotted straight in, I painted the body with a rattle can and polished it out and found some period mags and redlines to complete the look.

Bumpers were refinished with Spazstix, hope you like her, I'm happy with how it turned out. 

I've included a photo with how it looked before.......

20170917_131423.jpg

20170917_131403.jpg

20170917_131412.jpg

20170917_131522.jpg

20170917_131618.jpg

DSCN0200.JPG

Edited by Mr Stock

Hi all, it's been a while since I've completed a model, been very busy over summer so didn't get a lot of bench time in. Finished this one up today though. I got this one from a friend of mine it's an original AMT annual 67 Thunderbird, it was built as a sort of custom, custom wheels, lowered etc, and it had the wrong engine in it (a Dodge V8!).

I stripped it down and carried out some repairs to the body, I decided to go for a plain black look with a monster V8 in it, I found a great looking ram inducted 427 in the parts box that slotted straight in, I painted the body with a rattle can and polished it out and found some period mags and redlines to complete the look.

Bumpers were refinished with Spazstix, hope you like her, I'm happy with how it turned out. 

I've included a photo with how it looked before.......

20170917_131412.jpg

Those wheels are awesome, did you bash those out of some other kit or buy them independently? As for the red lines, superb combination, I took the translucent tail light red paint that Testors makes and took a pair of white walls and just painted over them to get red lines for a '66 Galaxie I'm working on. Those look factory; are they? You did a great job on the paint, I doff my cap to you.

Edited by El Caballo

Those wheels are awesome, did you bash those out of some other kit or buy them independently? As for the red lines, superb combination, I took the translucent tail light red paint that Testors makes and took a pair of white walls and just painted over them to get red lines for a '66 Galaxie I'm working on. Those look factory; are they? You did a great job on the paint, I doff my cap to you.

Thanks Ted

I have to be completely honest, those wheels came from the parts box, they have definitely come from a 60s AMT annual kit but I can't remember which one sorry. The redlines are precut vinyl stickers from Vinyl Nation, but they are very tricky to put on !. 

Thankyou for the very kind reply

Edited by Mr Stock