Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell `87 Camaro Iroc 1/16

Hawk312

That is some great workmanship David. It's great to have the knowledge of the one-to-one to go by, and the skills to carry it off as you did.

When I built mine back in the day when they were new. I did not deal with the inaccuracies of the kits. I have most of the kits of that series in various states of assembly down in the basement. None of them look anywhere as good as yours. Last year, I restored my Iroc Z. I just cleaned it up and polished it. I found my '82 Z28 kit. I cut the roof off of it to build a replica of a convertible conversion that we had at our dealership since it was moulded in Red, and my Demo was White. I believe the roof I cut off, and the rear window are in my pile of parts. I found some of them, and if I am able to find it, I would like to convert it back into a Hardtop. The lower stripe decals would be hard to recreate after  I strip the enamel paint I did in late '83, but it would be an interesting build.  If I cannot find the parts, I'll just freshen it up like I did to the Iroc Z. I did  the '84  Berlinetta as a Street Machine with an Injected V8 and American 200S wheels and different tires. I found the Replica Stock wheels and tires, and the Air Cleaner, carb, and Manifold., so it can be rebuilt to something close to being a Replica Stock Camaro. The paint can be polished out, and I can scratch build a spoiler cap that has been missing since I built the model in 1985. .I have an unbuilt MPC '82 Firebird T/A with a broken "A" pillar somewhere in my basement that I may still resurrect.

I have always liked 1/16 kits. I have several in the collection to be built from a new kit, or restored from my collection, as I never tossed them out, and they were not built as Glue-Bombs.

That is one fantastic Iroc Z David.

Thanks Ron, and thanks for sharing the memories! I`m not sure if you know, but the MPC `82 Firebird kit is available now as a re-release. I debated getting one, but I am too back-logged. :( I vaguely remember Revell doing a Z28 in 1/16 either just before or just after the Berlinetta, but I can`t find any info on it. Do you remember what color the car on the box was?

I too got the 1/16 GTA kit for Christmas back when they first came out. Ah, the memories. :) That was a good time. That one had some inaccuracies as well, but at that time I didn`t care. I built it in black. A few years later I got tired of the black and painted it charcoal with a brush. :D 

Looks amazing! Did you also build the 1/8 IROC a while back in the dark red metallic?

I noticed that you changed the transmission itself to represent the automatic, but neglected to change the shifter and pedals as well?

Yep! Here is the "big" kit:

iroc1.thumb.jpg.77a3946785238fb8dac67084

About the shifter....

The kit came with the 5 speed and I built it that way. You can see that in the second interior picture. Then I discussed it with the person who will be getting this, and his is an automatic. So I had to tear the console apart and convert it to automatic, which you can see in the first interior picture. That is it`s current state. 

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Ron, and thanks for sharing the memories! I`m not sure if you know, but the MPC `82 Firebird kit is available now as a re-release. I debated getting one, but I am too back-logged. :( 

If you can get one, get it. It is moulded in white, and has some nice decals and Snowflake wheels.

.I vaguely remember Revell doing a Z28 in 1/16 either just before or just after the Berlinetta, but I can`t find any info on it. Do you remember what color the car on the box was? 

The '83 1/16 Z28 from Revell had a Red car on the box, and was marketed before the Berlinetta, which I also have. I bought the '83 from a toy store outside Baltimore, as I never saw one before or since. That is why I may restore it. I painted it with some Candy Red Enamel., so I may scuff it, and repaint it Black, or Bright Red if I can re-attach the roof, or I may polish it up, and leave it as is..

I have one of those kits. It was Blue and White on the box if I recall. The Car built up nicely, but there is NO reference to Trans Am on the car anywhere, but the car has the offset hood, and the cross Fire Induction System along with the attendant stripe. I has not been put away, since I built it in the 80's. It has always sat on the shelf, I polished it up this year, and brought it to our club meeting. One of my modeling buddies thought it was the MPC kit, but I informed him it was the Revell, which I built over 30 years ago. I bought both the Revell and the MPC, but for some odd reason, I built the Revell.

I too got the 1/16 GTA kit for Christmas back when they first came out. Ah, the memories. :) That was a good time. That one had some inaccuracies as well, but at that time I didn`t care. I built it in black. A few years later I got tired of the black and painted it charcoal with a brush. :D 

I kick myself, as I traded it for a Modelhaus '68 Impala SS427 Resin transkit, which I cracked.

Yep! Here is the "big" kit:

About the shifter....

The kit came with the 5 speed and I built it that way. You can see that in the second interior picture. Then I discussed it with the person who will be getting this, and his is an automatic. So I had to tear the console apart and convert it to automatic, which you can see in the first interior picture. That is it`s current state. 

Thanks everyone!

I thought so! Both look amazing!

And yeah, I guess I didn't notice the auto shifter in the first pic. :lol:

Thanks again everyone!

Kelson:

Thanks for posting that picture. Now that I see that, I do remember seeing it sitting on the shelves a loooong time ago, probably when it was new. I`d like to find one of those. I can see most of it was carried over to the Iroc, at least body wise.