Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Historic Racing Miniatures Cobra Daytona Coupe

Thanks for the pictures Steve.  The first two pictures appear the be the only 427 Cobra raced by Shelby and driven by Ken Miles.  I would have to confirm the chassis number.  The first (2) prototype 427s where originally given the next available 2000 series number.  It was later decided the 427 coil spring chassis should be differentiated from the small block leaf-spring chassis and have 3000 series chassis numbers. The prototypes where then renumbered chassis 3001 and 3002.  Pretty sure this is chassis 3002. He was fabricating a dry sump oil system (check the oil pan and the filler location in the passenger side front fender).

The 3rd photo (the car with the one piece front clip) is know as the Flip-Top Cobra.  It was a one off built by Ken Miles and ran an aluminum 390 engine.  Raced only once in Nassau.  Wickedly fast, it was leading by miles (literally) when it broke.

The last picture is one of the (6) Daytona Coupes built.

Very impressive work.  Looks like Bob had access to some great reference material.

Wow, you really know your subject matter AFX.  Thats killer imfo.

Checked my references and I stand corrected (me relaying on my memory is never a good idea).

Chassis CSX2196 was the first 427 powered Cobra.  Miles and company came up with the idea of stuffing a 427 into a Cobra after the beating the Cobra took at the hands of the Corvette Grand Sport at Nassau at the end of 1963.  They knew they need more power to deal with this new threat so the beefed up a standard leaf spring chassis as best they could and installed the 427.  It was nicknamed “The Turd” because the small block chassis just couldn’t handle the extra weight and power of the 427.  During practice for the ’64 Sebring 12-hour Miles lost the ill handling machine and plowed the car into the only tree anywhere near the course.  They worked all night to repair the car and it started the race but it only lasted a few hours before it put a rod through the side of the block.  They dragged CSX2196 backed to the shop stripped it down and rebuilt as the Flip-Top Cobra. 

So it looks like Bob was building two different incarnations of the same chassis.

The first "real" 427 prototypes where chassis numbers CSX2701 and CSX2702.  They were later renumbered CSX3001 and CSX3002.

Yes, this saga is pretty complicated! CSX 2196 was indeed the "flip-top" Cobra, so assuming the person who put these displays together (Danno?) labeled them correctly, it does look like Bob was building different incarnations of the same chassis.

Some history of CSX 2196 here:

http://www.rmsothebys.com/az10/automobiles-of-arizona/lots/1964-shelby-427-cobra-flip-top-roadster/416883

Yes, this saga is pretty complicated! CSX 2196 was indeed the "flip-top" Cobra, so assuming the person who put these displays together (Danno?) labeled them correctly, it does look like Bob was building different incarnations of the same chassis.

Some history of CSX 2196 here:

http://www.rmsothebys.com/az10/automobiles-of-arizona/lots/1964-shelby-427-cobra-flip-top-roadster/416883

What threw me off is the car labeled CSX2196 has a coil spring chassis.  To the best of my knowledge CSX2196 ran leaf springs even when it was 427 powered. It looks like they have the Flip-Top build labeled CSX3002 which would be incorrect. IMG_20150502_125547156[1].jpg

I would bet this build is CSX3002.

199 Peeple's Cobra

There were only (3) 427s built with dry sump lubrication.  CSX3002 was one of them.  CSX3002 also used a left over FIA body.  The air intake at the front is the standard "D" shape of the 289 in lieu of the larger oval shape of all subsequent 427s.

Edited by afx

I sent a request to the museum several weeks ago for photos and/or information on these builds but got no reply.  If any one is willing to share their photos I would greatly appreciate it seeing them. 

I'm very glad the museum was able to acquire these masterpieces and have chosen to display them as WIP's

Hi AFX:  I just checked and the Museum didn't receive a request from you for photos or further information.  Please resend to msgsl@xmission.com with "Peeples" in the subject line.

Hi AFX:  I just checked and the Museum didn't receive a request from you for photos or further information.  Please resend to msgsl@xmission.com with "Peeples" in the subject line.

Mark, I sent the request through the Museum's website - maybe it didn't come through.  Regardless thank you for responding, I have sent you an email.

JC

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I recently bought the Gunze kit, plus a couple of Revellogram roadsters (cheap) for possible donors. Couldn't find the HRM version at the time. Maybe someday...:D

I would not wait too much longer.  We saw Modelhaus retire and I do not have any inside info but you just never know.

IMG_3661.JPG

• 1 year later...
On 9/13/2015 at 7:17 PM, vamach1 said:

I'd love to build all six ? but I have one unbuilt HRM and a built Sunze one I did many years.

do (8).jpg

Hey Rex, I was diggin’ into the archives and found this. Nice little video...would be so incredible to drive one of these! ANY of them!?