Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maisto 1/24 wheel removal?

ismaelg

Hello,

Anybody has any tips on how to remove the wheels from the metal axle on a Maisto 1/24 diecast? I've pulled very hard to the point of almost breaking the wheel with no luck. Last resort would be cutting the metal axle.

All I want is to add brake rotors to a 1/24 Maisto Corvette.

20171127_073639.thumb.jpg.3165060b0dff159e19aa61fa21d676c7.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks,

I've had the same problem w/a Z06. I just want to tweak the ride height a bit, add some brakes, but the axles seem to be imperviously attached to the wheels and something is going to be damaged severely trying to remove. It's not like the unassembled versions are easy to find, either. And don't get me started on Maisto's lame attempt at the Grand Sport; it's just a different set of tampo printing on the Z06, incorrect side vent, incorrect wheels. Bleh. Revell's given up on any Corvette variants and we're stuck w/scraps from Maisto.

I recently removed wheels from a JADA die-cast, which looks similar to the Maisto. I used a pair of long needle-nose pliers. Put the pliers between the wheel and the chassis, and gently pried a little bit at a time, until the wheel finally came off.  It took a few minutes but didn't break anything.  The JADA wheels were Cadillac "sombreros" and I didn't want to damage them.

To get the other wheel off, I just gripped the axle in a pair of regular pliers and pulled with my fingers.  It's easier to get the wheel off when you have plenty of room and the chassis isn't in the way.

The ends of the metal axles are usually knurled and press-fit in the wheel.  I had some luck taking the tires off then twisting each wheel in opposite direction while pulling them apart at the same time.  But at this point looks like you used "plan B".

Edited by peteski

4 minutes ago, ismaelg said:

Hello,
     After cutting it, I grabbed the axle with locking pliers and pulled the wheel, and pulled and pulled until I started hearing it tarting to crack.  I concede. I'll just cut and grind the axle flush. :)

Thanks,

try cutting one or two slice on the wheel where the axle goes in, it should relieve the pressure and let it come out easier.

15 hours ago, stitchdup said:

try cutting one or two slice on the wheel where the axle goes in, it should relieve the pressure and let it come out easier.

Or heat the remaining axle with a soldering iron (or a torch if you are adventurous). That should soften the plastic surrounding the axle and you might be able to pull it out.

• 4 weeks later...

I see what you mean. I'm currently trying to get the wheels off a '63 Sting Ray diecast, and they ain't budging. The weird part is, I can get the wheel to turn on the axle, with some effort, which you'd think would loosen it up, but it ain't moving outward a bit. 

• 6 years later...
On 12/26/2017 at 2:23 PM, Snake45 said:

I see what you mean. I'm currently trying to get the wheels off a '63 Sting Ray diecast, and they ain't budging. The weird part is, I can get the wheel to turn on the axle, with some effort, which you'd think would loosen it up, but it ain't moving outward a bit. 

February 2024

Hello Richard, I'm in the same boat as you, but with a new 1/24 Maisto Chevrolet 3100 pickup that I want to lower radically, but, like you, one wheel on one axle turns easily but won't move outward any.  I have considered the heat method but the soldering iron would be awfully close to the chassis and would probably distort it . Looking for any alternative other than hacking the axles in two.

Thanks for any tips.

I have the same issue. Sometimes I can get them apart by twisting, but not always. One way that works fairly well is to cut a slit and pry the wheel shaft apart a little with a screwdriver to let the axle slide out.

On 2/28/2024 at 4:49 PM, oldcarfan said:

I have the same issue. Sometimes I can get them apart by twisting, but not always. One way that works fairly well is to cut a slit and pry the wheel shaft apart a little with a screwdriver to let the axle slide out.

Thanks.   I'll try this. Will let you know how it works with the Chevy 3100 wheels.

SEE my newest post  "1/25 scale Maisto 1950 Chevrolet 3100s- tall, medium, stock and low"

Edited by FenderMender
adding info about new post