Model Cars Magazine Forum

Terrible Box Art

4 hours ago, Junkman said:

Never mind the new ones, get a load of this:

1982-Revell-Cabriolet-Volkswagen-Vw-Bug-

I don't see anything wrong with that box art. Clean, simple graphics, a photo of a built kit without a distracting background, and a description.   And no nonsense like 'Streetburner' or 'California Wheels'. 

Edited by Rob Hall

4 hours ago, Draggon said:

This gives me zero enthusiasm. Even if it was 1/25 I wouldn't buy it. 

Image result for lindberg gremlin grabber

Only thing worse than a gremlin is a 1/20 scale gremlin. And what is the "GRABBER" for on the box. Of its the hood scoop it looks more like a garbage can lid.

Definitely wouldn't buy it.  

Box art sells kits to normals/casual modelers. In today's world where most everything about upcoming kit releases is known and discussed on the internet well in advance of release, I hardly even notice the box art since I already know what I'm getting.  Or maybe I'm just jaded.  

Edited by Rob Hall

Hands down the worst! If you're talking about box art and not the model itself, this is horrible. Terrible picture of the model, bad photoshopping and too much photobombing by the artist and/or his pals. The model takes up only maybe 18-percent of the cover from an angle you can't get much info from, for what? So the rest of space can be used to showcase this hack's artistic license?

FunnierFarmer.jpg.3c5782be56acf56d174393d1dd53b824.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer

14 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

Hands down the worst! If you're talking about box art and not the model itself, this is horrible. Terrible picture of the model, bad photoshopping and too much photobombing by the artist and/or his pals. The model takes up only about 20-percent of the cover from an angle you can't get much info from, for what? So the rest of space can be used to showcase this hack's artistic license?

What's even funnier (pardon the pun) is that Arnie Beswick was also known as the "pig farmer" yet the artwork shows cows. I saw him racing at the local drag strip 50 or so years ago. An ingenious man, it is rumored he mated a clutch/pressure plate to an automatic tranny to give his cars better performance out of the hole yet never missing a shift.

6 hours ago, Junkman said:

Never mind the new ones, get a load of this:

1982-Revell-Cabriolet-Volkswagen-Vw-Bug-

I'm a third person to disagree on the above. I don't think it looks too bad. Especially not compared to the others seen here. The Ertl AMT kits are bad. But, that Monogram box of the old Aurora Ferrari GTO scares me. The GTO is one of all time favorite Ferraris. Yet I was persuaded to stay away from that one by the box art alone. If it would have been a painting that looking like that, I might have taken a chance, and bought the kit. True I would have then disappointed. For I expect better from Monogram. But, since this a photo of the model. It gave one no doubt about how bad the kit is before purchasing it. Maybe I should thank Monogram for letting me see what I was getting. And saving me both the money, and disappointment. 

6 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Mike, I never knew that about that kit! Just goes to show how they really dropped the ball! Now I may go out and find one just because of that! :D

Drat! I could have helped you out.  I had an eBay sale end yesterday and one of those '65 El Caminos was in it.  I started the bidding at $9.99, and that's what it sold for, with 1 bid.  It had been up on eBay for 2 weeks.  The first week, it didn't get a single bid, so I re-listed it. Another identical kit did sell that first week.  I have 1 '65 El Camino left and plan to keep it. At least for now.

AMT/ERTL did a "Buyer's Choice" release of this kit once that was a little better. The drag version of the El Camino was on the box top, on a plain white background with no text.  Just the "Buyer's Choice" sticker.   

1 minute ago, Mike999 said:

Drat! I could have helped you out.  I had an eBay sale end yesterday and one of those '65 El Caminos was in it.  I started the bidding at $9.99, and that's what it sold for, with 1 bid.  It had been up on eBay for 2 weeks.  The first week, it didn't get a single bid, so I re-listed it. Another identical kit did sell that first week.  I have 1 '65 El Camino left and plan to keep it. At least for now.

AMT/ERTL did a "Buyer's Choice" release of this kit once that was a little better. The drag version of the El Camino was on the box top, on a plain white background with no text.  Just the "Buyer's Choice" sticker.   

That's OK Mike! :D

I went to a local toy show in York PA, and I think I came away with some nice gems just the same! Needless to say, I need more models like I need to gain the weight back! More than likely, Round 2 will reissue this kit down the road (may be planning on next year for all we know), and it'll be great if they could reintro that cool box art.

7 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Who could forget this gem??

Pic courtesy eBay.....

s-l1600.jpg.aa51b551e726b9c705e1bc4aed218da6.jpg

There are sooo many things wrong with the car it ain't funny! Those of you who know about the real car and this kit------we could go on for hours! It was so bad that there was even an article written about in SA by Larry Greenberg (?) called "Dog's Day".

To add insult to injury, because this kit was altered so badly, we'll never see the original Bonneville return.

Way to go AMT/ERTL!! :(

Well, the Bonneville was reissued after this kit at least once or twice...not sure if they had a separate body tool or what..

s-l400.jpg

6 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Well, the Bonneville was reissued after this kit at least once or twice...not sure if they had a separate body tool or what..

s-l400.jpg

Hmmm..........I wonder if they replaced the lower side strakes that was unique to the Bonneville? Hard to tell from the pic, but the lower sides look kinda smooth to me.

BTW, that box art leaves much to be desired too! :huh:

Edited by MrObsessive

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Some of those early MK issue kits had really amateurish box art. 

You got that right. I guess someone thought this pic would sell the model?  ,,Um,, model of exactly what now? car in foreground?, car in background, loader that seems to be featured in the picture??

Related image