Model Cars Magazine Forum

Terrible Box Art

11 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Not sure how that is supposed to be a GTO, hopefully the model inside builds up better than what is shown on the box! If it looks like the box art, I would think Ferrari would not be very happy!

It was the old Aurora kit, right?

1 hour ago, Junkman said:

Although Ertl/AMT scores pretty high, they weren't the only ones.

lindberg-1-32-scale-1971-corvette-stingr

I mean, that's actually a paper model, done on heavy card stock, panel lines drawn with an ink pen, right? It's uncomfortable to even look at it.  Imagine what happens after you open the box and look inside. :wacko:

Yep, that Ferrari was the old 1/25 scale Aurora. 

And double-Yep, AMT-ERTL just seemed to give up in the 1990s.  Submitted for your approval, as Rod Serling used to say...look at these 2 boxes for the same kit.  What a difference!  The original art, with the camper out in the woods, just screams "Build me!"  You want to buy it just for the box.  And along with the camper, it had all the drag and custom parts.

So did the second kit shown, but you'd never know it.  Not one word on the box about the camper being inside, or any other parts/options.  Just that flat, uninspired "retouched photo of prototype model," as the box helpfully (and unnecessarily) tells us.  Plus 3 small photos of the engine and interior.  Ugh.

elc65-1.jpg

elc65-2.jpg

Who could forget this gem??

Pic courtesy eBay.....

s-l1600.jpg.aa51b551e726b9c705e1bc4aed218da6.jpg

There are sooo many things wrong with the car it ain't funny! Those of you who know about the real car and this kit------we could go on for hours! It was so bad that there was even an article written about in SA by Larry Greenberg (?) called "Dog's Day".

To add insult to injury, because this kit was altered so badly, we'll never see the original Bonneville return.

Way to go AMT/ERTL!! :(

2 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

This illustrates perfectly why I prefer the photo boxes even though they aren't as pretty as the painted ones.   At least you see whar you're getting, and in cases like this, what to avoid.

Totally agree.  (Hmm. Seems that quoted replies no longer show the accompanying images)

Edited by sjordan2

1 hour ago, sjordan2 said:

Totally agree.  (Hmm. Seems that quoted replies no longer show the accompanying images)

There's a big difference between bad layout and a photo of a bad model.   I avoided that Monogram Ferrari too because of that photo on the box.  If that photo was of a nicely detail model that actually capture the look of a Ferrari GTO, then Monogram would have made a sale.  I buy models to build them (eventually, I swear!), not to collect boxes,  so box aesthetics are usually not a factor.   If anything, I tend to shy away from fancy painted boxes if I've had a bad experience with that manufacturer, doubly so if there's some disclaimer that the kit may not be exactly as shown.  Lindberg's '53 Ford is a pretty nice kit, but based on past experience, I probably wouldn't have given it a chance if there hadn't been a photo of the model to show me what I was getting into.