Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

It's wishful thinking but I'd like to see the vintage Johan tooling for it's model cars found and put the kits back into production. The ones on E Bay are commanding a king's ransom even the ones that are built. I was looking for a AMC Rebel Machine and I saw one that was built but it was painted all blue. However, the car was very well done and the price wasn't too bad so not being a picky guy, I bought it. I'm happy.

Edited by John M.
  • Like 2

On 1/6/2022 at 3:11 PM, 1972coronet said:

Still hoping for reissues of the MPC Celica / Supra 'twins'.  Also hoping that some better tyres are created / included .

I think there is a good chance you'll see the MPC early 1980's Supra reissued.  In fact, I thought I read somewhere that this was already announced????   TB 

• Like 1

OK....since we are dreaming....

Newly tooled off patterned off original annual kits (like the '63 Nova wagon and the IH Cabover)

* MPC 1968 Coronet R/T HT and Convertible

* MPC 1971 Impala HT 

* MPC (nee AMT) 1928 Model A Tudor (if indeed crucial parts of the original tooling cannot be found)  

* MPC 1972 Dodge D100 Adventurer SE

* AMT 1967 Galaxie 500 XL HT and Convertible

* MPC 1970/71 Cyclone Spoiler and GT

* AMT 1969 Gas Ronda Long-Nose Mustang funny car 

All new tooling/new subjects:  for all, full stand-alone engine and powertrain detail, partial or omitted engine componentry unacceptable!!!! 

* 1962-1964 Ferrari Berlinetta Lusso 

* 2020- present Ferrari Roma Coupe 

* 2021-present Ford F-150 Raptor and upcoming Raptor R

* 2021-present Ford Bronco 2dr, 4dr, and upcoming Raptor

* 2018-2022 Ford Mustang GT, GT350, Bulllit, Mach 1, GT500 in HT (and where applicable) convertible versions

* 2021-present Corvette Coupe and Convertible 

* 1970/71 Cyclone (off Revell Torino tool, if Round 2 does not do as above)

* 1970/71 Ranchero GT and Squire (off Revell Torino Tool) 

* 1968-1972 GTO series, HT and Convertible, including 1970 Judge and the first-ever correct 1/25th scale RA-IV engine componentry 

* 1970 1/2-1973 Firebird 400/455 Formula and Trans-AM, including 1971 455 HO and 1973 SuperDuty 

* 2022 Ford F150 Lightning

* 2023 Chevy Electric Silverado 

* 1968-1972 Javelin and Javelin AMX (with correct 390/400 engine)

* Generic (but all new tooled) 1966-1970 front engine rail with licensing from top drivers of the period 

Modified reissues:

* MPC Dyno Don and Gapp&Roush Pro Stock Pintos ({by far, the most authentic in MPC's Pro Stock kit series)  

* AMT-Ertl 1971 Charger Rod Shop Stocker 

* MPC Charger III

* Moebius/Model King 1965 Super Stock Belvedere as campaigned by Butch Leal from 1972-74 

* AMT Nitro-Charger funny car

* Current top fuel rail dragsters (based off Revell's early 1990's tooling which could be adapted to current rail dragster format/technology) 

* Polar Lights 1969 Camaro Dickie Harrell Logghe funny car (project was under consideration during original Polar Lights ownership)  

Several others I've already mentioned to Round 2 and should probably not mention here. 

TB

PS- there are at least 2-3 others I would mention here, except they are already under development (but not yet announced) by the modeling companies...

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 3

HI!  

To Tim's point about new tooling of the AMC Javelin and AMX... It would be great. The glorious Trans-Am years, coupled with aging demos amongst model builders might be a solid sales "floor", providing for stock and drag variations on the kits. Who knows...

I was lucky to find two (!) Javelin 68 and 69 promos in good shape, at about 80$ apiece, plus a complete Johan Javelin funny-car kit, 68 vintage, for... 5$ ! (yes!) Trouble was mice had relieved themselves on the original box. Try as I might, could never get it at an acceptable "smell" level, alas. But the kit survived. It's in line for a build session later this year. 

So much styrene, so little time...

CT 

If we’re gonna wish for all-new kits, how about:

-1973 Chevy El Camino

-1948-53 Dodge B-series pickup and carryall

-1982-88 Ford Ranger 

-1949-51 Lincoln Cosmopolitan

-1939-40 Mercury Eight convertible

-Any Chrysler K car

Modified reissues:

-1950 Chevy Suburban

-1981-89 Dodge D/W150 pickup

-1951-52 Ford F1 pickup

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

-1973 Chevy El Camino

-1982-88 Ford Ranger 

Any stock Colonnade would be awesome ! I can totally see a 1973-1974 with the option of a 350 or 454, and period correct hop-up parts; a camper shell, too. 

Frankly, I'm surprised that the 1983-1989 Ranger wasn't committed to styrene -- promo or kit -- when they were new (same with the S10 / S15). Wildly popular, and superior to the Mazda-based models (which I also like, but the Ranger was better) .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I can totally see a 1973-1974 with the option of a 350 or 454, and period correct hop-up parts; a camper shell, too. 

I can see a red ‘73 with a blue driver side door, a gray primered hood, and a yellow list inside. Definitely a few ways to go with a kit like that. A camper shell option would sound sweet too. 

I agree about the Ranger, it’s odd that the XJ Cherokee wasn’t kitted either given its popularity. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

*MPC 1968 Coronet R/T HT and Convertible

With individual , unique-to-each-body-style interiors

* MPC 1971 Impala HT 

* MPC 1972 Dodge D100 Adventurer SE

Did the original annual have a different interior / tub from its later iterations? I know that the earlier versions of the Dodge D/W Series had the deluxe wheel covers for the 2WD version -- other than grille and trim and badging, what other parts were unique to the earlier pickups ?

* AMT 1967 Galaxie 500 XL HT and Convertible

YES ! With similar options to the AMT 1960 Starliner !

* MPC 1970/71 Cyclone Spoiler and GT

Pretty please ! I've never seen the stock versions of those dreamy Mercs from MPC, though I know that they existed.

[ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------]

* 1970/71 Cyclone (off Revell Torino tool, if Round 2 does not do as above)

* 1970/71 Ranchero GT and Squire (off Revell Torino Tool) 

YES ! Be best if the 351-C and 429 were included, as well as auto and 4-speed options.

* 1968-1972 GTO series, HT and Convertible, including 1970 Judge and the first-ever correct 1/25th scale RA-IV engine componentry 

Imagine how off the hook sales would be for any kit with a correct Ram Air IV in modern tooling ! 

* 1970 1/2-1973 Firebird 400/455 Formula and Trans-AM, including 1971 455 HO and 1973 SuperDuty 

I agree -- 100% new tooling , please. 1973-1974 455-SD's are thee supercars of those respective years.

* 1968-1972 Javelin and Javelin AMX (with correct 390/400 engine)

Another overlooked subject outside of the JoHan kits of yore (and their inclusion of the old Nash 287/ 327 !?!) . A new Drag-On Lady 1969 SS AMX would be awesome !

Modified reissues:

* MPC Dyno Don and Gapp&Roush Pro Stock Pintos ({by far, the most authentic in MPC's Pro Stock kit series)

Those would fly off the shelves !  

* AMT-Ertl 1971 Charger Rod Shop Stocker 

That was an option -- at least decal-wise --for the original MPC 1972 Charger Rallye , IIRC.

Sorry to hear about the Uncertain t,  I still have the one I built I the 70s, just have to restore it.

I think Monogram told me in the 90s in a phone call the same is true about Starbird's Futurista.

For decades I have been wondering about the Renwal  Revival series from '66, (almost curbside  kits ) these where on clearance for 1.00 at most hobby shops for most of the 70s.

did any of those molds survive ? and would Atlantis have them?

I have a complete set, but as the cars go for big money, would  rather build a reissued set.

$(KGrHqJHJCYE7yzsd72yBPDcgWG!nQ~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqNHJBME7)6Mq7pNBPDcfjv8i!~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqNHJCcE7y+!J0uMBPDceubIfw~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqRHJBwE7y2kp7j+BPDchCrr0w~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqVHJ!sE7yElVvYoBPDchwDgIg~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqVHJB8E7yuqUr0GBPDcidZ5wQ~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqZHJDQE7y9+vCcpBPDcjK63y!~~60_12.JPG

• Like 1

Steve, others might know, but the Renwal tooling seems to have vanished.

I agree, it would ne awesome to see them revived, but Unless Elon Musk, Bill Gates, or Tim Cook have a secret love of old Renwal and Johan kits, both are deader than the DoDo...... Sadly.

Beautiful collection of those classics, btw. Feel Free to post many more photos of them.

1 hour ago, s.p.e.c.t.r.e. said:

Sorry to hear about the Uncertain t,  I still have the one I built I the 70s, just have to restore it.

I think Monogram told me in the 90s in a phone call the same is true about Starbird's Futurista.

For decades I have been wondering about the Renwal  Revival series from '66, (almost curbside  kits ) these where on clearance for 1.00 at most hobby shops for most of the 70s.

did any of those molds survive ? and would Atlantis have them?

I have a complete set, but as the cars go for big money, would  rather build a reissued set.

$(KGrHqJHJCYE7yzsd72yBPDcgWG!nQ~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqNHJBME7)6Mq7pNBPDcfjv8i!~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqNHJCcE7y+!J0uMBPDceubIfw~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqRHJBwE7y2kp7j+BPDchCrr0w~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqVHJ!sE7yElVvYoBPDchwDgIg~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqVHJB8E7yuqUr0GBPDcidZ5wQ~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqZHJDQE7y9+vCcpBPDcjK63y!~~60_12.JPG

Tim, I think if the Firebird jus had updates to the original Monogram tooling you could have your Formulas.  

My problem with the TransAm is the nose is so inaccurate that I don't want to build the kit..I could remodel or remold it, but have other fish to fry...

10 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Any or all of the 88-98 GM trucks. 

This has my vote as well. They’re too expensive for me to buy them up whenever I see one. I easily have 10 of these kits but always want more. They’re my favorite body style truck that GM produced. 

11 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Any or all of the 88-98 GM trucks. 

Absolutely !  I was lucky enough to score a 1988 annual and a 1990 454-SS , both in mint condition.  I'm thinking of converting the '88 annual to a C-2500, as the long bed is more fitting on a 3/4 ton . Heck , I'm even toying with converting it to diesel power -- assuming that I can find a 6.2 litre in 1/25 scale (an earlier version could be based on the Revell 307 Olds engine).

But , I digress...

A camper shell would be a great addition to the long bed version.

14 hours ago, steveracer said:

Tim, I think if the Firebird jus had updates to the original Monogram tooling you could have your Formulas.  

My problem with the TransAm is the nose is so inaccurate that I don't want to build the kit..I could remodel or remold it, but have other fish to fry...

Steve....my view is that the 70.5 Trans-Am Monogram was so thoroughly compromised in its execution that to do additional derivatives would just not work.  In addition to the nose issue you correctly cite and to which I thoroughly agree, the engine in this kit actually a poorly executed update of the 1980-81 301 Turbo from the original kit tooling.  While all Pontiac V8's were similar in outward appearance, there was enough difference in the smaller engine to clearly differentiate it from the RA IV for those who (like me, and perhaps you too) are into Pontiac minutia.   For me, I envision a morph of the MPC 1970.5-1973 Firebird annual kit bodies with the underbody gubbins of the AMT-ERtl 1970.5 Z-28 kit, along with an all-new and fully correct RA-IV V8.  There, now II feel better!  :) 

Thx for the comments....TIM 

• Thanks 1

Two others I meant to include and missed....

* 1967-68 Chevy pickups (unique front end design not shared with later models and only available to builders today as highly priced AMT (1967) or MPC (1968) annual kits with greatly simplified chassis/frame and engine executions.   

* Dodge W-350 Power Wagon (post WW-II to 1968) 4x4.  Several knowledgeable sources in the kit industry have stated that such a kit topic underwent a "measuring session" in advance of kit tooling that eventually never materialized.  Other recent kit introductions have used info from measuring sessions originally conducted around the same time frame as that Power Wagon session, so someone most likely still has that completed work at hand....

TB 

Tim, I did not look into details of my TransAm kit after I looked at the nose section and just tossed it in the back room!  I need to pay more attention to the drivetrains, but seem to be more drawn to the "curbside" appeal of models as I look at them.  Back in the day you surely could see the OEM's supporting the model industry with design assistance, mainly due to the promos I believe.  

Were/are you in the auto industry here in Michigan?   With attention to detail, I would suppose so.  I started life as a mechanic so am very sympathetic to the mechanical side, and ended up in design as a graduate of CCS and spending many years sniffing clay in the studios.  The amount of effort we put into design by the mm is astonishing to the outside world.  To get it right - JUST right took a lot of effort.  Along the way I found time for motorsports LOL.  

I really love the 67 68 chevy pickup front ends, that is such a beautiful design.   

I would add bring back the 67 Skylark GS (or not as I have one unbuilt he he) although I know it isn't gonna happen due to the stock car butcher shop job.  Perhaps update the GSX into a 70-72 Gran Sport and adjust the front grille/headlamp fit so that we don't have to.  

In regards to any possible re-issue of AMC subject matter; I don't believe the can of worms with JoHan will ever be resolved. From my sources, and I could be wrong, but the rights/licensing in the hands one individual, and the molds are in another's possession. Can anyone say legal battle? From what I understand, the owner of the JoHan has the rights but not in possession of the molding. Worse yet, he is old and doesn't have the funds needed to go to court to get the molds back in his hands. Anyone out there have any clarity concerning this then please give your added info.

With the obvious success that Mobius has had with all the pickup kits they have done, I don't understand why they wouldn't venture into the AMC void of kits out there. If, and it is a big 'if' Mobius was to decide to produce a line Mavericks they would kill in generating that much needed profit margin producing them. Success achieved, Mobius could move on to produce more AMC vehicles. I have come to the conclusion that none of us should look forward to any JoHan kits ever being reproduced.

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

1967-68 Chevy pickups (unique front end design not shared with later models and only available to builders today as highly priced AMT (1967) or MPC (1968) annual kits with greatly simplified chassis/frame and engine executions. 

Absolutely ! All-new tooling at that -- none of that long in the tooth poodle poop from the 1972 C-10, either. 

Likewise, a series of 1973-1979 C/K's with ad infinitum variations (think: Moebius' F-Series) .

• Like 1