Model Cars Magazine Forum

Randy Ayers Nascar board

The Junkman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last I heard from those in charge........data base  error that takes time to fix. Those that have access to DB do not have time to fix issue......so nothing has been started yet.....no eta....very sad if we lost all that data.....some personal accounts from folks that lived it and are now passed......can not replace that.

Sounds like those in charge dont feel like its important to them enough to find the time to fix the DB error.

But if I were to speak honest,  its best to let it die, it was shell of once a decent NASCAR forum,  the fact that you could not talk about NASCAR on a dedicated forum to NASCAR modeling was sad. 

Its shame that a lot of great info will be lost,  9 times out of 10, any Google search for anything NASCAR model related would lead right to Randy's.

I had quit going there a couple of months before it shut down. It was starting to get a real negative vibe about it. Like Dave and Jonathan said, its sad because so much really good reference material will be lost if it goes away for good.  

Edited by MarkJ

I have been a member on that board for about a year. I’ve posted a couple of builds and asked a few questions and I gotta say I have never seen even one negative comment. Everyone that posted was very nice and any questions I had they were very helpful. I am one that really hopes they get it back online. 

Sad news - bad news

I ´m very sadly if Randy´s will be shot down and never came back online - Randy´s board is my home and great reference homepage for several years especially for us stock car fans at europe, we havnt any other likewise references here or groups as you guys in USA.  I will waitin on and hope Randy´s can revive because no other alternative exists or anyboby knews an other extra NASCAR model cars board? 

1 hour ago, Stroker Ace said:

Sad news - bad news

I ´m very sadly if Randy´s will be shot down and never came back online - Randy´s board is my home and great reference homepage for several years especially for us stock car fans at europe, we havnt any other likewise references here or groups as you guys in USA.  I will waitin on and hope Randy´s can revive because no other alternative exists or anyboby knews an other extra NASCAR model cars board? 

Thomas, I respectfully disagree. If you are able to access this board then you should be able to access anything on the web. There are many people on this board and other boards who have huge knowledge about Nascar and can answer any question you need answered. I'm sure 90 percent of the members of Randy's don't just stay at Randy's. A new board that I was invited to , "Short Track Models" is full of very knowledgeable people about Nascar. So there's another one you should try. Don't let the name fool you, they cover more than just short track models.

Edited by MarkJ

If that database had a large and significant failure as I am interpreting from this thread, it could be a long time before it is back up.  I have created small databases that became corrupted and the time it took to fix the problems was considerable.  This would be a large database and I am sure the people who created it and maintain it have lives outside of the database. So they take care of this in their spare time.  To fix this, one would have to devote a lot of time and and do it in large chunks at a time.  This would not be something one does 30 minutes here and there.

8 hours ago, Jim N said:

If that database had a large and significant failure as I am interpreting from this thread, it could be a long time before it is back up.  I have created small databases that became corrupted and the time it took to fix the problems was considerable.  This would be a large database and I am sure the people who created it and maintain it have lives outside of the database. So they take care of this in their spare time.  To fix this, one would have to devote a lot of time and and do it in large chunks at a time.  This would not be something one does 30 minutes here and there.

Yep.  From experience in my own line of work, it may be a simple fix, or it may be many, many hours of work. 

I’m a moderator at Randy’s. All I know about the board is that it will be back, when is unknown. Last I heard from Bob Hanner they were trying to save the database and membership files. There are some comments made in this thread I would like to address:

It is true that the Nascar Racing discussion section was taken down. It had become a major problem to try and moderate it and keep it civil. Guidelines and rules were clearly stated and some just chose to constantly ignore them. We begged, we pleaded , we tried everything up to and including suspending repeat offenders.

Nothing worked. Some of the garbage being posted there really hurt the board as it directly lead to people who worked inside Nascar and the teams to leave. One example is Mike Beam, a long time Nascar crew chief and a wealth of information helpful to modelers. At the time he was working for Kyle Busch running his Truck program. And some would post profane, vile tirades against KBM whenever they won a Truck or Nationwide (now Xfinity) Series race. That team employs somewhere between 150 to 175 people who make their living racing, and when some of the posts was about how that team should fold or not be allowed to compete…etc… no wonder someone like Mr. Beam left. There were others lost the same way who literally had decades of experience inside the sport building and racing cars, and we just could not get the problem posters to understand that.

Bob Hanner created a Nascar racing discussion page on Facebook, some went there to vent about the racing but not the problem guys. While not publicly announcing it, late last season the moderators decided to allow some racing related posts to stay up, to see how things would go, with an eye towards opening back up the racing discussion area again, if in a somewhat limited form.

Others left over arguments about vendor bashing. Again, we have always stated not to do that., to keep any issues between a member and a vendor off the board but some just continue to post rants ripping resin casters, decal makers, and others, then getting upset when the post was locked or deleted. That is one problem that seems to just go on and on, and on.

Lastly, over the years some felt that the board leaned more to the dark side (vintage) Nascar builders. I think overall it did and I can see where modern builders may have felt left out, but it was unintentional and efforts have been made to keep the modern builder feeling just as important as the vintage builder.

That being said, hopefully it will be back up soon and the database will be available, it’s a great source of reference.

Edited by Gary66