Model Cars Magazine Forum

Work bench ideas?

1 hour ago, Jhedir6 said:

I still have room to add some more modules down the road,

Dave,  I am curious.......aprox. how much did the moduals pictured set you back with shipping? one, two Benjamin's?

REALLY like the way it's coming together!!

11 minutes ago, Khils said:

Dave,  I am curious.......aprox. how much did the moduals pictured set you back with shipping? one, two Benjamin's?

REALLY like the way it's coming together!!

The cost was close to $200 US including shipping. I got them with a discount coupon the vendor had on for Black Friday so my total was $155.../8pcs so just under $20 ea shipped. IMO a very reasonable price. The great thing is they're modular so you can add and rearrange as needed. I've only just finished building them this morning and started filling them up and am amazed at how much clutter I've already eliminated from my hobby boxes/bins I've been storing stuff in. In a couple months I'll order some more pieces to fill out the bench. I already know I need some more paint units as I have lots of Tamiya and Model Master bottles yet to find a home.

23 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

IMO a very reasonable price!

First off ......Thanks for the demo & info.      book marked their site.

Second...reasonable enough for me......gonna pull the trigger & "un-mess" my mess!    Kevin

I built a modeling desk using 5 Ikea kitchen closet units / cabinets. I love the room in the 10 drawers, and the two top closets contain the boxes of project under construction. The table top was custom made, with a glass surface, and that is a limited success. It's scratched quite badly in the work area now. On the right I have a spray booth, that was under construction when I made the photo way back. Notice the VCR :-)

Rob

desk-06.jpg

This is my bench.  I bought the tall kitchen cabinets cheap when a big box store went out of business.  The counter tops and drawer knobs came from a kitchen remodel and the chair out of the dumpster when my office building was being remodeled.  I like the tall bench so the work area is at almost eye level when sitting down or tall enough to work standing up.

5a4ebdfe24809_ModelBench.jpg.8569de928ddf87553e6360921bf17ca5.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:21 PM, Jhedir6 said:

My new workbench is mostly complete. The last of the modules are assembled and I'm in the process of filling them up...which looks like its going to take at least twice as long as it did to build the bloody things. I still have room to add some more modules down the road, but for now I have enough to keep me occupied. 

2v2uz9SmnxAcGTn.jpgHosted on Fotki

David, that looks good.  I think Leading Edge Hobbies in Kingston carries the same system.  I will have to inquire

1 hour ago, vintagercr said:

David, that looks good.  I think Leading Edge Hobbies in Kingston carries the same system.  I will have to inquire

Steve, they do. But when I went to their site most of what I wanted was back ordered. Also, even with the exchange and shipping it was a lot cheaper for me to order it from the US. I have the advantage of living close enough to the border to ship US items to my sister's place and just pick it up there. The difference in price was close to $100. 

8 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

Steve, they do. But when I went to their site most of what I wanted was back ordered. Also, even with the exchange and shipping it was a lot cheaper for me to order it from the US. I have the advantage of living close enough to the border to ship US items to my sister's place and just pick it up there. The difference in price was close to $100. 

David, I use Kineks and have items shipped to Wellesley Island and run over the border and pick them up.  I have bought things where the shipping is free.

23 hours ago, Rider said:
Under construction. 

img_4518.jpg
img_4519.jpg
img_4522.jpg
img_0610.jpg
img_4520.jpg
img_4521.jpg
img_4523.jpg
img_4524.jpg

img_4530.jpg

Nice work area but I'd get dizzy after I filled up a spot on the table and spinning around trying to locate something!!!!!! LMBO!!!!!!!!

I like it though!!!!! Gives me some ideas for if and when I ever get into an area larger than a flea's butt!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2017 at 10:09 PM, Nick Notarangelo said:

I got a roll-top desk so when I am done building or I have wet I can close the top to keep hands off and yes I remove the lamp

100_0464.JPG

Best part about the "roll Top" desk is you can roll it shut making it safe from little fingers and nice and neat for the little lady :D

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:57 AM, Rider said:
Under construction. 

img_4518.jpg
img_4519.jpg
img_4522.jpg
img_0610.jpg
img_4520.jpg
img_4521.jpg
img_4523.jpg
img_4524.jpg

img_4530.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:57 AM, Rider said:
Under construction. 

img_4518.jpg
img_4519.jpg
img_4522.jpg
img_0610.jpg
img_4520.jpg
img_4521.jpg
img_4523.jpg
img_4524.jpg

img_4530.jpg

I really hope that you have an explosion proof fan in that system, other than that it looks like a really good design. I just don't want to see someone get hurt trying to enjoy this hobby.