Model Cars Magazine Forum

My sole build for 2017

MrObsessive

Well, this year hasn't been that prolific for me at all! If it wasn't for taking a break and restoring this one, I really wouldn't have anything "finished" for this year. In a sense, if I wanted to include all the things I've done on the Green Hornet so far this year, I guess those could be considered "kits". ;)

Here's my Fujimi EM series '63 Porsche 356 which I originally built back in 1987-'88. It was in super neglect when I came across it, so I couldn't help but feel sorry for it, and brought it back to life.

Here 'tis.............................

image.png.65593ded19cc951c607c7b915801539a.png
image.png.4bd043ad9f4e119937765fad5f11456f.png
image.png.19a0e1888aeea8dcbb5f687d1c7ed0fa.png
image.png.95b947f397ce069e572cb29f67b2bf34.png
image.png.87fd9fc66eccca378fb1e2aa4ad3c430.png
image.png.dff045aba7d3079bcbd4f35d3390f44a.png
image.png.9281f9a80b1ec2f033504d007076b52f.png

If you're interested to see what a mess this was in..........you can go here.

29 minutes ago, Mahogany Rush said:

Very nice! Do the doors open or is that panel paint? I need to start painting my panel lines. Looks great.

Max, that is India Ink IIRC that I used back then. If I were doing a new build of this today, the panel lines would be just a tad lighter. OTOH, I might just go through the trouble and open up the doors! Something that I was not quite familiar with yet in 1988. ;)

9 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

It's a nice one, Bill. What exactly is involved in a "refresh" of a 30 year old model, to your mind anyway? And all the best this holiday season and a happy 2018 to you and yours.

Bernard, I don't know if you saw the pics in my embedded link, but this to my mind was a real mess! Very dirty, scratched glass, and I wanted to do a better job in making the engine (particularly the wiring) more realistic. I just decided to practically disassemble everything and redo it save for stripping the body and repainting it.

Interesting enough, I have a fresh unbuilt kit of this but I figured I'd try something somewhat challenging, as it's the first time I've restored any of my own ancient builds. ^_^