Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Corvette 427

Modlbldr

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I've given up on trying to "match" most tan interiors. I've got a couple cans of Krylon or Rustoleum "satin" tans I use for interiors. They look okay to me and I can't recall anyone ever saying, "Hey, your tan interior color ain't right." B)

The different shades of Tan/Beige interior colors can very widely. I suggest looking at some of the Tamiya colors when you go shopping again. Colors that I have used in the past from light to dark are TS-68 Wooden Deck Tan, AS-15 Tan (USAF), Ts-46 Light Sand, TS-3 Dark Yellow, and AS-22 Dark Earth (RAF). Their Military colors dry with a perfect look of a Leather interior. They offer many others but these I have been pleased with.  

22 minutes ago, espo said:

The different shades of Tan/Beige interior colors can very widely. I suggest looking at some of the Tamiya colors when you go shopping again. Colors that I have used in the past from light to dark are TS-68 Wooden Deck Tan, AS-15 Tan (USAF), Ts-46 Light Sand, TS-3 Dark Yellow, and AS-22 Dark Earth (RAF). Their Military colors dry with a perfect look of a Leather interior. They offer many others but these I have been pleased with.  

I don't have access to Tamiya paints. I can get some Testor/Model Master colors, and have used a lot of FS 30219 (Vietnam-era Dark Tan) in the past on tan guts. I might start experimenting with craft acrylics, as it seems that just about any color you can imagine is available in those lines, and cheap, too. I need to play with both brushing and airbrushing them. Interiors would seem to be a good place to use such paints.

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I don't have access to Tamiya paints. I can get some Testor/Model Master colors, and have used a lot of FS 30219 (Vietnam-era Dark Tan) in the past on tan guts. I might start experimenting with craft acrylics, as it seems that just about any color you can imagine is available in those lines, and cheap, too. I need to play with both brushing and airbrushing them. Interiors would seem to be a good place to use such paints.

I figured that I would try craft acrylics for the same reasons. I have a few colors of them, just not what I need. Been working on the chassis the last couple of days so nothing exciting to share. I am also in the process of adding redline tire decals from the recent 67 Camaro kit. More progress this weekend and I'll get some progress pics up by Monday morning. Stay tuned.

Later-

Oh, and just to clarify: The orange plastic isn't "bleeding through" your gold paint. It's just the base color that you've laid a somewhat translucent paint on, that's all. If you'd primed the body in white, or in black, you'd have ended up with two different colors, but no one would be talking about your primer "bleeding through." B)

I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised when you try craft acrylics for interiors. It tends to dry to a very convincing vinyl-looking finish, and can be brushed on just fine. ( Thin coats, with a short dry time between coats)

OP, that color is NICE! I may have to find some for a custom '70 Impala I've been wrestling with, so thank you for bringing it to my (our) attention!

14 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised when you try craft acrylics for interiors. It tends to dry to a very convincing vinyl-looking finish, and can be brushed on just fine. ( Thin coats, with a short dry time between coats)

OP, that color is NICE! I may have to find some for a custom '70 Impala I've been wrestling with, so thank you for bringing it to my (our) attention!

Yeah, I've been using craft paint for a little bit now and it is great for interiors. 

Glad you like the color and that I could help.

Later-

Got some time in tonight at the bench. Got most of the chassis work done. Judging by the box art car I assumed the suspension would sit a bit high so I cut the A arms a bit and reglued them at a bit of an angle up, as well as adjusting the king pins back to level. I also trimmed down the mounting points for the rear axle. All told, I assume I lowered the suspension a hair over 1/16 inch. Nothing drastic, but should help the look a bit.

Tonight I also installed the red line tire decals from the most current Revell 67 Camaro kit. But, as is normal, the last one broke on me and ended up a bit off center. So, if anyone has a set from the Camaro kit that they won't be using, I'd love to trade for them.

Here is the photos.

http://IMG_20180126_205057961.jpg

http://IMG_20180126_205550139_BURST001.jpg

As you can see in the second pic, NOT GOOD!

That's enough for tonight. Going to try to polish the body tomorrow and, hopefully, get some BMF on.

Later-

Gotten some progress done over the last few days. Got most of the chassis done and about half of the engine. Tonight I did some BMF work. Still have a bit of BMF to do but need to head to bed.

This week's progress:

Three tires decaled and hit with DulCote. The fourth got off center. 

http://IMG_20180131_143944731.jpg

http://IMG_20180201_102725040.jpg

http://IMG_20180201_102752442.jpg

http://IMG_20180202_214925922.jpg

http://IMG_20180202_215023965.jpg

Comments and criticisms welcomed.

Later-

Kelson,

Thanks. I am trying to get the shade by spraying one color and misting another over it. I have the color I want but the consistency is lacking. I may have to strip it and try again. About the chrome, the pics I saw has a split between the chrome on the t tops. There is also a division between the t tops and the windshield frame where the black seal is. My plan is to flow some thinned flat black between the t tops and the windshield frame.

Later-

Thanks guys. Yeah, George. Thanks for the help with the parts. I'll get my end of the bargain out to you tomorrow. I have never painted red lines on the tires before but I can't imagine it would be too difficult. The decals we're a lot easier than I figured they would be. I got the fourth one done and I'll spray the DulCote on it tomorrow and get the wheel mounted on the chassis. I'll try to finish the BMF this coming weekend when I can get a bit of time to sit without being interrupted. Even during my.lunch and breaks at work I am constantly getting interrupted.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Don't forget the little chrome strip that goes across the windshield wiper panel at the base of the windshield, there's also a tiny stainless piece that goes along the top of the doors, it's actually part of the window felt but it's there just the same. 

And like everyone else I love that color, its almost a match to a factory color in '69.

Edited by horsepower