Model Cars Magazine Forum

Station Wagon Kits

hpiguy

As far as conventional 4-door wagons, as Snake mentioned, the 65 and 66 Chevelles would be my first choices.

You mentioned '80s and older, so there are also the Revell '48 Ford woodie, and the AMT '41 Ford woodie.  Going back even further there are several Model A woodie kits (Monogram, Revell, and MPC, I believe)

I think everything else that's been recently available has been 2-doors.  In addition to the Nomads, there's the recent Revell '57 Ford Del Rio and '49 Mercury.  Round 2 recently reissued the MPC Pinto wagon and AMT Pacer wagon.

Johan had the 1960 Plymouth and 1961 Olds F-85 in their USA Oldies line, but those were gone by the early-to-mid-90s.  Can't think of anything else that's been offered new in the last 20 to 30 years, though I'm probably forgetting something.

And no, I'm not including foreign branded subject matter, I know there have been some Subarus and such, just zero interest on my part.

Edited by Robberbaron

I don't see two-doors specifically excluded, and Nomads have been mentioned.  So, I'll throw in the Revell '49 Mercury and '57 Ford.  For four-door wagons, Jimmy Flintstone offers a couple of Fords ('57 and '59).  He's also got an Edsel two-door wagon body that fits the Revell '57 Ford kit and uses other parts from the AMT Edsel kit.

The Revell 66 Chevelle wagon will need a donor kit such as the Revell 66 El Camino for the stock hood and wheels but it makes a nice model. The Pinto wagon and the Pacer wagon are currently in most hobby shops. Hubley made some early 60s Ford wagons and they show up on eBay pretty often. They are pretty much unassembled promos, but they look nice when put together.

Back in the 1980s, Revell-Germany did a Mercedes 200TD as a pretty neat German fire chief's car.  Aoshima later re-boxed it as a civilian 230TE, and it has also appeared in a Revell-Germany box as a basic 230TE.  Any version of it is VERY hard to find these days.

aos_230.jpg

rev200td.jpg

I love the 60s wagons and am a scale wagon model nut.   I built a 69 Plymouth 4 door wagon awhile back from the 68/69 RR kit.   

Hubley also made a 61 Ford 4 door wagon...mines rough needs a lot but its still cool...they also made a 60 Ford 4 door wagon once.

AMT made a 64 and 65 Chevelle/Malibu 4 door wagons..63 Nova 4 door wagon...78? Pinto wagon and Pacer wagon...60 Nomad 4 door wagon...62 Buick 4 door wagon..and..?

Johan made a 60 Plymouth 4 door wagon..62 Olds 4 door wagon.

Id love to build and collect more wagons..specially some like my family once owned...wagon kits are far underrated they have a ton of possible building versions if one has the parts and ideas. 

My family owned these wagons once...

57,59,61,64,70 Ford Country Squire wagons.

61,64 Falcon wagons.

65,66 Mercury Colony Park..? wagons.

66.? Buick Skylark Sport wagon.

70 Cutlass wagon

70 Lemans wagon with the GTO nose on it.

59,64,68,69,70,72 Bonneville/Safari wagons.

66,69,70,73 Impala wagons.

68 Rebel wagon.

69 Ambassador wagon.

Id love to do these someday..would be good for the memories if nothing else.

Edited by disabled modeler

15 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

The Revell 66 Chevelle wagon will need a donor kit such as the Revell 66 El Camino for the stock hood and wheels but it makes a nice model. The Pinto wagon and the Pacer wagon are currently in most hobby shops. Hubley made some early 60s Ford wagons and they show up on eBay pretty often. They are pretty much unassembled promos, but they look nice when put together.

I did this one from an old Hubley Glue-bomb.

photo DSCF4098_zpsd76ea1bc.jpg

and I made my own 67 Concours Estate Wagon  from a Revell 66 and 67 Chevelle.

photo mama dec 19 2015 003_zpsf5udskzj.jpg

and I have to decide on the color of this one.

photo zpfile001_zps940cc1b3.jpg

On February 17, 2018 at 1:00 PM, Snake45 said:

There's always the various '55-'57 Chev Nomads, too. 

Yea, everyone wants a Nomad.  I owned a 4 door '57 210 wagon, got tired of people saying "nice Nomad".  Nobody has converted a Nomad into a run-of-the-mill wagon, yet.

On February 17, 2018 at 7:29 PM, mike 51 said:

Tamiya did 2 (!) 90's Volvo 850 wagons.....one stock and one as a race car.

Yes, I built the BTCC version years ago!  Finding one at a reasonable cost is the challenge today.

Edited by 89AKurt

44 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Yea, everyone wants a Nomad.  I owned a 4 door '57 210 wagon, got tired of people saying "nice Nomad".  Nobody has converted a Nomad into a run-of-the-mill wagon, yet.

I converted one to a Sedan Delivery about 50 years ago. Didn't do a very good job because I didn't realize at the time that whole tailgate and back end of the two are completely different. Oh well.