Model Cars Magazine Forum

'79-'82 Mustang Kits-Need Info

Dodge Driver

Monogram did one in 1/24 that was pretty nice. I've never seen the MPC so can't comment on it. 

Lindberg did one too. I think it was supposed to be an '80. Not as good as a Monogram/Revell/AMT/MPC but the basic shape is pretty good and if you're doing a semi-custom, it might work well for you. 

I haven't seen too many of ANY of these kits around in a long time. Couple months ago I bought a Lindberg cheap at a local toy show/swap meet, and realized I hadn't seen one in over a decade. (I want to do a black '80 Cobra with the green trim, if I can find decals.) 

Did they do promos of these? If so, might not hurt to keep an eye out for these, too. I've been amazed at how cheap many '70s-'80s Corvette and Camaro promos sell for, especially if they're not in 100% perfect condition. Maybe the same is true of these Mustangs (I really have no idea). 

It's going to be tough to replicate a '79 though '81 Mustang GT. Since Ford didn't offer a Mustang GT between 1969 and 1982. The closest thing to the GT in 1979, '80, and '81 were the gaudy, overdressed (IMO) Mustang Cobras. Thankfully they cleaned up the car a bit with the reintroduction of the GT in 1982.

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

It's going to be tough to replicate a '79 though '81 Mustang GT. Since Ford didn't offer a Mustang GT between 1969 and 1982. The closest thing to the GT in 1979, '80, and '81 were the gaudy, overdressed (IMO) Mustang Cobras. Thankfully they cleaned up the car a bit with the reintroduction of the GT in 1982.

Thanks. My inspiration is a Mustang my buddy built in the early '90's I seem to recall it being a GT but was unsure of the exact year. It had quad headlights, the grille and the interior shown in the right hand corner of the above photo.

I think both the MPC and Monogram Mustangs from this era became later Mustangs. The MPC was last reissued about 15 years ago, as an ‘88. 

I had several of the MPC kits- many of these came with both a Turbo 4 and a 5.0 V8 as building options. Spoilers and lower skirts were usually separate add on pieces to the body (at least until ‘87-‘88: I remember those kits having lower skirts that were part of the body casting). The details were there in the MPC kits, the weak spot was probably the tires (early ‘70’s Polyglas GT’s for the earlier ones, chunky BFG Radial GT’s for the later ones). 

The Monogram kits were a little simpler, but still looked right to me. 

It might just come down to which scale you want to build in, availability, & cost. The MPC kits might just give you a little more parts swapping potential since they’re 1/25, but I think you couldn’t go wrong with the Monogram kits, either.

The Monogram and MPC are both nice.  Contrary to what some might first think though, the MPC probably has the edge in detail over the Monogram this time. 

Here's a link to the instruction sheet of an MPC Fox Mustang at the Drastic Plastic's fotki site.

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/1-sort/mpc-wild-breed-must/

The only Monogram Fox Mustang I could find on the site is the "New Monkees" kit. But it will give you an idea of how the Monogram kits build up. 

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/monogram-instructions/tv--movie/monogram-the-new-mo/

10 hours ago, Can-Con said:

The Monogram and MPC are both nice.  Contrary to what some might first think though, the MPC probably has the edge in detail over the Monogram this time. 

Here's a link to the instruction sheet of an MPC Fox Mustang at the Drastic Plastic's fotki site.

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/1-sort/mpc-wild-breed-must/

The only Monogram Fox Mustang I could find on the site is the "New Monkees" kit. But it will give you an idea of how the Monogram kits build up. 

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/monogram-instructions/tv--movie/monogram-the-new-mo/

I'm pretty sure the earlier body style Mustangs that Monogram did ended being parked at the '85 SVO which was reissued about 5 years ago or so.