Model Cars Magazine Forum

Four-door 'Cuda

Pat Minarick

Wow Pat! I REALLY like the conversion on this and yours looks soooo much better than the 1:1!

I saw that car at our Chryslers at Carlisle show last year, and while it was interesting, something about it just seemed off to me. You pointed out the windshield, and that's exactly what it is! MUCH better using the G series roof and A pillars.

Also, Chrysler had plenty of unibody four door hardtops over the years. Chrysler Corp went unit construction starting with the '60 models (save for Imperial) and each division had its share of four door pillarless models to choose from. Imperial would go unit body starting with the '67's and they still had four door hardtops in their lineup. I'm not sure your model would look right with no B pillar-------something about the shape of the roof doesn't lend itself to that. Maybe blacking out the pillar would be nice, or leaving the pillar but getting rid of the door window frames ala certain Japanese models.

Edited by MrObsessive

On 3/14/2018 at 9:20 PM, 1972coronet said:

That hardtop body style looks very nice , but is "unrealistic" from an engineering standpoint : how do the rear windows roll-down into those rear doors ?

The rears could roll down, but they'd have to 'rotate' downward somewhat in doing so. Think '56-'62 Corvette door windows. ;)

2 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

The rears could roll down, but they'd have to 'rotate' downward somewhat in doing so. Think '56-'62 Corvette door windows. ;)

I copied the door lines from the the body I stole the roof from. I'm pretty sure on a factory B body the rear windows didn't roll all the way down. I know on my old 85 Fury 4- door had like a fake rear vent window and they rolled all the way down,.

Thanks everyone,  this should be ready by the end of the month.  Jimmy Flintstone will be casting it , so it should be available from him soon after that. It will have door panels and a bench seat. Not sure about the chassis and floor plan ,I stretched them about a quarter  inch and not sure if he will be able to cast them .

7 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

I copied the door lines from the the body I stole the roof from. I'm pretty sure on a factory B body the rear windows didn't roll all the way down. I know on my old 85 Fury 4- door had like a fake rear vent window and they rolled all the way down,.

Definitely not on the 1971-1978 models . I have a '72 Coronet (imagine that !) sedan --- its rear door glass windows do roll-down , but come-up-just-short of completely opening .

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, 1972coronet said:

Looking great ! Lots of work involved here , and you're doing a fantastic job . 

Question : Why would you go through the trouble of making that absolute garbage 7 1/4 rear ???? The only place that that rear belongs -- in 'actual' life or in scale -- is in the scrap heap .

Well it would probably need to be 8- 1/4  rearend, wasn't thinking.  Since I'll have a bench seat and flat hood , I could put a slant six in one . But it might look a little silly with a Dana in it.

The 8 3/4 rear (drop-out centre) would be the safest bet . The 8 1/4 and 7 1/4 [junk] rears were unusual , even in their time , with that junk 7 1/4 being behind Slant Six models (though I seem to remember original 6-powered models having the 8 1/4 [decent] in them , with a few 8 3/4's around ) .

You're right on about the Dana 60 --- that would look out-of-place in a 4 door hardtop phantom Barracuda .

38 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The 8 3/4 rear (drop-out centre) would be the safest bet . The 8 1/4 and 7 1/4 [junk] rears were unusual , even in their time , with that junk 7 1/4 being behind Slant Six models (though I seem to remember original 6-powered models having the 8 1/4 [decent] in them , with a few 8 3/4's around ) .

You're right on about the Dana 60 --- that would look out-of-place in a 4 door hardtop phantom Barracuda .

I'm going to put the six in a stock body, the four-door is going to have a Hemi?

You never know what rearend you will find under a Mopar . I was looking for an A-body 8-3/4 to put under my Volare, found one under a 74  4-door Dart with a slant six.