Model Cars Magazine Forum

Four-door 'Cuda

Pat Minarick

18 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

Love it! 

This car was on the cover of Hot Rod not too long ago, with a 409 bubbletop camaro and a GTO wagon. For some reason they had full features on the other two, but not the four-door 'Cuda,. 

The 4door cuda full featur was in the next issue of hot rod magazine.

Edited by 426 pack

1 hour ago, 426 pack said:

The 4door cuda full featur was in the next issue of hot rod magazine.

I did pick up that issue, but I'd have rather seen the spread on the 'Cuda first. The GTO wagon was cool but the Camaro did nothing for me. Still baffles me why the "Cuda was on the cover with the other two. :)

Good choice regarding the roof section, and I like how you blended both at the C-pillars. A proper 4-door needs a more formal roof line for rear headroom. :D

You've probably seen this already but in case not:

FourDoorCuda.jpg.b2b5ab7dfb3af9cdbabbfbf04265bdb4.jpg

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

Good choice regarding the roof section, and I like how you blended both at the C-pillars. A proper 4-door needs a more formal roof line for rear headroom. :D

You've probably seen this already but in case not:

FourDoorCuda.jpg.b2b5ab7dfb3af9cdbabbfbf04265bdb4.jpg

Thanks Casey, I used that picture and pictures of the built one to go buy. I'm trying to get something more like I think one would have looked.

53 minutes ago, Chuck Most said:

I did pick up that issue, but I'd have rather seen the spread on the 'Cuda first. The GTO wagon was cool but the Camaro did nothing for me. Still baffles me why the "Cuda was on the cover with the other two. :)

I have both issues,  I got the first one and didnt look at it when I bought it. Was a little disappointed when it wasn't in there. 

3 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

Thanks Casey, I used that picture and pictures of the built one to go buy. I'm trying to get something more like I think one would have looked.

That hardtop body style looks very nice , but is "unrealistic" from an engineering standpoint : how do the rear windows roll-down into those rear doors ?  The "G"-Series ( "G"=1971 ) roof looks right , sedan and all . 

Your version looks a lot better than the "1:1" version ; the C-pillars and roof / backlight transition are cleaner on your version .

55 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

That hardtop body style looks very nice , but is "unrealistic" from an engineering standpoint : how do the rear windows roll-down into those rear doors ?  The "G"-Series ( "G"=1971 ) roof looks right , sedan and all . 

Your version looks a lot better than the "1:1" version ; the C-pillars and roof / backlight transition are cleaner on your version .

Thank you,  The 1:1 version is cool and I know it had to be a lot of work , so I don't want put down.  It just doesn't look like the way a factory one would have looked to me. 

There are factory 4-door hard tops . I can't remember seeing any Mopars , maybe an Imperial or something.  But not sure about any unibody cars  being hard tops. I thought it was funny on the 1:1 car that they painted the door frames black too, a factory car would be body color or have chrome trim. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Hey, you just found a way to use those old Revell AAR Cudas with the stretched wheelbase proportions - convert them into four door sedans, problem solved!

Haha,  don't even think they would be useful for that! 

Wish I did have the hood out of one.

• 6 months later...

Wow I'm always impressed when someone can improve on a standard factory design, it's a lot harder than you think to get it just right ! 

Very clever how you fitted the new roof, do you melt those little ridges in for strength, or for adding filler ?

Well impressed I'll be watching  !

Edited by Lowlife ! !