Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Shelby GT500 and Shelby GT350H kits

gasman

Ok, got 2 GTH kits in today from a tower;) Decal stripes are way better than the GT500; they have a nice metallic gold to them. Only negatives are, there was no decal for the center dashboard for the limited number and Shelby's signature. And the shifter is still for the manual. I think revell did right, Hertz shouldn't have made them A/Ts.

Same engine, drivetrain, interior as 1st mustang.

Edited by blubaja

I'd be surprised if you could find any rental car in the US with a manual...Americans by and large don't/can't drive sticks.

very true. I've just started my search for a new car, and one of my must is a manual transmission. I've never owned an auto in my short life (I've had 3 cars...all sticks). and I don't plan on switching to auto's until I physically can't drive them anymore. I looked at a G5 a few weeks ago and they only had 2 manual cars on the lot. neither I liked (one white one silver, too plain looking for me), the GT's they had on the lot where auto's. I wouldn't even consider an auto right now.

That's disappointing. They should be a scale inch larger; I assume the tires are the same too? I gather that the GT-H wheels are also undersized. Undersized wheels are a consistent scourge on our hobby :(

The GT500 KR wheels look to be more accurate size-wise if their photo is any indication.

well, of course the engine whould be different, the stock is a 4.6 and the GT500 is a 5.4 and supercharged, basically a GT motor.

it seems like they all come with those BFG G Forces, I don't think the stock Mustangs come with those and all the tuners tires are rubberbands and seems to be either Proxes or Yokohams :wub:

very true. I've just started my search for a new car, and one of my must is a manual transmission. I've never owned an auto in my short life (I've had 3 cars...all sticks). and I don't plan on switching to auto's until I physically can't drive them anymore. I looked at a G5 a few weeks ago and they only had 2 manual cars on the lot. neither I liked (one white one silver, too plain looking for me), the GT's they had on the lot where auto's. I wouldn't even consider an auto right now.

I like a stick too, but its getting harder to find cars with a manual transmission. A nice compromise I found was the autostick in Subarus. No clutch but you can tell it when to shift or set it in auto mode and let it do all the work. Not sure how wide this option is besides exotic cars and Subarus. Of course it still has the down side that you can't roll start it if you have a dead battery.

I like a stick too, but its getting harder to find cars with a manual transmission. A nice compromise I found was the autostick in Subarus. No clutch but you can tell it when to shift or set it in auto mode and let it do all the work. Not sure how wide this option is besides exotic cars and Subarus. Of course it still has the down side that you can't roll start it if you have a dead battery.

I drove a Dodge Avenger (The original two door kind) with an auto stick and found it rather boring. The car still pretty much shifts for you

There are still a few cars out there that are manual only. My dad just bought an 08 Honda CIvic SI. and the only transmission is the 6sp manual, no auto even available. The Mustang GT500 is also available only with a 6speed manual.

If I were to buy a car like a Mustang (GT or other) a stick would be a MUST!

Even for small cars a stick to me is much more desirable than an auto-------stop and go traffic notwithstanding.

When I bought my Saturn a couple years ago, I insisted on a stick otherwise there'd be no sale! Autos to me are just sooooooo boring. Likewise when it comes time for repairs, automatics can leave your wallet a hurtin'! ;)

If I were to buy a car like a Mustang (GT or other) a stick would be a MUST!

Even for small cars a stick to me is much more desirable than an auto-------stop and go traffic notwithstanding.

When I bought my Saturn a couple years ago, I insisted on a stick otherwise there'd be no sale! Autos to me are just sooooooo boring. Likewise when it comes time for repairs, automatics can leave your wallet a hurtin'! :lol:

I am w/ you Bill, I hate automatic transmissions. It's just funny at least to me, seeing these guys buying Corvettes and high performance vehicles w/ an automatic transmission! What's the fun in that??? :lol:

I got the GT-H today. (Hobby shop I rarely go to had them for only $12.99. which i'm guessing was a miss price, but I did'nt say anything :D) body is the same as the GT500, different hood, only difference is the stock engine from the GT kit. same interior with incorrect manual transmission. only underhood changes are the strut brace. the cold air intake with seperate filter cone (nice touch Revell). I agree with what Bob said about the wheels. they appear to be the correct size but the tires are too tall. and the car sits too low. a quick trip to the tire parts box should remedy that. decals are nice with very bright gold stripes. and all the correct Hertz logo's. another issue with it is a little one. box lists it as an 06, but the wheels place it as an 07. The 07 Hertz cars got the new wheels,

here's the difference,

99df_12.JPG

07, which are the wheels that are in the kit

DSCN6680.JPG

I'm not building this as a Hertz GT-H though. mine will be an 08 Shelby GT. 08 is the only year there making these. there pretty much the same car as the GT-H, only these came with a manual transmission, and a different hood. here's the Shelby GT

def9_4.JPG

Edited by gasman

Cool idea! How do you plan to handle the difference in hoods? The GT wheels look different to my eye, too.

It would be great if Keith Marks did the correct stripes for the Shelby GT!

Something else that bears mentioning about the GT-H decal sheet ... the black ares between the twin stripes are on the sheet. That helps with spacing, but, if you were planning to do a "what-if" version in a color other than black. it means you have some trimming to do!

I've thought about a similar conversion to do a white w/silver stripes Shelby GT. Just need a stock '06 hood, and to scratchbuild the fairly simple scoop.

I'm likely to do mine as a custom, just build the GT-H as-is with the GT-H hood, paint it white, and paint the silver stripes. This spring I saw a white Shelby GT with a stock GT grille and the Parnelli Jones wheels...looked fantastic. It had the dash plaque so it was just a case of the owner personalizing it a bit with non-permanent parts swapping.

I have some 5 spoke wheels from a diecast Mercedes that may work okay:

IMG_5005-vi.jpg

Edited by Zoom Zoom

I got the GT-H today. (Hobby shop I rarely go to had them for only $12.99. which i'm guessing was a miss price, but I did'nt say anything :blink:) body is the same as the GT500, different hood, only difference is the stock engine from the GT kit. same interior with incorrect manual transmission. only underhood changes are the strut brace. the cold air intake with seperate filter cone (nice touch Revell). I agree with what Bob said about the wheels. they appear to be the correct size but the tires are too tall. and the car sits too low. a quick trip to the tire parts box should remedy that. decals are nice with very bright gold stripes. and all the correct Hertz logo's. another issue with it is a little one. box lists it as an 06, but the wheels place it as an 07. The 07 Hertz cars got the new wheels,

Hmm..those '06 and '07 GT-H wheels look the same to me, except the '07s have the spokes painted black. IIRC, the '06 GT-Hs were coupes, the '07 were convertibles only, and the '08 Shelby GT is a consumer (not Hertz) model...coupe and convertible.

The Shelby GT hood looks like a stock GT hood but with a scoop attached (looks like the same scoop that's an option on the regular GT). I have a resin hood that I got somewhere that is a stock Mustang GT hood with a scoop, similar to the Shelby GT hood, I think.

I'm planning on getting a couple extra Shelby GT500 and Shelby GT kits, I want to do convertibles also.

With the heavily restyled '10 Mustang coming in about 6-8 months, I hope Revell tools up the '10 and has it out by next summer....and the production '10 Camaro. :blink:

Edited by Rob Hall

Hi to all, probably the wrong section to introduce myself (Roberto, 41, from Monza, cars lover), but I got yesterday my 2007 Shelby GT500 and I’d like to share with you some quick shots.

Nothing else to add to the previous comments, wheels look terrible and I try placing some 23†Pegasus rims with center portion from a 2005 GT diecast.

Bye: Robi

Full set at http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a163/RJ1...arious/?start=0

GT0710.jpg

GT0723.jpg

GT0724.jpg

GT0725.jpg

GT0728.jpg

GT0727.jpg

here is the appropriately titled "Fast & Furious Fix" for the kit tires in the Mustang kits! this will work on the '06 GT and the new Shelby GT500 and Hertz cars.

these are the tires from the AMT Fast & Furious Toyota Supra kit on the Hertz 5-spokes. you have to trim off the raised center rib and the other "nubs" but i was able to do so with a sharp X-acto in short time. after that the rims slip quite nicely into the Supra's tires like they are supposed to be in them. sidewall height is pretty nice and the tire width much better. they fill the wheelwells quite nice in my opinion and with a small suspension drop should look good. the kit's out of the box sit a little high.

i tried several other of the Revell low profile tires from different kits and none really fit anywhere as nice as these, most the center hole is too big.

Dave

Are these tires only in the Supra kit, or also in other FF cars?

Thx

here's another idea for the GT-H kit. a 2009 Mustang GT-CS (California Special). it would require some scratchbuilding the engine cover since it has the GT engine appearence package (its an option....but I havent seen one without it)

06.jpg

You could also do the Mustang AV8R, but that would require a Supercharger for the engine, and the roof would need to be converted to have the glass roof option

mustangav8r_01_resize.jpg

mustangav8r_04_resize.jpg

I'm hoping Kieth Marks steps up to the plate and offers decals for the difference veriations that can be done with the Revell GT-GT500-and GT-H kits

I've thought about a similar conversion to do a white w/silver stripes Shelby GT. Just need a stock '06 hood, and to scratchbuild the fairly simple scoop.

I'm likely to do mine as a custom, just build the GT-H as-is with the GT-H hood, paint it white, and paint the silver stripes. This spring I saw a white Shelby GT with a stock GT grille and the Parnelli Jones wheels...looked fantastic. It had the dash plaque so it was just a case of the owner personalizing it a bit with non-permanent parts swapping.

I have some 5 spoke wheels from a diecast Mercedes that may work okay:

IMG_5005-vi.jpg

The Torque Thrust "T's" from Pegasus Hobbies will make the proper style wheel, & they already have the lower profile tires, or you can use their wheels with the kit tires, that is what I did with the '06, & painted the centers gunmetal to look like the optional wheels that Ford offered.

Edited by horsepower

I'll have my GT-H this weekend, will see if I still have those Supra tires in my stash. The Revell tires are horrific.

The GT500KR is due in late September according to Tower Hobbies, Bullitt '68 and '08 in late November.

Just enough time to crank a couple more Mustangs out before the '09 Challenger kits arrive ;)

Hopefully we'll have time to crank out a Challenger or two before Revell (hopefully) gets us a new Corvette ZR1.

I'll have my GT-H this weekend, will see if I still have those Supra tires in my stash. The Revell tires are horrific.

The GT500KR is due in late September according to Tower Hobbies, Bullitt '68 and '08 in late November.

Just enough time to crank a couple more Mustangs out before the '09 Challenger kits arrive ;)

Hopefully we'll have time to crank out a Challenger or two before Revell (hopefully) gets us a new Corvette ZR1.

I have 3 05-09 Mustangs planned as of right now. 1 regular 09 GT (it just found it way to my bench, i'm updating the 06 kit to 09 standards). 1 Shelby GT500 (still gathering info on this car. should be on my bench once my current Fujimi VW GTI is done). and either a Shelby GT or a GT-SC. depending upon if I can get the decals (I may just make them myself). once the bullitt and KR cars are out I will build them too.

I would suspect that Revell will announce the ZR1 at the Ihobby show in October? I would be shocked if Revell did'nt produce a kit of it. I'm also hoping that they announce that they are doing the 2010 Camaro kit, and 2010 Mustang kit, and a 2009 Subaru WRX STi kit for the heck of it. ( a man can dream can't he)

I would suspect that Revell will announce the ZR1 at the Ihobby show in October? I would be shocked if Revell did'nt produce a kit of it. I'm also hoping that they announce that they are doing the 2010 Camaro kit, and 2010 Mustang kit, and a 2009 Subaru WRX STi kit for the heck of it. ( a man can dream can't he)

I'm not sure if Revell will have any more announcements this year or not; they seem to have quit making announcements just for a show season, and more on their own schedule.

Not sure a production Camaro SS would be a good idea or not; they look so similar to the concept I'm not sure if the market is already saturated by "new" Camaros already, even if they're the concept. I do hope they kit the '10 Mustang, and can't imagine why the new STI and Civic Type R and EVO X haven't been announced by Fujimi. What would really be cool would be Fujimi using the GTI as a basis for the new Scirocco. I can understand why the GTR was done; the kits all on the market when the car debuted (at least in the US). Wish Revell could do that again...the Challenger kit will be trailing the production car by about 6 mos; and if they had a ZR1 kit ready when the 1:1 was available that would be amazing. Monogram had their first '84 Corvette kit on the shelves the exact same day it was released to the public. Somehow I doubt they'll ever get that kind of timing back :rolleyes:

I have 3 05-09 Mustangs planned as of right now.

I'll have 12 '05-08 Mustangs in my to-build closet eventually... stock and convertible conversions of the GT, GT-H, and GT500; the upcoming Bullitt and KR kits, 1 stock GT coupe with Euro number plates (the Revell of Germany version), and 3 tuner style coupes with resin hoods, side scoops, etc. and aftermarket wheels.

I assume after the 1st of the year or so they will announce a Corvette Z-R1 kit and maybe a '10 Camaro. I'd really like to see a G8 GXP and Caddy CTS-v, but am not holding my breath.

• 5 weeks later...

another tire choice found today. After removing the tabs on the wheels, tires from the Tamiya 99-03 Toyota Celica kit work too, plus they give you some nice sidewall detail. they need to be stretched a bit but they are the best looking tires I have found

Edited by gasman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...