Model Cars Magazine Forum

Side by side by side Dragster builds...Kemp-Teresi-Sobak

Hello.......I am pretty much finished with this build .......I added a Competition Resins figure , I modified it  and painted it with a Red,White and Blue Flag scheme .....I painted the cowl and added the decals .......I also scratch built a Garlits trademark Flag Scheme Tach......I used "Pro Tech" 5 point harness......I also built the display stand that  comes with the kit , but I up-graded my own scratch built Back drop.....I made replica of one of Don Garlits first shops he had from early the 60`s .......GWS Decals made the custom decals for the back drop replica........I made it for a back drop so I could take pictures of my older Garlits builds ......here are a few pics of some of my older Garlit`s builds with the new Back drop.......I will post finished pics of this build when Clay and Chris finish there builds........thanks for looking.

DSCF1097_zpshstsklne.jpg

DSCF1096_zpsvxftfxop.jpg

DSCF1090%202_zpsydylyx1c.jpg

DSCF1089_zps1tkf1jn7.jpg

DSCF1281_zps03vdzkyd.jpg

Great work John.  Your work on the shorty Garlits dragster is superb.  Great detail.  The tach and driver figure add to the overall look of this version of the car. 

I also like the older Garlits' builds with the back drops.  I used one of your Dart 2 builds as inspiration to finish one for a friend who bought the resin body and didn't have the dragster parts to build it.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well Fellas.... I decided it was time to knock some dusts off this build and do some work on it. I would like to finish this little dragster up so I can get the motivation to get back to my FED and a few other projects. Here is some work that I have been able to accomplish on it over the past few week.

I had decided to scale down one of the blowers and injector hats to see how it would print in 1/25th scale since I wasn't very fond of the kit one:

2v2EYBwUdxAhe9C.jpg

Here is what the quality of it looked like after I got some primer on it. It has a little sanding that needs to be done and will look like new:

2v2EYBwanxAhe9C.jpg

I didn't care for the kits steering shaft and chassis mount so I figured I would make something of some brass to Jazz it up:

2v2EYBww8xAhe9C.jpg

2v2EYBwt5xAhe9C.jpg

Next I got the Valve Covers Glued on:

2v2EYBws8xAhe9C.jpg

Then I moved onto the seat to remove the molding in seat belts. I still have to fix and sand the rest of the scratches out of it:

2v2EYBwidxAhe9C.jpg

It was then time to glue in the distributor and start wiring the engine up. I used a combination of Pro-Tech and MAD aftermarket distributors which I got from Art Laski over at scaleproshop.com:

2v2EYBwSjxAhe9C.jpg

2v2EYBwMjxAhe9C.jpg

2v2EYBfv2xAhe9C.jpg

2v2EYBfJjxAhe9C.jpg