Model Cars Magazine Forum

'94 Chevrolet Impala SS Grand Sport

echoxrayniner

Thought I'd do a fantasy-ish build for a change, always was absolutely in love with the '96 Corvette Grand Sport and the stripe/color combo. So as I was designing a decal sheet to give it a proper go for a change(instead of half-assing it), I recalled I had a 1994 Impala SS kit with the lowrider bits, given it doesn't come with the stock wheels and the other one I built ages ago I had already stolen the wheels from to put on a '91 Syclone, I thought lets do something fun with it. So I drafted up a decal sheet for it, ordered a can of Admiral Blue from a dealership and tore a LT-4 engine from a '95 Corvette kit and put that in there instead of the SnapTite-esque block that comes with the kit. The hood doesn't wanna stay shut and is slightly bend and the stance is way higher than I'd liked it to be but other than that, always a fun little easy kit these '94 Impalas.

1996impalassgs-2.jpg
1996impalassgs-13.jpg
1996impalassgs-7.jpg
1996impalassgs-12.jpg
1996impalassgs-14.jpg

On 5/16/2018 at 11:01 AM, TooOld said:

That's really sharp ,  I like it !  It could sit a little lower but it looks so good that it doesn't matter .  And great decals too !:D

Aw thanks man! I do quite regret not chopping the height down but it looked like such a hassle with the giant one-piece axle stuff so I just left it be.

On 5/17/2018 at 11:40 AM, ismaelg said:

Great looking!  Love the scheme! One of my favorites.   Years ago we did a Grand Sport tribute here.

Man that would've been something I'd have killed to see, I just cant help loving the Grand Sport theme, especially on the Corvettes(but that's obvious).

10 minutes ago, echoxrayniner said:

Man that would've been something I'd have killed to see, I just cant help loving the Grand Sport theme, especially on the Corvettes(but that's obvious).

Hello,

Here is a link to one of them.  Can't believe it was 12 years ago already!

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/2045-presenting-our-grand-sport-tribute-lotsa-pics/

and I recently did this:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/94594-jet-threat-ii-grand-sport-1st-workbench-activity-in-6-years/

By the way, stay tuned as there is yet another Grand Sport related project on my workbench now: the GS90.   I also did the master for a correct '96 Corvette Grand Sport coupe but the resin caster could not make it work because of the complexity of the body/glass/roof combination.   

Thanks,