Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Have for Dinner?

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

You would be asked to leave the premises if you said that in any real Noo Yawk pizza place. :D 

Image result for slice of pizza from nyc with pepperoni and anchovies

That's what I call a real slice. And, don't be stingy with them anchovies. While yer at it, pass me the garlic powder and crushed red pepper. Buon appetito!

Give me more anchovies!!!

I love 'em!

I'll make a 10 inch pizza at home and put a whole can of anchovies on it! :P

My pantry always contains at least one can of anchovies.

Usually for making homemade Caesar salad dressing or Puttanesca sauce.

Steve

If it's ok with Steve, I'd like post photos of home made food, whether a whole meal or not. Steve- let me know if pics like these are cool in this thread.

Wasabi and Soy Sauce Almonds.

20180618_193220-vi.jpg

Inspired by a pack I bought at a convenience store...and the price of $1.79 for a 1.5oz bag, I looked for a recipe.  It called for a tablespoon of water, but no soy sauce, so I made a substitution. They're good, but I will add more Wasabi powder next time. A much healthier snack than a candy bar or fried fruit pie. I'll add a small bag to my lunch.

18 minutes ago, LDO said:

A much healthier snack than a candy bar or fried fruit pie.

Nothing better than a Funny Bone. Nothing more satisfying than eating a Funny Bone and washing it down with an Ice cold Yoohoo in front of somebody pretending to enjoy his healthy, wholesome locally sourced kale and bean sprout salad.

Image result for funny bones cakeImage result for yoohoo drink

12 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Nothing better than a Funny Bone. Nothing more satisfying than eating a Funny Bone and washing it down with an Ice cold Yoohoo in front of somebody pretending to enjoy his healthy, wholesome locally sourced kale and bean sprout salad.

I would love to pull into a gas station and get a Snickers bar and a coke, but I'm overweight. I have type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. It would do me a lot of good to lose weight. I take my lunch to work. I'm eating better and saving money. A lot of money. Fast food breakfast and lunch plus a snack later in the day adds up. Calories and dollars.

1 hour ago, LDO said:

If it's ok with Steve, I'd like post photos of home made food, whether a whole meal or not. Steve- let me know if pics like these are cool in this thread.

Absolutely Lee!

If we can tolerate "YooHoos"  & "Funny Bones", we can take anything! ;)

By the way, never heard of a Funny Bone!

It might be kind of fun to post some strange regional stuff on this thread occasionally.

Knock yourselves out guys!

Steve

Another snack. Not really sure what it call it. The idea started with a discussion on another forum about frozen tater tots. Someone suggested "Tot nachos", which led to this:

20180630_112931-vi.jpg

Baked hash browns (30 min at 400 degrees on a greased cookie sheet. I greased with bacon grease.) Flip them halfway through.

Shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions, crumbled bacon, and pickled jalapeños from the garden. It was darn good. 

You can see that some got kinda charred. I suspect that can be avoided by simply making a thicker layer of hash browns. I didn't know they would shrink so much. They lose A LOT of volume. I think I'll make more later today and try to improve it.

3 hours ago, LDO said:

Another snack. Not really sure what it call it. The idea started with a discussion on another forum about frozen tater tots. Someone suggested "Tot nachos", which led to this.

Looks pretty good to me!

Kind of a kicked up version of "Potatoes O'Brian". :)

Steve

On 6/18/2018 at 9:04 PM, SfanGoch said:

Wow...... I haven't had a YooHoo in years...  I used to love them.

On 6/18/2018 at 9:10 PM, Tom Geiger said:

porkroll  

Okay guys... New Jersey Pork Roll and American cheese on a hard roll.  Pure heaven if done right!

Tom, one of my favorite sandwiches is Taylor Pork Roll (not fried but sliced really thin) and Muenster cheese on a soft Kaiser roll with mayo...

I hope food and drink are both welcome here.  I started 2 different infused vodkas tonight. One is garlic, the other is garlic and jalapeño. The idea came from a discussion on another forum about the liqueurs I'm making. A guy said the best infused vodka he ever had was with garlic, and suggested it would be great in a Bloody Mary. 

20180702_223036-vi.jpg

I had a heck of a time finding a "how-to" that actually gave quantities. Many simply say put garlic in Vodka. These have 9 cloves in 750ml. There is one jalapeño in the second jar. You can see that one jar needs more Vodka. I'll add more tomorrow.

I've never had a Bloody Mary. I'm looking forward to trying it. I'll be using tomato juice from our garden. I've also read that this makes a pretty good shot.

Edited by LDO
Grammar

No pictures, but tonight we had one of my favorite summer meals. It was BLT sandwiches using locally grown lettuce and tomato, and then a couple of ears of Peaches & Cream sweet corn - also locally grown. In the past this would all have been my own, home grown produce, but with the move into town a couple years ago I have to settle for produce grown by other local gardeners. I think I've decided I kind of like not having to plant, weed, till, spray, dust, and pick.