Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Have for Dinner?

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

They go great with an ice cold Miller High-Life or Rheingold Extra Dry (Yup, its available again. I get it at a distributor in Borough Park :D ).

I can't even get a Miller High Life anymore in a restaurant.

These days it's all of these dopey "micro brews".

I guess beer drinkers today want to equate themselves with the wine crowd & drink their beer with one pinky in the air! :rolleyes:

Steve

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I can't even get a Miller High Life anymore in a restaurant.

This is my take, Steve. You need to lower your standards and go to dive bars. I do and love'em. Heck, I can get Miller, Schaefer, Rheingold, Ballantine XXX and, an old Brooklyn  staple which is being brewed again by the original family, Piels Real Draft. I like the occasional Champale. All theses beverages bring back slightly blurred memories of my reckless,  carefree teenage years when my friends and I would hang out in the local gin mills with our fake I.D. cards and drink ourselves into a stupor while shooting pool or playing shuffleboard.:D I stay away from trendy brewhouses because they're ripoff joints selling some obscure, artisanally handcrafted pisswater  for 12 bucks a bottle and 15 buck shots; secondly, the clientele frequenting these joints are pretentious buttwipes.

Edited by SfanGoch

I like Belgian beers and craft brewed beers from a variety of microbreweries...when I was living in Colorado with it's vibrant beer scene I really came to appreciate hefeweizens, pale ales, and various lagers.... Phoenix had a pretty good scene, as does Cleveland. I can't drink mass market swill like Budweiser anymore.. but I do like a variety of Mexican beers w/ Mexican food,  Indian beers w/ Indian food, Japanese beers w/ Japanese food, etc.  I like to pair the beer w/ the cuisine. 

Edited by Rob Hall

18 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

when I was living in Colorado with it's vibrant beer scene I really came to appreciate hefeweizens, pale ales, and various lagers....

Nothing beats a real German lagers, hefeweizen, bock/doppelbock or a Czech Pilsner. The microbrew-produced imitations are less than second rate compared to the real thing. There are loads of microbreweries here. Their stuff is too heavy on the quirky-new-take on-classic-beers philosophy which, in my opinion, isn't an improvement. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

23 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I like Belgian beers and craft brewed beers from a variety of microbreweries...when I was living in Colorado with it's vibrant beer scene I really came to appreciate hefeweizens, pale ales, and various lagers.... Phoenix had a pretty good scene, as does Cleveland. I can't drink mass market swill like Budweiser anymore.. but I do like a variety of Mexican beers w/ Mexican food,  Indian beers w/ Indian food, Japanese beers w/ Japanese food, etc.  I like to pair the beer w/ the cuisine. 

Oh, so you're one of "those" guys! :D

I pretty much drink nothing but Mexican beers now.

I always have a 12 pack of Sol, Dos Equis or Pacifico in my fridge at home, and you can usually find at least one of them in most bars & restaurants.

Steve

3 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Nothing beats a real German lagers, hefeweizen, bock/doppelbock or a Czech Pilsner. The microbrew-produced imitations are less than second rate compared to the real thing. There are loads of microbreweries here. Their stuff is too heavy on the quirky-new-take on-classic-beers philosophy which, in my opinion, isn't an improvement. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

I like a crisp, refreshing beer with little or no after taste.

Nothing is more refreshing.

Most of the micro brews are bitter or have some sort of acrid after taste that I wind up toting around with me all night.

Not for me.

Keep it simple and light.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

You're my kind of beer drinker, Steve. Eh.....Seems I left my wallet at Dingy Dan's in Rockaway Beach.....First round's on you. 

If you haven't already try Presidente, a pilsner from the Dominican Republic. Crisp, dry and tastes like a good German or Czech pils. These Polish beers are excellent, too.

Image result for presidente beerImage result for polish beer

5 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

They go great with an ice cold Miller High-Life or Rheingold Extra Dry (Yup, its available again. I get it at a distributor in Borough Park :D ).

Man, back in the late '70s, I used to keep a mess of those little Millers iced down at the shop for the end-of-day. Something about those little bottles...Haven't seen a Rheingold for years, but I know I liked it. That goes for Schaefer, Ballantine and Piels too.

I got my appreciation for different beers from being in different parts of the world. Anything from Pilsners and lagers to dark, oily Porter. In general, I can enjoy just about any beer depending on where I am and what I'm eating...though I never much liked Bud or Pabst, and how they could get money for most "lite" beers has always been beyond my comprehension. Save your pee, water it down, chill it. Same thing. Some of the "craft" beers really seem to me to be trying too hard, and I always get a chuckle reading the flowery wine-speak reviews from online "connoisseurs". But some of 'em are great.

My go-to supermarket American beer, when I can get it, is Shiner Bock, and there's usually Red Stripe and Modelo Negra sharing shelf space in the fridge.

Red Stripe is great to wash down a beef or goat roti. :D

Yeah, "connoisseurs" like to make up all kinds of bloviated descriptions. Just saying, "It tastes great" isn't enough to hook some equally pretentious schmuck looking for swill.

Ever have a Black & Tan? Half a mug of Miller and the other half Guinness Stout.

I was a longtime regular at the various Blarney Stones and Clancy's on Second & Third Aves. They didn't serve English beer. The best Blarney Stone location was across the street from 747 Third Ave. That's where Playboy had its NY offices from the late '60s to late '80s. All kinds of hot babes from there would hang out at the Stone. :D 

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

and there's usually Red Stripe and Modelo Negra sharing shelf space in the fridge.

I believe that I have at least a couple of bottles of Negra Modelo in my fridge right now. ;)

I was recently in a local burger/ craft beer joint that the wife & I have been enjoying lately.

The last few times I was there I had ordered a bottle of Red Stripe.

They carry few bottled beers, & of the ones that they do have, Red Stripe was the only one that I liked.

The bartender told me that I had better enjoy it because they were about to eliminate it from their menu. :rolleyes:

I guess they needed to make room for another "Boar's Ass IPA" or something!

Steve

Rich, I started drinking Yuengings when I moved to Pennsylvania too!   Nothing like a local brew and an American owned one to boot!

A Red Stripe Beer story...    My wife and I went to Jamaica for our honeymoon.  We stayed at an all inclusive place called "Couples".  The bus ride from the airport to the hotel was on narrow curving roads that went through small towns.  Suddenly traffic stopped and we spot villagers walking on both sides of the road carrying cases of Red Stripe Beer. I had never heard of it at the time, but there were men carrying two cases, one on each shoulder.  Women carrying bottles in their aprons, kids carrying a few bottles each.   Puzzling.

We inch up the road to the scene of an accident.  The tractor trailer that had a flat bed full of pallets of Red Stripe Beer missed one of the tight curves and was laying on it's side.  And the trailer was getting lighter by the minute!

We got to the resort and guess what the house beer was for the week?    I thought it kinda tasted like Schaeffer.