Model Cars Magazine Forum

Police cars.

NYLIBUD

• The local Law Enforcement agencies are taking a much lower profile on their appearance in the last couple of years.   Most of the local cities are using markings that are just a shade or two from the body color with no exterior lights visible and only black painted Spot Lights. The KSHP's new Chargers seem to all be white with a small shield on the door and the only noticeable exterior feature is the front "Cow Catchers" for the Pit Maneuver. It used to be they wanted their presents known and now the are laying in wait.     

1 hour ago, espo said:

The KSHP's new Chargers seem to all be white with a small shield on the door

White cars with slap-on vinyl graphics has been the norm for a number of years. It saves the maintenance shops time and money by not having to paint the cars in multiple colors. From the 1930s until 1972, NYPD RMP's were painted in three colors. This is the classic  Dark Green/Black/White scheme:

Related image

Related image

From 1972 until 1996, RMP's were painted in a blue/white scheme

Image result for nypd police car colors

Related image

And, from 1997 to the present, the fugly white with decal look

Related image

See the source image

This is a black Ford "Enforcer" SUV with white vinyl wraps for the doors hood and tailgate. All the reflective graphics are already printed on the white vinyl. Come trade in time off comes the vinyl wray and you have an all black Explorer again. 

G

Edited by Agent G

Here's a few of my home county cars.Too bad,I'm seeing less and less Crown Vic's on the road,,and more and more really ugly Ford Taurus's...I don't know why the Suffolk dept didn't go with the new Chargers.I even asked a cop which car he liked better,the Vic,or the Taurus.He said that he,along with a lot of other officers,hate the new Taurus,and wished they still made the Crown Vic's.The Mustang and Camaro were used for highway patrol back in the day.They were very fast cars.I remember getting pulled over by the Camaro,but I just got a warning for speeding..However,I never saw the Humvee on the road before.

IMG_3275.JPG

IMG_3276.JPG

IMG_3277.JPG

IMG_3278.JPG

IMG_3280.JPG

Edited by NYLIBUD

6 minutes ago, Agent G said:

See the source image

This is a black Ford "Enforcer" SUV with white vinyl wraps for the doors hood and tailgate. All the reflective graphics are already printed on the white vinyl. Come trade in time off comes the vinyl wray and you have an all black Explorer again. 

G

That's so simple if you think about it.Putting a wrap on the car,and then taking them off when the car is done with its service.Instead of stick on decals,which ruin the cars when they are retired,and go to auction.

The local Edmonton Police Service uses mainly the Ford Police Interceptor SUV and the Chevrolet Tahoe these days. There are a few Ford Police Interceptor Sedans, but not too many. The Chargers in EPS livery above were an experiment that did not pan out.

The Edmonton police and local RCMP also run new Ford F150 Supercabs. THese are all grey and unmarked, except for some strobe lights if you look carefully.

Local RCMP use the Ford Police SUV and sedan, plus a few Chevrolet Silverado 1500s and Ford F150.

The Alberta Sheriffs run Ford Police SUV & sedan, plus a few Dodge Chargers. Their SUVs are both fully decalled and "ghost." The ghost ones are interesting. I've seen both black and white. The white ones run reflective white decalling. The black ones run reflective black decals. Can't see anything until the light hits them just right!

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:25 AM, NYLIBUD said:

Not sure if this counts,but it's Ponch's Firebird from everybody's favorite cop show,CHiPs...Lol...I always liked his car.IMG_3273.JPG.352452a17effebf80699565be8290ef8.JPG

IMG_3274.JPG

I wasn't watching the show when they started having the Firebird. What they should have done was to include the Chevrolet Z-28 hood or the Corvette L-88 hood and then they would have had the Hood Scoop Trifecta. Hood Scoops are ok if you have one or the other but not together.

16 minutes ago, espo said:

I wasn't watching the show when they started having the Firebird. What they should have done was to include the Chevrolet Z-28 hood or the Corvette L-88 hood and then they would have had the Hood Scoop Trifecta. Hood Scoops are ok if you have one or the other but not together.

Wow I didn't even notice the hood.Hmmmmm.

I have to agree with you on the Pontiac Formula hood. I never understood what they were thinking with the T/A hood since it was sealed, and even if you opened the scoop it wasto far away from the windshield to get any effect like the Z-28 Camaros. The Formulas had the intake at the leading edge of the hood and would catch the air as it would start over the body.

On 6/14/2018 at 3:04 PM, iamsuperdan said:

Their SUVs are  "ghost." The ghost ones are interesting. I've seen both black and white. The white ones run reflective white decalling. The black ones run reflective black decals. Can't see anything until the light hits them just right!

My town also has these (in black on black).  It is a very interesting concept.