Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pile of Pontiacs

Ben269

On 23.6.2018 at 7:50 AM, Ben269 said:

I have had the 70 GTO for a few years, bought it built up for $5.

Lucky you, I am still looking for one...

4 hours ago, Tom99 said:

You need this one to add to your Pontiac pile;

1972 Pontiac GTO.JPG

May I ask, is this the '72 GTO kit, so the same like the current MPC one with the orange car on the box? And if so, what is the difference between the '72 and '70 - or is it just the hood? The headlights seem to be different, too... 

Edited by Tommy124

16 hours ago, Ben269 said:

I haven't posted anything on this car in a while.  The hood gave me a lot of trouble.   I couldn't quite get the seam to disappear.   Oh well,  driving on.

IMG_0610.jpeg

IMG_0608.jpeg

IMG_1935.JPG

Great paint job- great choice of color too.

On 7/16/2018 at 8:29 PM, Ben269 said:

Snake, I used your idea with newspaper and super glue.   Seems to be pretty stiff.    I mocked everything up to see how its fitting together.  IMG_0479.thumb.jpg.61dc48e17e177b7a1e2215c80029b3ea.jpgIMG_0486.thumb.jpg.a92a70f741bab2b3275d7e047e8fe111.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

Nice job so far. Don't forget to modify the side panels in the rear seat area with the vertical pieces that cover where the convertible top folds down- you may still be able to do that without messing up your work so far.

sc0513-153153_5@2x.jpg?1368396442000

Greg, I plan on making sides for that.  should be pretty simple, just haven't done it yet.

Dominick, I have been following that build, it looks great so far.  I am planning on cutting the roof off the 69 GTO i have as well, since its broke already, and I don't have glass for it.  I was thinking of using the 69 chevelle for parts, but after seeing yours, might use the 72 cutlass instead.

• 4 months later...
On 7/8/2018 at 11:06 PM, Ben269 said:

Dang, Mark, thats a die hard Pontiac family!

Ben....

Yes we loved our Pontiacs...my 75 TA was a built up beast it liked to killed me to have to sell her off to pay bills after my accident in 96 when I was driving the 83 TA.  My 75 T had been restored 100% had a Pontiac .30 over 400ci Pontiac with ram air heads and exhaust manifolds...472 lift x 512 duration cam...functional shaker scoop...373 posi...automatic...I loved that car with all my heart.  Many of our old Ponchos were factory beasts too...I always loved the classy looks and performance they had. 

This is finally coming together.   It's been difficult though.   The hood was more difficult than it should have been, had to paint it twice, decals laid nice, then half of them peeled off when I masked it to repaint a spot.   the decals are part of the stock decals, and part of the Keith Marks decals.

On 3/18/2019 at 12:17 PM, Tommy124 said:

Lucky you, I am still looking for one...

May I ask, is this the '72 GTO kit, so the same like the current MPC one with the orange car on the box? And if so, what is the difference between the '72 and '70 - or is it just the hood? The headlights seem to be different, too... 

There are 3 MPC 1972 GTO bodies. The original annual has "400" on the front fender and no cowl detail. The 1980 issue is similar to the recent Round2 issue but the rear bumper fits. 

On 6/23/2018 at 1:50 AM, Ben269 said:

I have been in a Pontiac mood lately, and picked up a few kits.  I have had the 70 GTO for a few years, bought it built up for $5.  I picked up a Hurst Olds for the chassis, tires, auto shifter, and spoiler, but the spoiler doesn't actually look like one for a Judge, so I will probably try and scratch build one that looks right.  I picked up the 68 Firebird for the engine, and have a build plan for that car as well.   

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

I owned a Firebird with the same exact engine. For a 6 that baby could move.