Model Cars Magazine Forum

Identifying parts through sprue numbers

I sorted all the chrome sprue I have. I marked the bags with the number. I try looking on line but come up with multiple images of kits. what is the correct procedure to looking up the number? Do I search for "chrome parts sprue 6714"? Or is there a better wording to do the search. Thanks.

When in your situation i'll google the kit number from the sprue along with the word Revell, AMT, IMC, etc, one manufacturer at a  time. Just the kit number and one manufacturer until i get a match. And it rarely takes more than a couple minutes.

I usually go to eBay and search using the number and sometimes AMT, MPC, Monogram, etc. Some runners are easier to identify based upon their shape/design, too. Older Revell kits have a square "chimney" style section, and many are tapered toward that end, too. Monogram's almost always have to large tabs at one end for hanging while chrome plating.

Sometimes you can I.D. the kit based on which parts remain, or just ask here. There's a huge pool of knowledge to draw from here. ;)

8 hours ago, ewetwo said:

OK. Thank you Wayne. I'll try that as I wasn't coming up with anything. Can they be used for several kits over time? Amt2432 comes up 1934 pickup, 1932 ford coupe.

Interesting, given that AMT's 34 Ford pickup kit and their Deuce kits are completely different tools--the only shared parts were the tires.

Art

Well I found out what some of them are. But I have a list that didn't come up with anything. Then I have a ton that have no numbers so they will have to be identified by sight. Are you up to it?

415501, 532, 15774, 365501, 912-5, 2773-0608. 

5 hours ago, ewetwo said:

The MPC doesn't look right. Here's what I have. 

parts912-5.jpeg

Be aware that just because "912-6" is cast into one of the runners, that doesn't mean it's from kit number 912 or 912-6. AMT kit #912 is the '70 Mercury Cougar Eliminator (recent) or the older Y912 '69 Corvette Stingray-- neither of which the parts shown came from.

There are flat 6 engine parts present, so you can narrow it down to a 9-series Porsche or Corvair engined kit, and the two missiles and a few other parts confirm it's from the AMT Piranha Super Spy Car. You can match the engine cover and other parts here:

12 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Would the Buick kit also have a hood with the words fuel Injection on it? I see 3 hoods in the photo.

I don't think so. Can you post a picture of the hood you have which has "Fuel Injection" cast(?) into it? It might be from a different kit if it doesn't match any of the three in the above image.

As for the chrome parts, those definitely look like '60s era AMT parts, in particular the leftover custom version parts the builder elected not to use.

The clear roof section is from the Monogram 1/25 '55 Chevy kit. You can see the part as CL95 on the instruction sheet here:

MonoPC8355Chevrolet22.jpg

I'll take a picture of the fuel injected hood. I think I have 2 of the one above. I wonder what the bumper goes to. How do you know all of tis. I have a hard time remembering what I went into the garage for half the time. Well actually most of the time.

I just started a Fotki account so I can take pictures of my stuff and post it without hogging up the forum space. Or is there a way here to delete these photos and post new. Most of this stuff I don't want but some I'll save for trading. 

1 hour ago, ewetwo said:

I'll take a picture of the fuel injected hood. I think I have 2 of the one above. I wonder what the bumper goes to. How do you know all of tis. I have a hard time remembering what I went into the garage for half the time. Well actually most of the time.

I just started a Fotki account so I can take pictures of my stuff and post it without hogging up the forum space. Or is there a way here to delete these photos and post new. Most of this stuff I don't want but some I'll save for trading. 

I look at Completed items on eBay, or ask here, and that usually covers most of it.

No need to delete the images you posted, as the forum has quite a bit of storage space for images from each member.

That does look like the third hood pictured, though I honestly can't make out the "Fuel Injection" lettering on the eBay listing's images.

• 5 years later...

I am trying to decipher several chrome parts runners to find out what kits they are from. A couple of the numbers are 029-4065 and 029-4450. Have several others but wanted to start with these 

23 hours ago, Davmil said:

I am trying to decipher several chrome parts runners to find out what kits they are from. A couple of the numbers are 029-4065 and 029-4450. Have several others but wanted to start with these 

You might have better luck if you can post a picture of them. There are a lot of old experienced modellers here who could likely identify them by sight.