Model Cars Magazine Forum

Twenty five bucks to cut a cake.?

NYLIBUD

57 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Yes, pretty common around here also...even at a chain restaurant like Bonefish Grill or Carrabas it's easy to do that much or more for two w/ a couple glasses of wine.  At a local seafood place for my birthday last month, it was over $200 w/ wine and dessert for 2 people.   Had delicious lobster, and great views of Lake Erie, was worth it... 

Bonefish Grill, now you're makin' me hungry as I haven't been there in awhile. When I had the restaurant cut the cake for a party I had for my wife I believe there was at least 15 people there and a couple had ordered lobster. I don't have a clue what the bill was, but so be it.

If you're ever in Maui, you've got to stop at Mama's Fish House, and don't look at the prices and enjoy the meal. You won't be sorry. I wish I could go back there. Sighhhhh.

First off if you were told there would be no charge then that should have been honored.

A thought though on the charge.  Most restaurants hope to make a certain number of seatings. If you are having a cake youbrought in then that is time that could be used serving another set of customers.

54 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

It was a Greek restaurant,not a Greek diner.Lol

Hey, the terms are interchangeable. Both joints serve burgers, gyros and other diner grub in addition to Greek specialties. Using "restaurant" instead of "diner" just means the check will be about ten bucks more in the former. Waddya mean $8.00 for a glass of chocolate milk?!? :D 

I don't know guys, but the wife and I went to Buffalo Wildwings in Moorhead Minesota last weekend, & even there it's hard to get out of there for less than $50.00.

We had an order of onion rings for $6.00.

I had one beer, (about another $5.00) & an order of boneless wings for $11.00.

My wife had an order of "naked tenders", (another $11.00) and a side salad for $5.00.

She drank water.

$38.00 without a tip.

Add another $7.00 for a tip and your at $45.00..........for chicken tenders & onion rings!!

If you go to a "good" restaurant, you can figure at least twice that for a couple.

So yeah, $200.00 is not expensive for 8 people considering that it would cost at least that much to take them to B-Dub's.

Steve

Yea I agree,$200 for 8 of us,wasn't that bad.The issue is that the moronic owner felt he had to squeeze as much cash out of us as he could.I don't know,I just never heard of charging people to cut a cake.Whatever,like I said,we ain't ever going back..:P

On 7/14/2018 at 2:29 PM, espo said:

Think of it like a "Corkage Fee" just like when you bring your own bottle of Wine into a restaurant. But I have to agree the "Cake Cutting Fee" does seem a little to much after you have 8 for dinner. Must be a high class joint.  I wouldn't have left a tip.  

This is the wrong reaction.  The tip goes to your server.  Stiffing the server who probably had nothing to do with it is punishing an employee.  Servers get stiffed all the time, especially by large parties.  I have a friend who is a server and she hates waiting on large parties for that very reason.  

Want to cause the owner a problem? Contest the charge on your credit card.  That will really mess up their day!

4 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Its funny,our waitress was great,we took good care of her with a generous tip.But even she said,charging to cut a cake,throw it on a plate with a fork,is absolutely ridiculous.

Looks like you're losing sleep over that dining experience. Hopefully your next on will be much better.

3 minutes ago, High octane said:

Looks like you're losing sleep over that dining experience. Hopefully your next on will be much better.

Oh no way man,I think all the responses are really funny.Hey I didn't pay the bill.That was my old man,and his girl friend..Lets just end this thread.I didn't think there would be so many responses.I just was wondering if that ever happened to anyone else,getting charged to cut up and serve some stupid birthday cake.

peace out.:P