Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970s Revell Top Fuel Dragster History

Junkman

I just got this one cheap because it's missing the chrome sprue.

43232246495_2f9811c322_b.jpg

I know it's only one of many such TFDs Revell issued throughout the Seventies.
I hope they share at least some components and thus I can lift the chrome tree from a more popular issue than this one is.

I wonder whether together we can trace the history and evolution of these kits. Questions like

Which ones were available?

How many different basic tools were used?

Were there commonly shared trees?

Were there unique trees for each version?

Or am I entirely wrong and each kit was tooled individually?

I'm pretty sure the most recent issue that should have chrome to work would be the Revell Jungle Jim dragster. The last McEwen Dragster (has the guy holding his ears) IS NOT the same mold family. It's origins is a double Snake/Mongoose set from the early 70's molded in 1/24.

5 minutes ago, iBorg said:

I'm pretty sure the most recent issue that should have chrome to work would be the Revell Jungle Jim dragster. The last McEwen Dragster (has the guy holding his ears) IS NOT the same mold family. It's origins is a double Snake/Mongoose set from the early 70's molded in 1/24.

Yes, this is the same tooling with new decals and a different nose. 

Related image

The Jeb Allen kit may be the cheapest as it has a bad reputation for the frame rails being twisted. I don't know if this was due to mold wear or what. I haven't heard this about the more recent issues of the same basic mold.

Thank you so much for the info hitherto.

How did they achieve the different rims and injector hats? Are both versions included in each kit, or did they use mold inserts?
I see from the box art that there were at least three distinct combinations of wheels/hats.
It looks like the Jungle Jim one has the same wheels, but a different hat than the Cha Cha one.

So far mentioned in this thread are the following versions:

H-1458 Tony Nancy
H-1460 Don Garlits
H-1461 John Keeling/Jerry Clayton
H-1462 Shirley Muldowney
H-1463 Tom McEwen
H-1464 Don Prudhomme
H-1466 Jeb Allen
85-4312 "Jungle" Jim Liberman

Were there any others?

The Keeling and Clayton car has 392 Chrysler style valve covers as the real car ran an early Hemi, but, it is the same 426 style engine block as the rest of the kits. They came with either the Hilborn butterfly hat or the Crower 8 port injector and scoop. 

Always thought they should have done the Chip Woodali driven Gene Snow Snowman. Woodali won (edit)Springnationals with car. In an interview Chip said Revell wanted Snow to have a dragster but Snow really did not want it. I got damaged in a trailer accident and was not rebuilt. Pic from Hot Rod Magazine 1972. Anyone want to do decals I will buy a set (hint)

Woodall Snowman.jpg

Edited by tbusch

2 hours ago, tbusch said:

Always thought they should have done the Chip Woodali driven Gene Snow Snowman. Woodali won Summer nationals with car. In an interview Chip said Revell wanted Snow to have a dragster but Snow really did not want it. I got damaged in a trailer accident and was not rebuilt. Pic from Hot Rod Magazine 1972. Anyone want to do decals I will buy a set (hint)

Woodall Snowman.jpg

I was surprised when Revell did the Attebury Jungle Jim car and not this one. This one was an actual Gene Snow team car, where the Attenbury car was just running the Jungle name

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:14 PM, Junkman said:

I just got this one cheap because it's missing the chrome sprue.

43232246495_2f9811c322_b.jpg

I know it's only one of many such TFDs Revell issued throughout the Seventies.
I hope they share at least some components and thus I can lift the chrome tree from a more popular issue than this one is.

I wonder whether together we can trace the history and evolution of these kits. Questions like

Which ones were available?

How many different basic tools were used?

Were there commonly shared trees?

Were there unique trees for each version?

Or am I entirely wrong and each kit was tooled individually?

any chance that you would part with the decals??

On 8/26/2018 at 10:16 PM, tbusch said:

Always thought they should have done the Chip Woodali driven Gene Snow Snowman. Woodali won Summer nationals with car. In an interview Chip said Revell wanted Snow to have a dragster but Snow really did not want it. I got damaged in a trailer accident and was not rebuilt. Pic from Hot Rod Magazine 1972. Anyone want to do decals I will buy a set (hint)

Woodall Snowman.jpg

I'd buy a set too.