Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack DM600

Made the last things on this one today.
Painted almost exactly the same as my DM800
it does not show up on any pic,s but i got the wrong can when i painted the frame so instead of normal black it is black metallic.
If that had not happend it would be exaclty the same as the DM800.

IMG_20180909_154728.thumb.jpg.029a229db348e8a4de75bd4b8c0f8878.jpg
IMG_20180909_154745.thumb.jpg.c395360647a29e18555bbd6bcef28e5a.jpg
IMG_20180909_154801.thumb.jpg.2f960618e2cb76cc1a79fddf554d3bb8.jpg
IMG_20180909_154859.thumb.jpg.9ec5201bbd0e0929d0694e8e7a00b065.jpg
IMG_20180909_154916.thumb.jpg.1728ebf6ec2b4bb62009e6cd74fe5aa9.jpg
IMG_20180909_154947.thumb.jpg.da81e4ee0f1d73e577e1199993701076.jpg
IMG_20180909_155003.thumb.jpg.9d50c1b7c351ba580c253a41c22e877c.jpg

Thanks.
Yes there is way to much chrome in this and the DM800 kit.
And personally i think that there is way to much chrome in any of the AMT,s truck kits (atleast those that i have)
Tanks, grilles, badging,horns and smokestack i can agree on to be chrome but when gearleavers, steeringlinkages, steeringwheel, brakecylinders, oilpan + other engineparts, airtanks, and fifthwheel gets chrome to then its way to much.
Well atleast they didnt chrome the seats as Heller did in their Scania 141 kit..

On 9/9/2018 at 8:20 PM, PierreR89 said:

Thanks.
Yes there is way to much chrome in this and the DM800 kit.
And personally i think that there is way to much chrome in any of the AMT,s truck kits (atleast those that i have)
Tanks, grilles, badging,horns and smokestack i can agree on to be chrome but when gearleavers, steeringlinkages, steeringwheel, brakecylinders, oilpan + other engineparts, airtanks, and fifthwheel gets chrome to then its way to much.
Well atleast they didnt chrome the seats as Heller did in their Scania 141 kit..
That's what oven cleaner is for.

Thanks.
Yes it could be for those who wanted to build a showtruck.
But for me that dont do that and wants to build them as they would have looked the day they left the factory (must learn how to weather a truck properly) its just annoying with to much chrome.
I also find that many of the chrome parts break much easier then those who are not chromed so that is also a reason why i dont like when there is to much of those parts.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pierre that is really quite a nice build. I picked that one up as one of my Christmas gifts for under the tree. Going to paint her Model Master Daytona Yellow with either a semi gloss Black, or a dark Green frame, axles, tanks, wheels, etc. The MPC Tri Axle dump trailer will be used. Just a quick question if I may. What possible issues may arise during the build? I have heard the hood sometimes is difficult to align with the cab. Thanks again for sharing the truck.

On 2018-11-27 at 7:12 PM, JerseeJerry55 said:

Pierre that is really quite a nice build. I picked that one up as one of my Christmas gifts for under the tree. Going to paint her Model Master Daytona Yellow with either a semi gloss Black, or a dark Green frame, axles, tanks, wheels, etc. The MPC Tri Axle dump trailer will be used. Just a quick question if I may. What possible issues may arise during the build? I have heard the hood sometimes is difficult to align with the cab. Thanks again for sharing the truck.

I have forgot most of the problems that i had with this kit but i will write about those i remember.
MACK lettering on the front, there is nothing to go on for distance so you have to wing it.
Mirror on the passengerside is all over the place just because i used the existing lockatingholes in the aircleaner, maybee have could got it straight if i cut of the locationpins on the arm mounts?
The hood extensions on the passengerside on both the hood and cab, i thought i got them perfect (nothing to go on for exact location) but they interfere with eachother when opening/closing the hood.
I think the front bumper came to high on the framerails so the hood hits it and will not open more then it does in one of the pic,s.
The crossbrace above the engine that goes between the cab and ratiator was 1-2mm to short on one side so it just hangs in the air, i think it can be seen in one of the pic,s to.

I aligned the cab to the hood after i had the hood mounted.
The DM800 was a pain to try to align the cab and hood but that was mostly due to that it was an original ERTL kit and not a reissue so parts had warped over the years

• 1 month later...

Nice build & paint job.  Just got my DM600 from Hobby Lobby today.  I'm going with Model Master Orange Pearl for the body & Dark Green for the interior to try and match Mack factory colors.  Also ordered an original 1966 Mack sales brochure from autolit.com.