Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting really glued in windows out

Depends on how badly the clear pieces were "melted" together to the mounting joints. If they aren't too welded in and can somewhat move or bend around, i'd try the mineral spirits method as the Ziploc freezing bag trick sometimes works and sometimes doesn't (usually good for getting parts with weak joints and chromed pieces,  or if the builder used the blue non toxic stuff).

Worst case scenario is that you'd have to get new glass, but the good news is that these kits are common and you could easily snag a started or incomplete kit  next to nothing for it.

Edited by RickRollerLT1

7 hours ago, thatz4u said:

mineral spirits & artist brush...

Yes, I've used mineral spirits in the past and that did work. Took awhile, but I was able to rescue the model without it becoming a bigger mess. As of right now, I'm restoring a '74 'Vette (no pics yet) which someone REALLY glued in the glass to the roof (the runner), and I did end up having to take a Dremel and grind out the rest.

Usually I try to stay away from rescues like that, but this was otherwise not built badly. Total glue bombs nowadays for me are out of the question.