Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Cannonball run ideas

Tim H

If I understand the rules to the P2P, these are cars made before 1976 and run completely stock, no engine swaps, no custom stuff at all, right? So, if we did the P2P this would mean that anything we build would need to be mostly stock with the only mods being "Rally" related, am I right? So no 454 LSX swapped Gullwing Mercedes or the like?

That Peking to Paris run sounds interesting! I had so much other stuff this year that I just simply didn't have the time to build my entry for this year's Cannonball. Hopefullu next year will be different.

The rules on Peking to Paris race sound interesting. It's good that it wouldn't be possible to install modern driveline in an old body. I hate to see that happen to be honest. But other than that there would be lots of room for different race cars, so it would be fun. On the other hand the Vans-theme would be pretty cool too, but I'm not completely sold on it yet. Most of the Van kits don't have engine detail or opening hood. Of course that's not a problem, but even though a builder would modify an opening hood for a Van, often the engine is so far back that it's hardly visible. And in my opinion, one of the most interesting things in the Cannonball Run is seeing different engine combinations in different bodies. Of course not all Vans have this problem, but most of them do. Vans are cool, but maybe not the most ideal for this CBP, in my opinion at least.

But whichever is chosen, I might jump in.

22 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

If I understand the rules to the P2P, these are cars made before 1976 and run completely stock, no engine swaps, no custom stuff at all, right? So, if we did the P2P this would mean that anything we build would need to be mostly stock with the only mods being "Rally" related, am I right? So no 454 LSX swapped Gullwing Mercedes or the like?

I found it interesting the veriety of cars run.  There was a '69 and '70 mustang run.  With the 1976 cutoff I think it would be interesting to see what the muscle car builders would throw in the mix.  Taking a GTO or  Superbird on a trials course would be a unique challenge.  The rally is all about getting through some very rough roads.  It brings back memories for me.  My first car was a '69 Mustang and I had 4 miles of Nebraska dirt road to drive to get to pavement.  Well, I should say mud pits, frozen ruts, snow drift covered paths, but the Mustang navegated them for the last 3 years I was home. 

1 hour ago, W-409 said:

Then I have good news. After conferring with some of the (un)usual suspects of the Cannonball CBP,  we have decided to run BOTH the Cannonball and the P2P!

Here's how it's gonna go down.

I will start the P2P Rally CBP on November 1, 2018, and end it on July 7th, 2019, the last day of the actual rally. As it's a gentlemen's race, no poll, no winner, no losers.

Then I will start the Cannonball (theme will be vans) as usual, on Jan 1 2019 - Dec 1 2019.

This way they will be staggered and people would have more time to participate in either or both.

I'm sorry to not offer a choice on the Cannonball theme like I normally would, but the following for vans was very strong when we chose this years theme, that when inliners beat them out by one vote, I believe, I was asked privately by at least three people if we could save it for 2019. So that's what I'm gonna do.

The Cannonball was won by a van built by our pal  Zenrat many years ago, so if you think a van isn't a good candidate, history says otherwise. Not to mention Brock Yates won the real one in a Dodge ambulance with a 440.

Vannette12_zps44iljlh1.jpg

Stay tuned race fans.

Sounds like a Win-Win! Let us know what the rules for the P2P will be. I am looking forward to this.

Do we need to post pictures of our in-liners for this years race in any special place? I finished a while back and just need to make sure it is in the right place.

2 hours ago, W-409 said:

That Peking to Paris run sounds interesting! I had so much other stuff this year that I just simply didn't have the time to build my entry for this year's Cannonball. Hopefullu next year will be different.

The rules on Peking to Paris race sound interesting. It's good that it wouldn't be possible to install modern driveline in an old body. I hate to see that happen to be honest. But other than that there would be lots of room for different race cars, so it would be fun. On the other hand the Vans-theme would be pretty cool too, but I'm not completely sold on it yet. Most of the Van kits don't have engine detail or opening hood. Of course that's not a problem, but even though a builder would modify an opening hood for a Van, often the engine is so far back that it's hardly visible. And in my opinion, one of the most interesting things in the Cannonball Run is seeing different engine combinations in different bodies. Of course not all Vans have this problem, but most of them do. Vans are cool, but maybe not the most ideal for this CBP, in my opinion at least.

Who ever said the engine has to stay in the stock location. If you want engine detail, put it in the middle like The Little Red Wagon, only in a van.

I think there are a lot of Options.

Will Van include Panel truck, Step Van, Cube Vans, Moving trucks (U-Haul), or Sedan Deliveries? Or no Car based vans like the Pinto Sedan Delivery?

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

Sounds like a Win-Win! Let us know what the rules for the P2P will be. I am looking forward to this.  I attachd the .pdf of 2016 rules. I'm not gonna vary much from the actual rally rules.

Do we need to post pictures of our in-liners for this years race in any special place? I finished a while back and just need to make sure it is in the right place. On Nov. 1 I'll post a completed builds thread for the poll.

30 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

Will Van include Panel truck, Step Van, Cube Vans, Moving trucks (U-Haul), or Sedan Deliveries? Or no Car based vans like the Pinto Sedan Delivery? No car based vans. No sedan deliveries or panels based on sedans. No station agons, cube vans or moving trucks. Panel trucks and step vans are fine. The drivers area and the storage area, must be one compartment. It's easily the most restrictive theme for the CBR we've ever tried. We'll see if all the folks that wanted it, actualy show up. Oh and if the box calls it a van, though it is clearly not, it's a no-go. Sorry Lindberg 38 Ford fans.

P2P 2016 Regs FINAL.pdf

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Who ever said the engine has to stay in the stock location. If you want engine detail, put it in the middle like The Little Red Wagon, only in a van.

I think there are a lot of Options.

Will Van include Panel truck, Step Van, Cube Vans, Moving trucks (U-Haul), or Sedan Deliveries? Or no Car based vans like the Pinto Sedan Delivery?

Yes, there are options and the engine can be mounted in any location. That's not a problem. But the engine is not very visible in the storage area either...Unless the Van has side windows. ;)

If I find a good Van to start with, I'll build something from it. I did one Monogram's '77 Chevy Van a few years ago and it was fun. But now I'd like to do something a bit different, so I'll have to see what I can find.:P

8 hours ago, W-409 said:

Yes, there are options and the engine can be mounted in any location. That's not a problem. But the engine is not very visible in the storage area either...Unless the Van has side windows. ;)

...But now I'd like to do something a bit different, so I'll have to see what I can find.:P

Something different with a visible engine?

RMX-4926-2.jpg

OK, I'm stoked about this!  Count me in for the P2P.  Got my kit lined up and will get it mid- november.  Going to be fun loading it up with all the stuff it has to carry.  Sleeping bags, tent, spares parts, tires.  Yup, this is going to be fun.  I might even make a couple of decals for it.  Long live the Rally!

There was just an article on the Dajibans in the latest Car&Driver or Road and Track. I'm not sure where to get those signature tires. They are all short wheelbase Dodges because they fit on the roads of Japan, eheh

Well, of course, there's many Watanabe wheels Made in Japan and different sizes.

https://hlj.com/1-24-scale-rs-watanabe-deep-rim-15inch-wheel-tire-brake-set-fuj19301

Maybe time to look for a Dodge van, or cut down the many old chevy van bodies to Dajiban size.

Edited by Foxer