Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT and MPC Please Put Out Significant Kits

regular guy

Some of the new releases do not do much for me.

Somebody tell them "You did good finding what you needed to put these out. Atta boy! Good job!"

"Now go back and make the '32 Ford Phaeton, '32 3 window and 5 window coupes and some Funny Cars."

Also. Forget the real obscure stuff for now. Rhino records put them selves out of business getting too obscure.

'You can't lead people where they will not follow'.

If it okay for most people to "Take it and like it." with what they are putting out. Oh well!

MY OPINION is they have put out some good kits.

I'm just concerned with the number of 'nothing kit's" they are putting out.

New Cobra kit is two thumbs up. Lot of the others are real snores!

Just trying to flag them down before they go off a cliff.

I'm not thrilled with most of the tooling Round2 has resurrected.  But a lot of people on this forum love a lot of these obscure kits.  If that helps bring in some revenue, hopefully they will then be able to fix some of the regular kit tooling that was butchered ('64 Cutlass, '65 Dynamic 88, '66 GS, '65 Fairlane, '65 Bonneville, '65 Falcon, etc.).  Then, hopefully, different versions of the repaired tooling can be tooled ('66 88, '65 and '66 Starfire, '65 442, '67 GS, '65 Catalina 2+2, etc.).  I don't get my hopes up, so I continue to buy old kits and promos since I don't expect much any more.  The model companies have gotten carried away with the endless Camaros, '70 Chevelles, and Impalas of the same year by different companies.  It's time for a fresh start with muscle cars of the '70s and '80s that were never done, as well as newer cars (ATS , CTS and ELR coupes, Jaguar convertible). Sadly, there aren't many interesting new cars on the road today .   

Edited by Motor City
messed up

" They will not spend money on tooling "

They should make parts they do not intend to do anything with 'open source'.

Let small specialty builders make low production runs of the kits.

Like AMT XR6. Wilhelm's Wonder. Tom Cognotti's T.

"Either watch , help or get out of the way."

They are getting in the way.

For the goals they have set for themselves they are doing a good job.

Guess it is a mater of how demanding of a buyer you are.

9 hours ago, BubbaBrown said:

i don"t see any change coming. They will not spend money on tooling. The younger fellas seem to like what they do but most of us white beards its just more blah blah blah.

Actually, Round 2's product line is almost entirely aimed at an older audience.   Reissues of old kits that older modelers like. 

' Yes, same tiresome drivel over and over again.  There must be already 100 threads on the same topic.  '

Good. What's your solution to an ongoing problem?

AMT and MPC are not coming out with "Wow!" kits.

The Hippie Hemi Autoworld Exclusive is a step in the right direction.

The reissue of Wynn's Jammer is an example of how they are missing the mark.

Original came with clear body. Reissue looks like it is just plain old plastic.

Doesn't get much worse than that.

Called Autoworld about clear plastic bodies. They said 'We don't know how to make them."

Great! Take what you got and send it to somebody who does.

They are doing a good job in a way.It could be worse. They could totally sit on interesting kits.

Could they please go the extra mile!

10 hours ago, Motor City said:

It's time for a fresh start with muscle cars of the '70s and '80s that were never done, as well as newer cars (ATS , CTS and ELR coupes, Jaguar convertible). Sadly, there aren't many interesting new cars on the road today .   

I'd love to see new tools of '80s and newer items, but Round 2 knows their core market of aging Baby Boomers will buy their reissues of old kits over and over again... that's been their modus operandi for some time, must be profitable.    

Recently, I spoke with a purveyor of aftermarket parts who's getting into the 3D-printed manufacturing business...but who is also seriously considering buying an injection-molding machine, and setting up as an independent US manufacturer of stuff that just isn't available elsewhere.

I saw a pre-production sample of one of their 3D products, and it's a knockout...a far better rendition of the subject than anyone else has done to date, and frankly, probably as good as this particular part will ever need to be to satisfy even the most discriminating builder for the foreseeable future. The target price is very reasonable too, especially considering the fantastic quality.

If this is a true indication of what the company is capable of, the sky's the limit.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

13 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Ugh...here we go again...:rolleyes:

And yet, here we are.  rising to the bait.

Round 2 has re released a few grail kits of mine, so I'm okay with what they're doing.  There's some stuff I'm not crazy about, but other people seem to be happy with them.    I certainly wouldn't object if they brought back a Deuce roadster, and they do seem to want feedback.

5 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Recently, I spoke with a purveyor of aftermarket parts who's getting into the 3D-printed manufacturing business...but who is also seriously considering buying an injection-molding machine, and setting up as an independent US manufacturer of stuff that just isn't available elsewhere.

I saw a pre-production sample of one of their 3D products, and it's a knockout...a far better rendition of the subject than anyone else has done to date, and frankly, probably as good as this particular part will ever need to be to satisfy even the most discriminating builder for the foreseeable future. The target price is very reasonable too, especially considering the fantastic quality.

If this is a true indication of what the company is capable of, the sky's the limit.

This sounds like great news, and I wish him luck.

2 hours ago, regular guy said:

" They will not spend money on tooling "

They should make parts they do not intend to do anything with 'open source'.

Let small specialty builders make low production runs of the kits.

Like AMT XR6. Wilhelm's Wonder. Tom Cognotti's T.

"Either watch , help or get out of the way."

They are getting in the way.

For the goals they have set for themselves they are doing a good job.

Guess it is a mater of how demanding of a buyer you are.

Who is Tom Cognotti? Don't you mean Don Tognotti? And what 3 window coupe? The little 1/32 one? 

What kind of research are companies like Round2 and Revell doing when deciding what kits to reissue? Do they just pick kits with their eyes covered and wish for the best? :)

Oh and I would love an SRT Viper kit but that will remain a dream of mine.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

What I forgot to mention above...a local fella here has been working on building CAD files of some VERY interesting cars for quite a few years now. He's had several 3D printed bodies and an almost complete kit done to  date, and the results are, in a word, stunning. The printed models verify the accuracy of the CAD files, "test shots" if you will, and the self-same files can be used to go directly to CNC code for cutting injection-molding tools that will exactly duplicate the 3D printed parts in fit and appearance, only in styrene rather than rapid-prototyping materials.

The possible emergence of "cottage industry" injection molding, using state-of-the-art digital imaging and design tech, combined with used molding equipment acquired at near scrap-metal prices, and using softer metal alloys for short-run dies (rather than the very hard tool-steels commonly associated with injection molding), has parallels with a guy named Gates who started building computers in his garage, when every "expert" knew only a huge company making mainframes could possibly succeed in the market.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

Ace

See if he can run off some stuff to sell now so we can support him.

XR8 body panels would be nice.

Little stuff like engines.

I would go $10 to 15 for some loose parts.

Clear  bodies?

Heck. Some people might want to buy what he's got as it comes off the molds.

12 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

What I forgot to mention above...a local fella here has been working on building CAD files of some VERY interesting cars for quite a few years now. He's had several 3D printed bodies and an almost complete kit done to  date, and the results are, in a word, stunning. The printed models verify the accuracy of the CAD files, "test shots" if you will, and the self-same files can be used to go directly to CNC code for cutting injection-molding tools that will exactly duplicate the 3D printed parts in fit and appearance, only in styrene rather than rapid-prototyping materials.

The possible emergence of "cottage industry" injection molding, using state-of-the-art digital imaging and design tech, combined with used molding equipment acquired at near scrap-metal prices, and using softer metal alloys for short-run dies (rather than the very hard tool-steels commonly associated with injection molding), has parallels with a guy named Gates who started building computers in his garage, when every "expert" knew only a huge company making mainframes could possibly succeed in the market.

I agree. With respect to most models, current economics have little in common with their predecessors from our youth. Kit runs are much smaller now.  I believe they're making runs of 30,000 (give or take) kits instead of 700,000.

That makes the cost of molds, and the rest of the kit development more critical than the manufacturing costs.  It also means you don't need the molds to last forever. Cutting a mold from aluminum is much cheaper than cutting one from steel. And, thanks to advancing technologies, you can use the same CAD file to create a 3-D printed part, or a mold. 

Over the very long term, 3-D printing costs will continue to decline, and that will further skew the economics at the niche end of the model market. I don't think we'll se resin casting with RTV molds disappear, but the number of parts you need to make to justify an RTV mold will rise over the long term. 

Now, if we could just make 3-D modeling software more user friendly. That would be a revolution. 

Well if it wasn't for round2 and other company's buying molds we would have what we have. Bottom line is money. Restoring molds. Not cheap. So some stuff will never happen again then you have the revell dump. There trying to save the company. So right now there not focused on older kits there 1/32 scale aircraft kits are flying off the shelf and there hard to fine just my 2 cents 

2 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Who is Tom Cognotti? Don't you mean Don Tognotti?

He has been corrected at least twice on the name of one of the pioneers of hot rodding and he still doesn't have enough respect to get Don Tognotti's name properly spelled. One of the posts where regular guy misspelled the name he had a picture of the box art for the King T that had Don's name in big letters on the box lid and he still mangled the name.  No respect given means less than none earned in return.

28 minutes ago, Toner283 said:

He has been corrected at least twice on the name of one of the pioneers of hot rodding and he still doesn't have enough respect to get Don Tognotti's name properly spelled. One of the posts where regular guy misspelled the name he had a picture of the box art for the King T that had Don's name in big letters on the box lid and he still mangled the name.  No respect given means less than none earned in return.

'regular guy's posts seems to be rambling and incoherent wish lists, best just to ignore him...