Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any Veterans out there ?

Greg Myers

On 11/9/2018 at 10:06 PM, Pete J. said:

1972-1981 USAF KC-135 driver.  92nd Air Refueling Squadron - Fairchild AFB, Wa  920th Air Refueling Squadron- Wurtsmith AFB, Mi.  One tour YTTF to U-Tapao Thailand. One tour on Diego Garcia, BIOT. 

Found this the today after posting this.  This is a photo taken at my then girl friends graduation from Flight Nursing school .  We met at Wurtsmith and were married two years after this photo was taken.  Two kids and several career changes(for me) and we are  41 year happily married!  

Donna and I.jpg

Edited by Pete J.

On 11/10/2018 at 1:06 AM, Pete J. said:

1972-1981 USAF KC-135 driver.  92nd Air Refueling Squadron - Fairchild AFB, Wa  920th Air Refueling Squadron- Wurtsmith AFB, Mi.  One tour YTTF to U-Tapao Thailand. One tour on Diego Garcia, BIOT. 

I know it's a big Air Force, but did you ever happen to run across another guy flying 135s named Bob Gaines?

Depending on when you were at Tapao, you might have gassed up another old friend flying F-105 and then F-4 Wild Weasels.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I know it's a big Air Force, but did you ever happen to run across another guy flying 135s named Bob Gaines?

Depending on when you were at Tapao, you might have gassed up another old friend flying F-105 and then F-4 Wild Weasels.

Sorry, not that I recall.  When I was in there were over 50 squadrons and 700+ aircraft.  Not sure how many crews at that time but there were a lot. I was at U-Tapao at the very end of the war and we never went against the Weasels that I knew of.  We didn't know much about the the receivers.  We went up to a refueling track and took on anyone who showed up until we got down to bingo fuel.  My room mate in Pilot training was a guy named Jerry Irwin.  From UPT he went to F-105 weasels in Clark AFB and the F-4 weasels. 

United States Marine Corps with the 1st Battalion, 13th Marines. That’s an artillery outfit. I was. forward observer while in Vietnam 1969-1970.

Presently at Reagan National airport waiting the flight home. We spend every Veterans Day at The Wall.  This trip number 36 for me and 19 for Marcia.

10 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Saw the Nuclear Ship Savana there, along with the only port I'd ever seen so many ships marked U.S.ARMY  

Was the Savana a sub?  I saw a Sub in Naha Port and almost got in trouble taking a picture of a guy cleaning the conning tower.  I also got to take a tour through the same sub.  Of course I had to keep the camera closed at all times going through the sub.  Yeah I was told the Army had more ships than the Navy.  Go figure.  I really don't know if that was true or not.

1 hour ago, 59 Impala said:

Was the Savana a sub? ...

NS Savannah was the world's first nuclear-powered freighter; she was launched in 1959 and went to sea in 1962. https://atomicinsights.com/cover-story-why-did-savannah-fail/

Related image   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Savannah

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, 59 Impala said:

Yeah I was told the Army had more ships than the Navy.

I was always told the Army had more boats than the Navy, and the Navy had more fighter planes than the Air Force.  The Army does/did have a lot of ships, but it was the small craft where they out-boated the Navy.

18 hours ago, SSNJim said:

I was always told the Army had more boats than the Navy, and the Navy had more fighter planes than the Air Force.  The Army does/did have a lot of ships, but it was the small craft where they out-boated the Navy.

Yep, that's the quote I remember but couldn't remember it the other day.  Thanks for reminding me Jim.