Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60 Austin-Healey 'Bugeye' Sprite

Randy Kern

Another stalled project I started earlier this year, and finally finished. Bob Downie's exceptional build of this kit got me started, once I finally found the right wheels and tires. This is the Gunze Sangyo 1/24 scale kit of the Austin-Healey 'Bugeye' Sprite, which I believe is the only manufacturer to do one in this scale range. It is a curbside, their 'low tech' version, as their 'high tech' version includes metal parts and photo etched badges. I built it how I might want my 1/1 Bugeye to look like some day. Instead of the ordinary old British Red, I spiced it up with Tamiya's Mica Red, with a black interior. The wheels are Fujimi's version of Panasports, to me the best looking brand of the infamous Minilite style wheel. Along with getting the car as low as possible, I also made a p.e. mesh grille, cut down the windshield, converted the dash to L.H. drive, made a Moto Lita brand steering wheel, added seat belts, solder roll bar, solder exhaust with dual aluminum tip muffler, and p.e. badges. Hopefully, I will embarrass my son (NickF40) with an early photo of him and our Bugeye in my signature box. Thanks for looking!

Wallpaper.jpg

wallpaper-2.jpg

wallpaper2.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

Nice Bugeye Randy!! I think yours is the first one of that kit I've seen built! That paint looks flawless!

Your Bugeye reminds me an awful lot of my old '71 MG Midget------a very tiny car by even today's standards for sure!

...........And look at little Nickie!.............awwwww............:unsure::D

Awww dang, I missed it! I didn't get to see it finished, oh well. ;) It sure came out good, I love the way it turned out and I see you got the exhaust perfect! :unsure:

now, about that real one......... :D

Yeah yeah Bill, I just noticed I look a bit like Angus Young! :blink: :blink:

Edited by Nick F40

Yeah yeah Bill, I just noticed I look a bit like Angus Young! ;):blink:

Yeah, just throw on a ball cap with a bunch of long curly hair attached to the back, and pick up a guitar and you got it! Oh, but you need to fix your socks! :D

That looks great, Randy! I can't wait to see it at the Sept. meeting. Meanest looking Bugeye I've ever seen! :unsure:

Edited by dub

Very nicely built little Bugeye, Randy!!

The paint and BMF work look GREAT!!

The cut-down glass makes it look MEAN!!

Hey, I din't know that Nick F40 was your son!!

Later,

;):angry:

Yeah, just throw on a ball cap with a bunch of long curly hair attached to the back, and pick up a guitar and you got it! Oh, but you need to fix your socks! :P

That looks great, Randy! I can't wait to see it at the Sept. meeting. Meanest looking bugeye I've ever seen! ;)

:)

Very cool build!!

What's the part number for those wheels??

Raul, maybe I shouldn't have divulged that information? laugh.gif Brian, that wheel & tire set is no longer made, so your best bet is shows, swap meets or e-bay, where I found them. I wish they would re-do 'em, I know they would sell well.

They were just reissued again

Hobbysearch

Hobbylink

Edited by Zoom Zoom

Raul, maybe I shouldn't have divulged that information? :unsure: Brian, that wheel & tire set is no longer made, so your best bet is shows, swap meets or e-bay, where I found them. I wish they would re-do 'em, I know they would sell well.

Now it makes sense why I got an email from Nick F40 saying that his father was injured in a bike accident, but the note didn't say who his father was. The note read like Nick F40 had been injured and his son was letting people know that his father, Nick F40 had been injured.

Later,

Great build there, the color is unusual for the car but it works very well. I agree that the BRG is just to obvious for the car. I have a 1/1 MGA in BRG (brought it in that color) and all though it looks good, it is not my favorite. The MGB my son and I are currently rebuilding is painted in a hot new pearl red color very much like your build. I like the color we both chose. I also like your wheel choice...the Minilite look is great on the car. My only problem with bugeye's is that they, in real life, are just too small for me. At the British car shows, they get a lot of attention, as everyone loves the look, but I like a little more "tin" around me. Nice build.