Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 CBR - the Vannonball Run!

Jantrix

2 hours ago, MeatMan said:

I'll back you if you need it.

Thanks, that will be great... I hope we can pick a theme that will be inspiring and fun. I'm pulling for the Movie car theme myself but I want to consider the majority of the possible contestants because I don't want to minimize anyone's ideas. 

12 hours ago, disconovaman said:

That would be Awesome! I'm into the "Movie Cars" theme and if we all can agree, I'll get started on presentation so we can start picking our projects. One thing I would ask in the rules is that if a Racer declares a specific Movie subject, please don't choose the same one... (First come first serve) For example: the "Bandit Trans Am" one entry per race please. There are enough movie cars that we can all pick a different one. This will make it easier for voting at the end and be fair to the the participants. It will also be like each individual movie car showed up for the race... Starsky's Torino, Bo's Charger, Mavrick's Firebird or The Fall guys GMC.

I was actually going to say the opposite about limiting entries to one of a certain subject. Sometimes people don't enter or don't finish because they can't build the car that really inspires them. Even if five people say they want to build a General Lee in the beginning the likelyhood that even one will get finished is pretty small so just let people build whatever and the voting will sort it out in the end. But I will yield to the majority, naturally. 

12 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

To be honest I just couldn't get into the van theme

I had the best idea... I just couldn't find the time to start it. It's gonna be involved for sure... Revell's 65 suburban cab-forward panel van. I still plan on building it one day. My buddy has around 6,000 kits in his basement so I was gonna open the back doors and put scaled model boxes wall to wall in the back... with Joel's Mobile Model Car Service on the side... 

I still have that plan, sounds like fun? Now I just want to go back a year and enter the Vannonball Run!  Dang it... Lol 

20 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

and the voting will sort it out in the end.

That would work... I guess you'd be voting for the builder rather that the kit built anyway.  So, if say...we do have two General lee's then we'd be voting for the car we like the best? It might be hard to choose which one since I really like the General lee lol ?

I would hope that not everyone builds the same car. If I checked the updates and seen 3 or 4 of the same thing I would just choose something else since I have so many favorites anyway. also I thought it would be fun to race to see if you could be the first to announce your entry before someone else does... Like if you want to build the Bullitt Mustang get to the Official build thread first to secure your entry...and you've already won the right to build that kit.

58 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I would hope that not everyone builds the same car. If I checked the updates and seen 3 or 4 of the same thing I would just choose something else since I have so many favorites anyway. also I thought it would be fun to race to see if you could be the first to announce your entry before someone else does... Like if you want to build the Bullitt Mustang get to the Official build thread first to secure your entry...and you've already won the right to build that kit.

I'm not married to one way or the other, probably best to let folks vote about it. We should probably start a 2020 theme thread so more people can see the discussion is starting.

33 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

We should probably start a 2020 theme thread so more people can see the discussion is starting.

Already got one going on the community page lol... Check it out... I'm going to give it about 10 days to see what the General consensus is and then we will choose the most popular one.

Okay scofflaws, the poll is up. There are still one or two finishers who didn't get their entries posted. I contacted them a few days ago, but this is where it stands. Because the entry numbers are within the parameters of the MCM polling feature, we don't have to go outside our "neighborhood" to vote, like we did last year.

So follow along and we'll close the poll when Jantrix and I feel like voting has dried up, which is usually about 10days to two weeks.

At this time, I have declared OldMopars and his terrific 4x4 van the winner of this years Cannonball. Thanks again to Mike for taking care of the poll. It is a top shelf model and the good work is obvious. I'd like to thank everyone who particiapted this year and every year for the last 12 YEARS! When I started this, I never dreamed it would last so long. It is testament to the love people have for the source material and the outstanding, imaginative models you guys turn out year after year. 

Thanks to Anthony for taking up the reins for next years run. I know it will be an epic run. As always have fun and watch out for two priests in a red Ferrari.

Hello buddies,

I wanted to say I´m sorry.

I was so amazed of the idea "Vannonball" and really wanted to participate but my whole life changed with my move in July. Since that time I´m working in my new job and even more to get our new home done. It´s still a lot of work to do.

I thank Rob for his energy keeping the "Cannonball" alive.

To the modelers who did their job. I like what came out. I hope for myself to possibly join next year again and this time I will try to finish a model.

I wish all of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Rico