Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1926 Mack AC Dump Truck

Managed to get some work dome on the Mack AC over the last few days.  The frame is essentially complete, so the next step is the cab & dump box.  Fingers crossed the decals done disintegrate once they hit the water!

20190123_220514.jpg

Edited by Jim B

That's a good color for the chassis, Jim.  Here's another thought for the chain drive.  Dry brush the chain with a bit of metallic silver, especially on the sides just to highlight it.  Then cover that with a dry brush of gloss black to give it an oily look.  NO rust!  They oiled these chains on a regular basis so it would not be rusty by any means unless it had been sitting for a very long time.  JMHO!:D

Thanks for the idea, Charlie.  I might just give that a try.  Do you know what they used to grease these chains?  Was it something like chainsaw bar oil, or was it actually grease?

Here is what she looks like now with everything just sort of placed on the frame.  The cab, hood, & fenders are assembled & ready for paint.  The body is in the assemble process now.  I'm finding the green plastic not nearly as bas to paint as the red or blue plastic.

20190125_125828.jpg

Edited by Jim B

To the best of my knowledge, Jim they used heavy weight oil.  I don't remember the AC in particular but the AP's had a small round oil reservoir mounted on the frame just above the small sprocket.  The reservoir had a cap on top and a small drip line coming from the end that was curved downward toward the sprocket.  The oil dripped one drop at a time onto the chain as it went around and kept it lubricated.  Here's a photo of the AP that I did showing what I mean.  In the photo the long tanks to the right are air brake tanks.  The small tank to the left of them is the oil reservoir.

098.thumb.JPG.239ac5bf95d08f288a529df3ba605f1a.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Since Jim B got me hooked on the 1926 Mack I've acquired the four Monogram kits.  Did a bunch of research and got more hooked. Now the pic Brad posted has me really enthralled with the beauty of them in their various forms and especially the different wheels.  I want the earlier wood spoke versions and won't rest until I have the ones in Brad's pic.  I don't expect to find them already made so I'll be making my own via computer modelling and 3D printing. First step is tracking down actual examples to measure in detail.

Sorry for the confusion.  I want both, the early wood spoke wheels with the solid rubber tires AND the pneumatic tire version on steel spoke wheels exactly like Brad's pic shows.  I've seen a pic of demountable pneumatic tires on a five spoke wheel that was maybe a converted solid tire wheel.  Seems like there were many options for the AC wheels over the span of years it was produced.

I think only the real early AC's in the teens had the wood spoke wheels.  The wheels in the kit are definitely steel, both front and rear.  Below is a 1917 American LaFrance rig I built years ago using the Stutz Bearcat kit as a basis.  It has these wheels (wood?) in the kit.  The rear ones have a bit more beef to them than the front ones do.5c64ca8f27df8_1917ALF.thumb.JPG.93afd918da457363d75316da8afc14a2.JPG  Jeff Harper recently did a 1907 Mack that has the wheels you are looking for as well.  Here is a photo of his work.  He will have it with him at NNL East in April.

35.jpg.64dbb26a003a96d17de7f21803d0e9e4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So, it's been a little while, but I managed to get some decals onto "Ole' No. 25" today.  I'm not entirely happy with how they look, but I am grateful that they didn't just disintegrate once they hit the water considering how old the decals are.

20190310_123254.jpg

20190310_123243.jpg