Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 1 month later...

thank you Dale :)

Funnily enough, I picked this up again last night and spent 4 hours masking the black on a quarter of the bottom hull section, with more to be done tonight.

I'll update this again once I have finished the painting of the bottom hull which should be in a couple of weeks (I hope).

Then comes the fun part: adding the fiber threads

Thanks David :)

Yeah mate, started this in Aug of 2018 - my longest ever project so far.  When I started it, I thought I'd add just a few details and some lights (how hard could it be??), yet here we are  nearly 5 years on. Still, despite the time, its been fun for the most part.

Am nearly done with the black masking - just a quarter left to do which wont take long. First gray should be down this weekend and all being well, the whole thing painted in 2 weeks

Man I just can't get enough of this build Simon. I know this has been going on for a while now but you've been knockin' this thing out of the park the whole way through. It's one of those builds that as an onlooker you really don't want to come to an end as it's just....that.....good.

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2023 at 10:20 PM, Madhatter said:

thanks Joe! Sorry for my late reply - haven't been  online much these days and haven't touched a model for a few weeks now, let alone this one. Severe lack of enthusiasm for building

Glad to see you back at it man. Hang in there brother.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since I last updated this but I have been working on it. Still no sign of my fiber cable so will now need to look at sourcing from somewhere else. In the mean time, I have been making some more buildings and working on the ship itself.
Starting with the ship, I have penciled in the panel lines using a 0.03mm mechanical pencil and a cut up credit card. I'm debating whether or not to take some of them back but I quite like it as is.

20230521_211802

20230521_211806

20230521_211810

20230521_211753

20230521_211742

20230521_211750

20230521_223342

And finally, a rough layout of the taller buildings for the base. I am waiting on some silicone molding stuff to arrive this coming Tuesday as I want to cast some of the newer pieces. Once that's done, I can start finishing off these structures and getting them detailed ready for lighting and painting

20230518_121923

Well, that's it for now, but will be back again soon.
As always, thanks for stopping in and having a look
Si

Nice progress on this Si!

I hadn't noticed until just now but it looks like there are aircraft style elevators along the trailing edge of the main fuselage. I can't imagine that this ship was designed for atmo flight, there aren't any other visible control surfaces anyway. Then I thought, "thrust vectoring" but would that even be effective in space?

I'm sure it's just a visual interest feature. But that's just the way mind works.

This sure will be awesome when it's done.

David G.

• Thanks 1

Thanks David. I'll put my geek hat on here and state that I do believe they were capable of flying in atmosphere. The ones in ROTJ had paddles on the engine bells and my Greenstrawberry set did have them but I never liked them myself - they looked to much like an after thought, so I left them off. I try not to think about the actualities of SW ships as I don't want to ruin the fun factor they have for me :D

On 5/22/2023 at 5:54 AM, David G. said:

Nice progress on this Si!

I hadn't noticed until just now but it looks like there are aircraft style elevators along the trailing edge of the main fuselage. I can't imagine that this ship was designed for atmo flight, there aren't any other visible control surfaces anyway. Then I thought, "thrust vectoring" but would that even be effective in space?

I'm sure it's just a visual interest feature. But that's just the way mind works.

This sure will be awesome when it's done.

David G.

In a couple of the movies, you can see these "hovering" in atmosphere. Rogue One for sure, and I think the Rise of Skywalker too.

If I recall, in one of the books, they use something called Repulsorlift, which is like an anti-gravity. 

star-wars-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-jedha-star-destroyer-wallpaper.jpg

As for flight in atmosphere, most Star Wars craft seem to be able to do so. Millennium Falcon is probably the best example of something that shouldn't be able to fly, yet does.

Yeah, I geek out over some of this stuff!

:)

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

In a couple of the movies, you can see these "hovering" in atmosphere. Rogue One for sure, and I think the Rise of Skywalker too.

If I recall, in one of the books, they use something called Repulsorlift, which is like an anti-gravity. 

star-wars-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-jedha-star-destroyer-wallpaper.jpg

As for flight in atmosphere, most Star Wars craft seem to be able to do so. Millennium Falcon is probably the best example of something that shouldn't be able to fly, yet does.

Yeah, I geek out over some of this stuff!

:)

Thanks Dan!

Obviously I haven't seen (or have yet to see) all the movies and TV shows. 

I had no idea that they could do that. Of course anything can be done in Science Fiction if it serves the story line... or even if it doesn't :D 

Thanks for the follow-up.

David G. 

2 hours ago, David G. said:

Thanks Dan!

Obviously I haven't seen (or have yet to see) all the movies and TV shows. 

I had no idea that they could do that. Of course anything can be done in Science Fiction if it serves the story line... or even if it doesn't :D 

Thanks for the follow-up.

David G. 

That's the beauty of "science fantasy" as I call it.

Anything is possible!

OK, well, I have finished putting in all the panel lines and I am really happy with how they came out. It was a fair amount of work but IMO, worth every minute. I reckon it took a total of about 4- 5 hours to do the whole ship - which given how long its taken me to get this far could be considered mind blowingly fast :) 

20230527_110018

20230527_110032

20230527_000031

20230527_000002

then you put it all together and you get this:

20230527_110536

20230527_110439

20230527_110503

20230527_110426

And finally, the obligatory bridge shot:

20230527_110654

Well, that's it for now. I'll continue working on the base until I get some more fiber. I still need to add a clear coat to the ship and then I'll do a small wash in places to bring out more detail but other than that, yeah, the painting side is pretty much done. Open to any suggestions on how to make it better

As always, thanks for continuing to stop in and have a look

Si

• Like 1