Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Falcon A/FX

afx

Thanks Mike. Thanks for the suggestion Andy.  I've been leaving the wings in place until I sort out the core support and bumper attachment.  Most likely I will scratch build the core support like I did on my '61 Gasser.

DSCN5062

Edited by afx
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, afx said:

Thanks Len.  Snake, the build will be heavily based on the Daddy Warbucks Falcon but not necessarily a 100% recreation. For instance I don't plan on attempting to remove the side trim.

It's like you read my mind! That was gonna be the next thing I asked you. B)

I don't think that trim would be TOO hard to shave/file off, if you have the right tools, except right up at the front where it comes to the peak, where it could get VERY interesting/dicey. 

I'm gonna leave it on the glue bomb I'm rebuilding (I'm even gonna polish the white trim strip, and mask that off before painting),  but I'd eventually like to build a good Daddy Warbucks. 

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

It's like you read my mind! That was gonna be the next thing I asked you. B)

I don't think that trim would be TOO hard to shave/file off, if you have the right tools, except right up at the front where it comes to the peak, where it could get VERY interesting/dicey. 

I'm gonna leave it on the glue bomb I'm rebuilding (I'm even gonna polish the white trim strip, and mask that off before painting),  but I'd eventually like to build a good Daddy Warbucks. 

I'm concerned it would be difficult to keep the peak of the body panel (that is currently covered by the trim) straight as you sand/scrap away the trim.

Image result for 65 falcon

Edited by afx

Finally removed the wings at the front of the frame that Andy pointed out earlier shouldn't be there on a Falcon.  Fabricated the core support, radiator comes from the Comet kit.

DSCN6007DSCN6008

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, afx said:

I'm concerned it would be difficult to keep the peak of the body panel (that is currently covered by the trim) straight as you sand/scrap away the trim.

Image result for 65 falcon

JC the way to do this is to sand the bottom of the chrome 1st then come back and do the top. This will keep the sharpe peak where the chrome was.

I think two types of tools would be VERY useful in removing this trim: Chisel-point Xacto blades, and riffler files. 

Without that trim removed, there's not a whole lot of "real estate" on the body sides for a car name, sponsor name, parts decals, etc. That's a problem I'm trying to work around on the one I'm doing at the moment, since I'm not taking the trim off this one. 

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Couldn't quote, got the 404 error. 

For the front wheels, are you using AMT '49 Ford (from Rep & Mins?) wheels or the five-slot fronts from the MPC Vega?...or something else entirely?

They are resin and I don't recall the source.  Wheel backs from the parts box and tires (I think) are from the T-bolt kit.

DSCN6027

Edited by afx
  • Like 1