Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Chevrolet Impala SS 409

mrmike

18 hours ago, gearhedjon said:

Not trying to take over your thread, but I like the oil filter decal. How can I get one?

Just save that picture and resize it accordingly, print on regular paper, cut and glue on black filter, I do it all the time with batteries:

Finished 030 (Large).JPG

DL resized 2.jpg

IMG_6906re.JPG

4 hours ago, dino246gt said:

Just save that picture and resize it accordingly, print on regular paper, cut and glue on black filter, I do it all the time with batteries:

Finished 030 (Large).JPG

DL resized 2.jpg

IMG_6906re.JPG

Without looking at the poster, I thought that I recognize those models..And sure enough after I read who posted the pictures I knew I was right..

Fresh out of the Easy-Off bath.  I got most of the Model Master Flame Red paint off the body.  Some sanding and a good coat of Model Master Lacquer White Primer to restart the painting process.  Other than what has been explained to me by others in my Club that had issues with older Lindberg plastic and new paint, I am clueless as to why this plastic has cracked.  I'll sand all this down and then reprime the surface.

More to come...

SS40920.JPG

SS40919.JPG

SS40921.JPG

On 3/18/2019 at 4:14 PM, gearhedjon said:

Thank you for the information. I do not have a printer or know how to resize the saved picture. Any other way?

Slixx sells these oil filter "Mini Sheets".

Might not have everything you're looking for, but one sheet has a lifetime of oil filter decals!

Steve

2v2E6ttkCxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E6ttiLxwUbWP.jpg

I fired up the paint booth this afternoon and shot the Impala with a good coat of Model Master White Lacquer primer.  Now for some sanding and then back to the paint booth for some Model Master Flame Red Lacquer.

More to come...

SS40923.JPG

SS40922.JPG

SS40924.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to work on the Impala yesterday.  I painted the seats of the Impala with Tamiya X-7 Red which a very close match to the Model Master Flame Red that I'll be using for the body and hood.  But, the paint seeped under the tape I had used so those will need some cleanup.  This afternoon was spent assembliing the chassis which is almost complete.

More to come...

SS40925.JPG

SS40926.JPG

SS40927.JPG

I assembled the wheels yesterday and glued the front wheels to the chassis, then i found out that the wheels wobbled!  Not sure why I continue to make these wheels want to roll since they should glued solid to prevent the model from rolling.  I took the wheels apart and glued the wheel backs and the wheel retainers together.  No more wobble!

More to come...

SS40928.JPG

SS40929.JPG

SS40930.JPG

• 1 month later...

Well, I am becoming more and more frustrated with this build!  The paint is a lacquer and it should be fairly dry to the touch.  But it isn't.  It is still tacky to the touch.  I think its going back into the box for a while and I'll build something else for the Classic Plastic Club Challenge.

More to come...someday!

SS40931.JPG

SS40932.JPG

SS40933.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just for the heck of it, I checked on the Impala body and guess what?  It is still tacky to the touch.  I just don't get it.  It should be dry by now, but something is still keeping the paint tacky.  It is lacquer paint and it doesn't smell like it is gassing out anymore, so technically it should be dry, but it isn't.  It is back in the box and sitting on the shelf until I can come up with a solution.

It is and has been rather humid in your area hasn't it? Current humidity is really high, according to a weather app. Humidity plays havoc on paint in many ways as we have all learned. 

Edit: Never mind, I didn't notice the date you posted this. Has it finally dried?  

Looks good so far, hope it dries out for ya. 

Edited by Rider

Actually, it has been cool and dry in the Northeast with the exception of rain showers passing through every other day or so.  Not sure how I want to proceed, yet.  Part of me hates to abandon a project that has come to the point of adding a completed body to finish the project.  I thought about gettting the AMT version (same kit as Lindberg) and finishing the body  and adding that to this build just to finish it.  Something about the plastic in this kit...

17 hours ago, mrmike said:

Well, just for the heck of it, I checked on the Impala body and guess what?  It is still tacky to the touch.  I just don't get it.  It should be dry by now, but something is still keeping the paint tacky.

Have you thought of getting a food dehydrator? I have one in the garage where I spray paint and one in the house where I glue everything together. I love them...but then patience is not one of my virtues.:D

I do have a dehydrator and the Impala was place in it for at least 8 hours and the paint is still tacky to the touch.  I used Testors lacquer primer and lacquer paint and the primer has been completely dry for several weeks when I painted the Impala in my friend's paintbooth.  It has been several weeks since I painted the Impala and the paint is still  tacky to the touch.  I have been trying to find out more info about this condition, but that info is very limited and mostly heresay now.  The kit has been boxed up and put away and I may never finish it which is a shame since I don't really like abandoning a project that has come this far.      

Edited by mrmike

Well I for one was hoping to see it finished Mike. I have the exact same kit that I was about to start a long slow build on. I certainly understand your frustration...sometimes you just have to back away.:unsure:

Edited by NOBLNG

9 hours ago, mrmike said:

I do have a dehydrator and the Impala was place in it for at least 8 hours and the paint is still tacky to the touch.  I used Testors lacquer primer and lacquer paint and the primer has been completely dry for several weeks when I painted the Impala in my friend's paintbooth.  It has been several weeks since I painted the Impala and the paint is still  tacky to the touch.  I have been trying to find out more info about this condition, but that info is very limited and mostly heresay now.  The kit has been boxed up and put away and I may never finish it which is  a shame since I don't really like abandoning a project that has come this far.      

I've been curious about this too. So I did my own searches with little to nothing substantial. High humidity  keeps coming up, which is why I mentioned it. You said the primer was dry so it couldn't be anything on the shell, which you had expressed concern about. It's defiantly a perplexing issue, and one I would like to know the reason for it. 

Stripping it is always an option. 

Edited by Rider

Mike, I recently experienced this with Model Master Panther Pink lacquer.  I painted a ‘70 Super Bee back In April and while it isn’t tacky the paint is not hard.  When I tried to clamp two parts recently the clamps left impressions in the paint.  I have used these lacquers for years and never experienced a problem.  

Like you I used the dehydrator but it didn’t cure the paint.

I will say that even though I paint indoors the humidity in Ohio has been higher than normal this year.

Edited by Curt

Curtis, the paint has been stripped once and if I do that again, I'll end up back where I am now, with a tacky body.  I was told that there maybe a substance in the plastic that causes this.  The plastic is not hard enough or something like that.

Curt, I have always thought that Model Master Lacquer Paint was a little too thick.  It's 10 times thicker than Tamiya spray paint.  I have a feeling that I maybe getting more Tamiya paint in the future.

How's it going , Mike ? I hope that all's well outside of this '61 Imp giving you fits .

May I suggest another approach to the strip-and-respray ? I realise that you use oven cleaner as a stripper ( nothing wrong with that --- whatever works ) but how about Purple Power (et al.) ? Should strip that paint in short order ; I've always had the best luck with Purple Power .

After stripping then washing , perhaps a bit of time in the dehydrator -- sans primer or paint ; just bare plastic -- then a few light coats of Kilz (or whatever that aerosol barrier is called) with sanding between coats ? See how that reacts to clean (relatively speaking) plastic ; a satisfactory reaction (e.g. , no crazing) could then be primered in light coats with wet sanding between coats . 

Personally , I use alternating colours of primer whenever I perform body work ; grey-red oxide-grey-black ( you get the idea ) . It works as a guide coat as well as indicating "burn-through" to the plastic .

Best of luck , my friend !

Edited by 1972coronet

26 minutes ago, mrmike said:

Curtis, the paint has been stripped once and if I do that again, I'll end up back where I am now, with a tacky body.  I was told that there maybe a substance in the plastic that causes this.  The plastic is not hard enough or something like that.

Curt, I have always thought that Model Master Lacquer Paint was a little too thick.  It's 10 times thicker than Tamiya spray paint.  I have a feeling that I maybe getting more Tamiya paint in the future.

I can't see it being the plastic itself. Try a little of that paint on a plastic spoon or another junk body and see if it dries. If it is really a lacquer paint it SHOULD dry very quickly unless it is faulty.