Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

question about A/E Olds '66 1/25 442 W30 kit engine

fiatboy

Big block? Back then an Oldsmobile V8 was one size block in variety of displacements. No big blocks. No small blocks. Just an Oldsmobile V8. A 442 400 basically looks the same as a Toronado 425. Color will be different. The 442 V8's in '66 were painted a bronze color. The 425 V8s, red. 

Edited by unclescott58

In case you don't already know this: AMT/ERTL released that '66 Olds 442 as a hardtop and convertible, with 2 different engines. 

The hardtop has triple 2-barrel carbs, a (very nice) W-30 Ram-Air setup and no air conditioning.  For a Toronado, you probably want the convertible kit. It has a single 4-barrel carb and air conditioning belts, compressor etc.

This might not matter to you, but for anyone who doesn't know it: the original issue of the 442 hardtop, with the photo of the red car on the box, has the Ram Air scoops in the wrong place under the grille.  AMT/ERTL fixed that in later re-issues.

Edited by Mike999
goof

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

In case you don't already know this: AMT/ERTL released that '66 Olds 442 as a hardtop and convertible, with 2 different engines. 

The hardtop has triple 2-barrel carbs, a (very nice) W-30 Ram-Air setup and no air conditioning.  For a Toronado, you probably want the convertible kit. It has a single 4-barrel carb and air conditioning belts, compressor etc.

This might not matter to you, but for anyone who doesn't know it: the original issue of the 442 hardtop, with the photo of the red car on the box, has the Ram Air scoops in the wrong place under the grille.  AMT/ERTL fixed that in later re-issues.

It's not really two different engines. But, two different variations of the same basic engine. 

Also something to consider, First gen Toronados used a unique intake manifold. It was slightly dished so the carb and air cleaner would clear the low hood. All the JoHan Toros and Eldorados used the Olds engine with the correct intake. The JoHan "USA Oldies" issue of the '70 442 also has this intake, although it's wrong for anything besides a Toronado. 

Scott's right about the engines being different colors. The early Toro engines were light metallic blue. You can also see in this pic how low the air cleaner assembly is.

Related image

Oh, and BTW, the 442 frame would be wildly incorrect for a Toronado, they were front wheel drive.

Of corse, this all just assuming you want to build the car stock. ;)

Edited by Can-Con

50 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Also something to consider, First gen Toronados used a unique intake manifold. It was slightly dished so the carb and air cleaner would clear the low hood. All the JoHan Toros and Eldorados used the Olds engine with the correct intake. The JoHan "USA Oldies" issue of the '70 442 also has this intake, although it's wrong for anything besides a Toronado. 

Scott's right about the engines being different colors. The early Toro engines were light metallic blue. You can also see in this pic how low the air cleaner assembly is.

Related image

Oh, and BTW, the 442 frame would be wildly incorrect for a Toronado, they were front wheel drive.

Of corse, this all just assuming you want to build the car stock. ;)

Ah. Your right. I forgot that Toronados engines were painted that light metallic blue, rather than red of the Olds engines (except 442 of course). 

3 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Ah. Your right. I forgot that Toronados engines were painted that light metallic blue, rather than red of the Olds engines (except 442 of course). 

I honestly can't figure out what Olds engines were what colors besides the Toros. 

I had a '70 Delta 88 back in the early '80s. it had a 455 2 bbl in it. It was that Olds bronze/gold color too.

My best guess is the regular engines were bronze and the hi performance ones were red, but ?? :unsure:

But then again, I seem to remember seeing some non-Toro engines in metallic blue too, but a bit darker ? Maybe I'm just remembering that wrong.

Here is what I have for colors on Oldsmobile Generation 2 engines.

400 '65-'67 Bronze 
400 '68-'69 Bronze 
425 '65-'67 Red; Toronado is Blue 
455 '68-'72 Red; Toronado & 1970+ is Metallic Blue 
455 '72-'76 Metallic Blue 
High compression 425s and early 455s were painted red and the air clearners were an orange/red, definately a different shade from the engine. Low compression 425s had black air cleaners. 

On 2/27/2019 at 11:12 PM, Force said:

Here is what I have for colors on Oldsmobile Generation 2 engines.

400 '65-'67 Bronze 
400 '68-'69 Bronze 
425 '65-'67 Red; Toronado is Blue 
455 '68-'72 Red; Toronado & 1970+ is Metallic Blue 
455 '72-'76 Metallic Blue 
High compression 425s and early 455s were painted red and the air clearners were an orange/red, definately a different shade from the engine. Low compression 425s had black air cleaners. 

Well, the engine in my '70 Delta 88 was definitely a 455 2bbl and it was that bronze/gold color.

On 27/02/2019 at 12:35 PM, unclescott58 said:

Big block? Back then an Oldsmobile V8 was one size block in variety of displacements. No big blocks. No small blocks. Just an Oldsmobile V8. A 442 400 basically looks the same as a Toronado 425. Color will be different. The 442 V8's in '66 were painted a bronze color. The 425 V8s, red. 

Sort of...  the 400-425-455 did have a bigger block with a taller deck height and bigger mains than the 330-350, although the basic architecture was the same.

Edited by dodgefever

16 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Well, the engine in my '70 Delta 88 was definitely a 455 2bbl and it was that bronze/gold color.

I got this list from internet somewhere and it's what I have, so I don't know if it's wrong or not.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27.2.2019 at 12:35 PM, unclescott58 said:

Yes, the 425 in my 1966 Delta 88 convertible was indeed red.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 6:35 AM, unclescott58 said:

Wrongo! Big block Olds had taller deck height, 330 was shorter than 400, 425 etc. Only pontiac blocks were the same demensions.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:25 PM, spike morelli said:

My '70 Olds 442 W-30, which is a 455, was the light metallic blue. There was also a high performance 350 cubed car which was called the W-31, and that engine was gold. .

With 442 Olds.jpg

Great car. The name Spike suits you.

On 3/28/2019 at 9:05 AM, W-31 said:

Wrongo! Big block Olds had taller deck height, 330 was shorter than 400, 425 etc. Only pontiac blocks were the same demensions.

Similar to the AMC V8 engines of '66 & up ; deck height is the difference , though there's no "big" nor "small" designation .