Model Cars Magazine Forum

A visit with Tim Rice...and visual proof of heretofore unknown AMT Treasures....

tim boyd

Join us here for a great visit with Tim Rice, formerly of AMT's Modeling Shop at the Maple Road factory in Troy, Michigan.

Check out the photos and PLEASE read the photo captions too for this new and until now unknown news about one of or favorite model car companies suring the late 1960's to late 1970's. T

Thanks Tim, for saving the artifacts and for sharing them now with the world's adult modeling community.

1. The AMT GarWood Refuse body master....and no, it was not cancelled due to warpage during the AMT strike.  See the real story as relayed by Tim, in the photo captions....

DSC 0730 

2.  Have any of you EVER heard of an AMT bottom dump grain hauler trailer for their 1/25th scale truck and trailer lineup?  I sure hadn''t.  But here's visual proof that not only was such a project underway, but it got much closer to actually happening than anyone would have expected...again, details in the photo captions at the link above....

DSC 0486

3. Another unknown project....a foam tank and boom squirter to be added to AMT's American LaFrance Fire Equipment lineup....

DSC 0485  

.  And finally, images of the cancelled 1/25th scale Porsche 911 (also posted at the Car Kits and Reviews section)....and a whole variety of Star Trek projects....

Thanks to Tim Rice for saving these artifacts, and thanks to Tim and the DAAM management team for all their efforts to arrange and show these projects to us now. 

Just wow!!!!   TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

The bottom dump trailer looks like the trailer that is behind the IH transtar 2 on the box art?,but that was a ERTL kit so i dont think it was a possibility at that time?,would be neat to get the garbage truck body,have been hearing about it for years. Harvey

On 4/1/2019 at 10:35 PM, Atmobil said:

Thanks for sharing the pictures, really great to see this. I am also wondering if they could be made ready for production today. Could it be done?
One can always dream:)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

But sure they can be done, bring a bucket of cash, obtain the licensing and you're in business ;)

and instead of pantographing the wooden parts, they can be scanned, scaled down and even improved (including more detail) while still in cyberspace, anyway just my 2 cents...

:D