Model Cars Magazine Forum

404 Error back again?

Johnt671

• 3 weeks later...

10:42 PM. Build thread upload. 404. This is really getting tiresome. I'm losing patience with things that frequently don't work.

EDIT: Tried loading just pix, no text, and it went through...with the pix scrambled.

Now I'll waste more of my own life trying to compensate for somebody else's problem functionality.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

10:42 PM. Build thread upload. 404. This is really getting tiresome. I'm losing patience with things that frequently don't work.

EDIT: Tried loading just pix, no text, and it went through...with the pix scrambled.

Now I'll waste more of my own life trying to compensate for somebody else's problem functionality.

I’ll look at this tomorrow. 

Interesting enough, since I moved to the new place I've had not one instance of the 404 Error. Now granted I don't have the same internet provider as before either as the other company doesn't have service in this neck of the woods.

And yes, I've made posts since moving that had all sorts of pics and emojis, but no page errors.

Hmmm............... ?

48 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Interesting enough, since I moved to the new place I've had not one instance of the 404 Error. Now granted I don't have the same internet provider as before... ?

Interesting how there are an infinite number of possible negative interactions between different manifestations of "technology".

Imagine if cars from Georgia wouldn't run on gasoline purchased in Vermont.

With each new layer of technical complexity, built in the name of making things "easier", there's a concomitant increased propensity for unsolvable glitches.

The KISS principle is long forgotten.

For some reason the forum wouldn't come up on my PC or phone for a while today. I had tried to reply to a thread on my PC and got the 404 error. When I hit the back button, apparently the link broke, or something. When I finally got the forum back, I still couldn't reply from the PC, but I could from my phone. Any ideas, as I am not a tech GURU like a lot of you guys are! LoL

I copied this from lifework.com How to fix 404 page not found error.

I changed my DNS server settings a number of years ago because I was having trouble with my media server grabbing metadata.

It did help with that problem and also improved overall performance.

Might be worth a try.

1. Change the DNS servers used by your computer, but usually only if an entire website is giving you a 404 error, especially if the website is available to those on other networks (e.g., your mobile phone network or a friend in another city).

404's on an entire website isn't particularly common unless your ISP or government filters/censors websites. No matter the reason, if it does happen, giving another set of DNS servers a try is a good step to take. See our Public DNS Servers List for some alternatives and instructions on doing this.

Not an expert but play around with this type of stuff from time to time.

5 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

I copied this from lifework.com How to fix 404 page not found error.

I changed my DNS server settings a number of years ago because I was having trouble with my media server grabbing metadata.

It did help with that problem and also improved overall performance.

Might be worth a try.

1. Change the DNS servers used by your computer, but usually only if an entire website is giving you a 404 error, especially if the website is available to those on other networks (e.g., your mobile phone network or a friend in another city).

404's on an entire website isn't particularly common unless your ISP or government filters/censors websites. No matter the reason, if it does happen, giving another set of DNS servers a try is a good step to take. See our Public DNS Servers List for some alternatives and instructions on doing this.

Not an expert but play around with this type of stuff from time to time.

We’re having a different problem. There is a package of rules on the server intended to thwart people trying to hack into our server. Unfortunately, they sometimes thwart legitimate users. You get a 404 error when one of the rules thinks you’re a bad guy. 

2 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

We’re having a different problem. There is a package of rules on the server intended to thwart people trying to hack into our server. Unfortunately, they sometimes thwart legitimate users. You get a 404 error when one of the rules thinks you’re a bad guy. 

I wanted to say this for some time now: I don't know about the the quality and robustness of computer programming of today. It seems to me that any forum software which takes the text (or even HTML code) and if there are any database commands will interpret them too, is a pi$$-poor design.  Then there is the error handling.  Code 404 is not really helpful to anybody.  The Error should be more descriptive, like "why are you trying to hack the SQL here?". ;)   Sloppy programming if you ask me.  Yes, I know that you are not to blame here Dave. It is the programmers.

Edited by peteski

On 11/27/2019 at 9:06 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

Thanx for the clarification, You most likely stated this earlier at some point but I missed it. 

These rules are meant for protecting this site from being hacked? Or are they for keeping those bad guys from spamming?

IE, logging in on a fictitiously created user account and starting a thread promoting the latest ED prescriptions or whatever.?

Not knowing just how malicious these kind of attempts are and can be, thanx for being protective about the site.

On 11/27/2019 at 10:00 PM, Bucky said:

Bad guy, eh?? 

Well....I'm a left-handed, old pipefitter.

Does that qualify me? HAHAHA

Ha, another lefty here.

We are the "RIGHT"- brained people, ? tho not absolutely proven scientifically. 

I can't do anything with left handed scissors and bat right handed,so perhaps an anomaly .

Another left handed bad guy here. Old fire protection systems designer.

I bat left handed, but shoot right handed.

The 404 error is a generic error code that the programmers used in this software, could be used for any number of things.

I also agree that it could have been handled better, but why give the real bad guys more information than they need.

12 hours ago, Xingu said:

Another left handed bad guy here. Old fire protection systems designer.

I bat left handed, but shoot right handed.

The 404 error is a generic error code that the programmers used in this software, could be used for any number of things.

I also agree that it could have been handled better, but why give the real bad guys more information than they need.

Wow. I wonder if we have an excess of left handers here? I’m also left handed despite a concerted effort by the nuns to make me right handed. 

I also shoot right handed, but mostly because I’m right-eyed. 

OK.............this is getting REALLY weird! I'm blocked from getting on this site using Firefox. I tried to respond to a post about a problem someone is having with uploading pics from their phone to their PC and POOF...........I got the 404 Error. No emojis, no crazy 'banned' words just would not load and I can't get into the site at all.

First time it's happened since I moved nearly two months ago.

Now, I'm using a TOR browser via the Brave browser, and I got in just fine. Go figure. I'm sure it has something to do with whatever I posted vs using now what's known as a somewhat VPN usage to getting in.

Now I'll have to see if I can remember what I was trying to post earlier as it won't be saved under that particular topic unfortunately. This is getting to be a REAL PITA! 

Bill,  from my earlier experiments I noticed that if I try to post something with triggers the SQL injection protection (404 error), and I keep trying to post multiple times (always triggering the 404 error), after several attempts the forum software totally blocks me from accessing the forum site.  It probably zeros in on your IP address and maybe some browser information.  This lockout lasts few hours and from my end it appears that the forum site is down (inaccessible).  But once this "ban" expires in few hours, you are able to reconnect to the forum as if nothing happened.

Using TOR browser hides your true IP address, so the forum website does not know that you were the one who was supposed to be locked out.

That is what I think happened in your instance.

I've had exactly the same problem as Peter described above on this thread: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/146006-66-amc-marlin/

I sure hope this issue gets fixed, otherwise I'll need to find some other forum where I can post these "General interest-models", meaning all other than Traditional Hot Rods, Customs or Race Cars (which is mostly what I build)...And I don't want to do that.