Model Cars Magazine Forum

Opel Calibra DTM

Rich Chernosky

Been a while since  I posted here but I am back to building.  This is a UT Models 1/24 Opel Calibra that was driven in the German Touring Car division by Keke Rosberg and Klaus Ludwig in 1995.  UT  Models is more well known for their diecast and I also have the 1/18 version of this car.  Kit was by no means a walk in the park. Three tone paint job consists of Pactra acrylic pearl white, Tamiya TS47 chrome yellow and Tamiya TS55 Dk blue metallic.  Decals proved to be the hardest challenge as they were the stiffest I have ever encountered. Much heat and solvent were required to get them to lay down. Some extras added were seatbelts, steering wheels and some photo etch. Rest of the kit was box stock and quite detailed. DSC06537.JPG.8404c729c81308553efd0d8459598e4e.JPG

These hood decals proved to be the most problematic. They eventually wrinkled and have to be buried in clear. Then sanded smooth after the a few months of curing. It was several years before I returned to this because of that. DSC06539.JPG.ef2c751a606e77ec37f82ac9feb7c05f.JPG

I really enjoy haveing different sizes of the same car.  I also have a Microchamps 1/64 version of the same car on its way. 

DSC06530.JPG

DSC06533.JPG

DSC06534.JPG

DSC06535.JPG

1 hour ago, iBorg said:

I've got a couple of these and have heard horror stories about the decals. Besides, Platto any alternatives?

Mike...not to my knowledge. I soaked the decals in very warm water then applied them with some solvent. Then a hair dryer on low and worked them with a wet brush.  Didn't do that the first time around and probably used too much solvent. If you have ever used the heat trick with decals you should be OK

Well done. There is a much better Tamiya kit, but that's the '94 DTM model. If you want a kit of the '95 model, no way around the ones from UT model. Aftermarket decals for several liveries can be purchased from several manufacturers, if required.

11 minutes ago, Tommy124 said:

Well done. There is a much better Tamiya kit, but that's the '94 DTM model. If you want a kit of the '95 model, no way around the ones from UT model. Aftermarket decals for several liveries can be purchased from several manufacturers, if required.

Thank you for the compliment. I have the Tamiya kit completed as well. The working door hinges that Tamiya supplied were very clever. They pulled out and then up. And the door fit when closed was superb.