Model Cars Magazine Forum

new Challenger

weirich1

Anyone know of when we'll be seeing a 1/24 or 1/25 new Challenger kit???? Finally got to see a co-worker's 1:1 today--it's an awesome car. Only way I'll be able to afford one is a model.

I think the Dealer Promo's will be out first. I have one on order and it's supposed to be shipped late Oct.

-Steve

Steve, How or who do i order from for the promo, Thanks

Jay

Jay,

They were available only online direct from Dodge, the deadline to order was like 8/24. They now only have the diecast.

If you search the board of that "other" magazine under "what's new" you can find a preview pic and possibly the original link to order, that is if it's still works. Don't worry I'm sure there will be more offered later.

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

Jay,

They were available only online direct from Dodge, the deadline to order was like 8/24. They now only have the diecast.

If you search the board of that "other" magazine under "what's new" you can find a preview pic and possibly the original link to order, that is if it's still works. Don't worry I'm sure there will be more offered later.

-Steve

I preordered one myself..their wasn't a choice of colors, so who knows if it will be Black, Orange, or Silver.. will be fun to have it arrive in the mail out of the blue!

Lindberg=== Concept version, not sure if it will be full detail or not

Revell====full detail production car

AMT=====curbside promo of the production car

I wonder what happened to the Lindberg..they had announced a couple other Dodge concepts also..haven't seen any release dates or anything about them..

• 2 weeks later...
Is it me or does the roof look a little off around the windshield area?

No, the windshield pillars are that thick in the 1:1. That's one styling cue I wish would go away.....it seems the American cars are the only ones afflicted by that styling miscue.

The foreign ones (namely Asian, Japanese) don't have those ugly thick A pillars.

I'm waiting for the first lawsuit to come when someone has an accident and is seriously injured due to those pillars creating a hazardous blind spot in certain conditions. :lol:

No, the windshield pillars are that thick in the 1:1. That's one styling cue I wish would go away.....it seems the American cars are the only ones afflicted by that styling miscue.

The foreign ones (namely Asian, Japanese) don't have those ugly thick A pillars.

I'm waiting for the first lawsuit to come when someone has an accident and is seriously injured due to those pillars creating a hazardous blind spot in certain conditions. :blink:

Americans don't have a lock on thick pillars and idiotic blind spots.

Just saw this blog update this morning:

Bad Visibility

Geeeeee...........that IS dangerous as far as that Mitsu's concerned! :angry:

That's part of the reason I won't buy a 4 door car! The center pillars are so thick that it blocks my peripheral vision 'cuz I got to have the seat waaaaaaay back! :rolleyes:

A coupe has the pillar further back naturally because of the longer doors, so that's not an issue with my Saturn Coupe for instance.

Gone are those neat pillarless 4 door hardtops that were once the staple of American car design................you can thank the safety nazis for that! :blink:

I don't see a whole lot of difference in the thickness of the A pillar between the old and new Challenger. The old pillar looks thinner because your eye doesn't include the chrome trim in the thickness, but overall the new pillar looks about the same to me.

challenger2.jpg

challenger-1.jpg

Harry, if you popped out the windshield on the 09 Challenger you'd see more pillar behind the black masked edges of the windshield.

If cars were to have thinner pillars and true hardtops, they'd not only give up safety, but they'd also give up that solid "carved from billet" feel that all new cars have. Instantaneously cars would become flexi-flyers again overnight. Personally I rather like how tight/solid new cars drive vs. vintage cars, but visibility does suck on almost everything these days. Much of the side/rear glass on vehicles hides structure behind the blacked-out edges. Want to see ridiculousness, stick your head inside a new Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe, Toyota FJ Cruiser...huge pillars, ginormous blind spots, and some of the most useless windows known to mankind! When 90% of a piece of glass is blacked out to hide structure, we have a problem.

I've ridden in a '70 Challenger. What a flippin' rattletrap! Beautiful car, but build quality not in the same galaxy as a new car. Nostalgia buffs seem to filter out that kind of stuff :)

Yeah, the new pillars are thicker, but front-to-back, not side-to-side, so from the outside not much difference visually between old and new. My car (Dodge) also has the thickness in the pillar going front-to-back (actually sort of at a 45 degree angle) instead of side-to-side, so there's no bad obstruction.

Hey, they have to hide all of that mandated safety structure somewhere!

But you're right about the new cars being so much tighter. My '67 Impala feels like it has a chassis made of spaghetti. (It's a convertible, so it's even worse!) And brakes on the old cars are so much worse than new car brakes. In fact, if you're not used to them, brakes on an old car can be downright scary! :)

Edited by harrypri

I've ridden in a '70 Challenger. What a flippin' rattletrap! Beautiful car, but build quality not in the same galaxy as a new car. Nostalgia buffs seem to filter out that kind of stuff :)

And yet everyone of us today lived through that era riding in those "rattletrap" cars, drinking from the hose, enjoying dirt clod fights, skateboarding without helmets and pads, riding in the very back of the family station-wagon.... etc, etc, etc. I could go on for hours given enough time.

Todays cars are safer with regards to survivability.

But stronger? That is debatable due to federal legislation requiring crazy high emissions and fuel economy standards.

A 1959 Thunderbird, one of the first unibody cars Ford built, can have it's floor and doors completely removed without collapsing. This test was actually done back in the day. A 1959 Thunderbird had thin "A" pillars but was never crushed in a roll over. That was because it was built with good quality steel of a decent thickness.

Todays cars are built with half that thickness for light weight. This requires thicker shaped posts using very thin material with which to provide the same safety cage for the passengers.

Weigh savings = economy but the tradeoff is poor visibility and awful styling.

Frankly I would rather drive an older vintage car with a pleasing shape and good visibility. The safety factor is actually more a factor of what is between your ears than it is surviving a collision just because the airhead driver was too distracted fooling around with the new plasma screen controlled radio and/or talking on the cell phone while texting the BF/GF that "I GT A NW CAR U GOT TO CK IT OUT"!