Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing lettering from a diecast

Greetings,

Just a light update of what's been said thus far.   Try to go with a non-tinted variety of whatever nail polish remover you employ.  The tint can stain a light colored surface, hence the need to go with whatever clear or modestly-tinted option (light yellow is better than medium pink for example) exists.  I used to apply Marlboro decals to many a McLaren F1 topic, while it was a horror to discover that the white painted sections could be (temporarily) damaged in this fashion.  As many a hypocritical parent has shouted - do what I say and not as I do!  

Also - be sure to have a large supply of cotton swabs on hand consistent with introducing new swabs on a quickly rotating basis before the nail polish remover evaporates away and allows material to be dumped back onto the surface to be cleaned.  Turn the cotton swab consistent with drawing away the tampo print and pulling residue from the surface, while very soon indeed you'll need to toss the swab out and grab another.  Straight acetone is of course 'hotter' than nail polish remover which contains only a percentage of such.  Oh - and maybe consider seeking out what are termed 'makeup removers' which are sort of super cotton swabs with tighter wound cotton balls with a blunt profile on one end, and a comparatively sharp point formed on the other.  All drug stores have them, while  the flexibility of these becomes apparent through use.

If it helps (and even if it seems to border on overkill), my own practice is to scrub down the majority of whatever tampo prints are seen with usually about 50 to 100 swabs employing nail polish remover without risking underlying paint damage for using too powerful right up front.  This 'done', I've found it helps to take digital photo images of the work to reveal what has been missed.  I've discovered that residue that isn't strictly visible to the eye can be turned up for taking a few images and inspecting such carefully.  Having isolated what work remains to be done, I'll then pull out the 100% acetone and apply some to a buffing rag and work over the entire surface that was formally home to the tampo print to basically carry away what goo remains.  Further photos are taken and inspected, another round of 100% percent acetone cleaning is done (quickly and without great pressure applied), and then things tend to come together.  Good luck!

Mike K./Swede70

50 minutes ago, swede70 said:

Also - be sure to have a large supply of cotton swabs on hand consistent with introducing new swabs on a quickly rotating basis before the nail polish remover evaporates away and allows material to be dumped back onto the surface to be cleaned.  Turn the cotton swab consistent with drawing away the tampo print and pulling residue from the surface, while very soon indeed you'll need to toss the swab out and grab another.  Straight acetone is of course 'hotter' than nail polish remover which contains only a percentage of such.  Oh - and maybe consider seeking out what are termed 'makeup removers' which are sort of super cotton swabs with tighter wound cotton balls with a blunt profile on one end, and a comparatively sharp point formed on the other.  All drug stores have them, while  the flexibility of these becomes apparent through use.

I use paper napkins, folded over to two or three thicknesses, and switch to a fresh section for every swipe. B)

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I use paper napkins, folded over to two or three thicknesses, and switch to a fresh section for every swipe. B)

I agree with Snake on this.  The non-acetone works and does not harm the underlying paint in all the times I have used it.

• 4 months later...
41 minutes ago, junkyardjeff said:

That non acetate polish remover works great,got the lettering removed from two and others to do.

You can thank Madhorseman. He's the guy who turned me on to the trick and I've used it and passed it along many times and give him full credit. B)