Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model factory hiro Porsche 917/30

Oh boy. I opened the box. This car was a poster on my wall as a kid. Also with Farrah. So I was going to start the Gurney F1 kit but I put it aside to do the Porsche. Have to thank my friend Mark for patiently waiting to receiving payment. Now it’s paid for,1BEAB294-AAEB-411E-9ED2-6D15B789CC9E.thumb.jpeg.c2b1ace41ee8cc7cfdd8e9d29f4f3861.jpeg so here we go. Saw Dave Thibodeau’s Porsche. Holly mackerel! I cannot even come close to his standards but I’m going to give it a try . To me , he is a grand master modeler. . This is going to probably take a year or so. I’m not in a hurry , also we may be moving back east so it may take longer. Going to do the engine first. Well , here goes........

00537E32-C37C-477E-95B9-36730E7C9F31.jpeg

543D54BC-6DB1-4F1D-86D7-BFF17118EAED.jpeg

537065FB-AA10-43D7-82BC-B9E47AEF3BF3.jpeg

540581B8-A418-430B-8943-C3AA56D40404.jpeg

E23EA602-4636-4A7F-AD3A-730CE36BB401.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Growing up I was always fascinated with Can-Am.  You are to be commended for taking on the king of the beasts with this build and I'll certainly be following this one too with keen interest.  cheers, tim

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 11:04 AM, Codi said:

Growing up I was always fascinated with Can-Am.  You are to be commended for taking on the king of the beasts with this build and I'll certainly be following this one too with keen interest.  cheers, tim

You're saluting the "Can-Am Killer?!" Kind of hard not to.

• Thanks 1

Biting my lip - the Farrah poster reference invites all sorts of responses that would make the moderators sad … enjoy ….

Consider some posts with the oil line instructions in focus - would be most helpful to those of is that want to add some detail to to a 917 kit in smaller scale …

On 3/23/2024 at 4:34 PM, Chris Smith said:

Great to see you back onto this particular project Bruce. As usual off to a great start!

Hello Chris! Yeah after about a year I thought it might be good to start this up again. I look at the instructions and get a little dizzy. Holy cow. Getting a 1/8 Ferrari GTO from Mark soon so I might have to put this away and do the Ferrari. We shall see. Plus still waiting on parts for the 1/8 gull wing. Restoring a 1:1 1967 mustang GT. And restoring my 1965 mustang. So a little busy. 

On 3/23/2024 at 11:29 AM, absmiami said:

6D8F6D52-CAF4-4082-A2C0-4C7C9ED32871.webp

Thank you for the pic not Farrah. Had this poster and the 917/30 in my bedroom as kid. 

Ok just completed the turbos. Took me several weeks just to do these. Fuel system next. Been slacking on models a lot. Wanted to work on this Saturday but seeing Adam Corrolla at the auto museum. Attending a dinner and the podcast. He has a special guest. Jay Leno is in town, so we hope it’s Jay. I will have pics. Anyway hope to have the fuel system finished in a few weeks maybe months. 

IMG_9954.jpeg

IMG_9951.jpeg

9 hours ago, Chris Smith said:

Looking good Bruce! So you have been shmoozing with celebrities 😋

Hello Chris. You have met Andre at our club show. He runs the Harrah auto museum. Good friend of mine. He told me about Adams Datsuns at the museum. He also told me about the pod cast and dinner. Everything was sold out but he made an extra seat for me . It’s who you know. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 9:23 PM, Chris Smith said:

Looking good Bruce! So you have been shmoozing with celebrities 😋

Ok Chris. Adam Carolla , Jay did not make it. He does not like the bad weather. But Paul Newmans daughter made it. They signed my glovebox door. 

IMG_9979.jpeg

IMG_9975.jpeg

IMG_9971.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...