Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge Viper

bh1701

I bought this Dodge Viper kit back in the 90's and it just sat in the closet in an unopened box until recently. I finally decided to tackle this kit and here is the result. I think the kit was one of AMT's better kits; a lot of detail and the parts fit together very well.

5d4585f2b07cd_ViperModel(2).JPG.b221290d33b21eed4dd0f7d376286f04.JPG

5d4585f229e79_ViperModel(1).JPG.ad441224caa415be7032de26379dd12d.JPG

5d4585f365cfb_ViperModel(3).JPG.8c8c86e5cfb2ea27c2aebdfe6a7303e2.JPG

5d4585f3ee811_ViperModel(4).JPG.6ed96a158a2f096eeec1277d17998e6d.JPG

5d4585f47bc5d_ViperModel(5).JPG.9b5f9684f5f812910c70d3faed63c417.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Bart

3 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Very nice. Got it in the stash. Wish amt had used clear instead of smoke for the headlights.

I agree - the smoked finish for the headlight covers was a bit of a disappointment. I had tried to make a mold of the covers  to try to make my own clear covers, but never was able to come up with anything remotely satisfactory. 

• 1 year later...

The AMT viper gts has clear headlights, I can’t seem to get one of these that doesn’t have a warped frame, and a huge gap between the bumper and hood, how did you prevent that from happening I have tried several time just never can seem to get it right. You built a very nice car to say the least, I especially like the orange lettering on the hood

22 hours ago, Whosurdaddy209 said:

The AMT viper gts has clear headlights, I can’t seem to get one of these that doesn’t have a warped frame, and a huge gap between the bumper and hood, how did you prevent that from happening I have tried several time just never can seem to get it right. You built a very nice car to say the least, I especially like the orange lettering on the hood

Thanks!

It's been a while since I built this kit, but I do remember the hood/front bumper/body, and also the rear bumper/body, did not fit together that well. I seem to remember doing some careful sanding on some of these parts to make them go together a bit better, and also using Tamiya masking tape to hold the bumpers in position to the body/frame while the glue dried. 

I looked at the model the other day and noticed that there is a bit of a gap between the rear bumper sides and the body. I can see that it exists in the photos, too. It's probably the best fit I could manage to get.

The detailing that AMT did in this kit was excellent.  Except for the bumpers, the kit did fit together very well. I always get a little disappointed when you've spent all that time building and detailing the sub-assemblies, and then you find some issues when all of the sub-assemblies come together in the final steps.

Bart