Model Cars Magazine Forum

Screwing up and dealing with it

There is an old saying that the person who never makes a mistake never makes anything. We all get it wrong from time to time. As an experienced modeller sometimes I have come unstuck through complacency by trying to take short cuts and it comes back to bite me! Since starting to do some scratch builds it is having to remake stuff that can get frustrating, but you just have to persevere.

Not so much on track but a story similar nonetheless...  I was working on Mickey Thompson Challenger II.   All kinds of issues with it,  But was making it through pretty nicely.  Was working about 3 hrs away, so I was only home on weekends.  I lef the car with weights on it to get it to dry right.  In the process I didn't get it completed, but it sat there while my (now ex) wife and I separated and divorced.   It sat on the bench for over a year I think.   Still incomplete and I lost my interest in it completely.  I just don;t know if I care enough to start on it again.  I'm mostly out of race cars now - 5 years later.  She was kind enough to take weights off and box it carefully.   All my models she was very careful with.  She packed them all in boxes and leftt hem for me to pick up.   300+ built ups and a couple hundred kits in stages from nothing to almost complete.  

I'm still finding projects.  

I do have a Mercury Custom Jimmy Flintsone resin body I've made so many mistakes on that I'll never finish it either - bought in the early 90s.   Still have it.  Never finish it.  The Revell car gave me exactly what I was after and it is complete.  No making windows and mating stuff up.

I have several zip lock bags of cars that have fallen off shelf and busted.   I can fix or sell.  I gather up all the parts I can find for whatever fate awaits.

So yes, there are certainly frustrations in this hobby.  I always keep 2 - 3 projects going so I fell frustration rising, I can set it aside to "dry" and come back to it later.