Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airfix BMW M1 road car 1:24

Funkychiken

On 9/28/2021 at 2:11 AM, TimJ said:

Great work so far, the extra detail will make a big difference. I built on of theses OOB last year, while it is a basic kit it looks like a BMW M1 to me.

DSCF1860resize.JPG.50663fdf08eb4c7894f4594bd080d614.JPG

On 10/17/2021 at 1:06 PM, David G. said:

Beautiful mods, updates and corrections on this one. All very well done!

David G.

On 10/19/2021 at 12:00 PM, Zippi said:

Great looking.  Mods look nice.    

On 10/21/2021 at 6:55 PM, Just Jim said:

That's one neat looking car. Your mods are really transforming it from plain to fantastic

Tim, David, Bob & Jim, thanks for the comments and encouragment, and that red M1 is the quality i'm aiming for!

• 8 months later...

For whatever reason, i'm not sure why, I recoated with 2K Zero clear... it didn't go so well, lots of pitting in the paint. Happened also to my Airfix Ford Fiesta that a painted shortly before.

I've have to do some agressive sanding & thats left 3 areas back to primer.

in other areas the pitting remains.

Also as you can see from the roof top - the aggressive sanding throught he earlier steps of the grades has left its mak. the pic of the front left corner of the car shows how glossy and smooth the paint was when it went on, smae there were so many errors.

I'm not looking for perfection, so I'm going to mask for the black bits and run through to final assembly.... its another kit thats been on the bench far too long.

20220708_220113.jpg

20220708_215758.jpg

20220708_215831.jpg

20220708_215915.jpg

20220708_220041.jpg

20220708_220048.jpg

Great looking build so far. 
That pitting in your paint, or what a lot of people call “fish eyes”, is usually a combination of heavy coats and humidity. The other thing that causes it is contamination of the surface you are painting. 
it is total pita to remove it and since most of the time it needs to be sanded all the way down and resprayed, I would be sanding larger spots to blend that area in order to avoid further surface issues. 
  I hope you sort it out and wish you best of luck. The M1 is one of my all time favorites from “The Big Three”.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 4:11 PM, mrm said:

Great looking build so far. 
That pitting in your paint, or what a lot of people call “fish eyes”, is usually a combination of heavy coats and humidity. The other thing that causes it is contamination of the surface you are painting. 
it is total pita to remove it and since most of the time it needs to be sanded all the way down and resprayed, I would be sanding larger spots to blend that area in order to avoid further surface issues. 
  I hope you sort it out and wish you best of luck. The M1 is one of my all time favorites from “The Big Three”.

Hey, it's also one of my favourites! 

I guessed it was humidity or dirt, but could also have been too much thinner. 

It's been touched up now, and it's not great, but it's saved. 

On 7/17/2022 at 6:20 AM, beeRS said:

It’s a shame about those few areas where the paint has sanded through. It’s not so bad though.  It’ll still make an impressive model. Are you still planning on using the stripes ordered from Germany? 

On 7/23/2022 at 2:00 PM, David G. said:

I wish you good luck getting the paint details sorted. It's a drag to have such a thing happen so close to completion.

David G.

Thanks Bee and David! 

I will not be defeated, I'm on the home straight. 

Hi Bee, yes I'm going to use those stripes, as seen in this image, cut ready to be applied. 

I used tamiya soke acrylic for the panel lines, as it's not as extreme as black, but it is still too much. I tried to remove it, but it doesn't come out. So it's staying.

20220806_161549.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/9/2022 at 5:57 AM, beeRS said:

Nice work on those stripes 👍🏼

On 8/8/2022 at 3:20 PM, dino246gt said:

Looking great!  I built one years ago, before I even knew what a real one looked like! Tried to "customize" it, oh well, yours looks more like the real thing, nice work!

Friday over.JPG

On 8/7/2022 at 3:10 PM, David G. said:

That's a lot of crazy masking work! Been there, done that.

The stripes look great, this whole thing is shaping up quite nicely.

David G.

Thanks Sonny, Dennis & David!

It took me ages to mould a new front windscreen to fit the curvature required, about 8 attempts by heating up clear plastic from choclate packaging with candles, mostly melted or scorched. Finally got one close enough to build with &  this is the final result (after a lot of white PVA glue to hold the glass in place. Next up will be finished piccies. 

body finished.jpg

• Like 2