Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/64 Farm Diorama

PHPaul

On 12/3/2020 at 8:51 AM, Anglia105E said:

Hello Paul...... I am not wanting to hijack your thread or anything, but I can see that you are clearly knowledgeable when it comes to engineering equipment, so I was wondering what you think about this 3D printed lathe. The link takes you to a seller on Pinshape, and the price is in US $., which is a 1:10 scale lathe. I am wanting to 3D print some factory machinery for my 1:43 Hooper & Co factory, so that I can photograph some Rolls-Royce car bodies in production, with some machine tools displayed inside the factory building. I would have thought the 1:10 scale model could be scaled down to 1:43, before I print it. Does it look like the sort of machine that you would have seen inside a Rolls-Royce factory during the 1950's, in your opinion? Photos below this link...... https://pinshape.com/items/40054-3d-printed-scale-110-lathe

David

container_scale-1-10-lathe-3d-printing-176779.jpg

container_scale-1-10-lathe-3d-printing-176780.jpg

container_scale-1-10-lathe-3d-printing-176781.jpg

No sure how I missed this, sorry for the delay.

That would probably be  "cutting edge" technology for the early 50's, but I think it would be appropriate.

Thank you, Paul....... and no problem with the delay. I went ahead and reduced the lathe model to what I thought was 1:43 scale, but this turned out to be a miscalculation on my part. The lathe came out half size, so I doubled up the measurements and printed a larger model. Here are photos of all three lathe models. The two smaller lathes could be mounted on workbenches. Thanks for looking!

David

101_4538.JPG

101_4539.JPG

101_4540.JPG

VERY Nice, David.  The diorama looks good already!

I keep thinking 3D printing would be an interesting new hobby, but when you're starting from scratch, the start-up costs and learning curve are a bit more than I have the ambition (or resources...) to take on.

Edited by PHPaul

Thank you.  I'm not entirely happy with the weathering.  I tried something new for the green moss/mildew effect and I like the color but the coverage needs work.

There are a couple of other minor glitches that I'd do differently next time, but overall I'm pleased.

I think my next project will be a steam engine to drive it.  I'm gathering information now.

• 2 weeks later...

steamerls.jpg

My next project/challenge in 1:64 - an Advance-Rumely steam engine to run the thresher.

I invested in an entry-level 3D printer to make some of the more complex parts.  I went with a Creality Ender 3D V2 and I've been learning TinkerCAD while I wait for it to arrive.  I've designed a few parts and sent the file on a couple to a friend to print on his printer as a test of my design.  Already learned a couple of things.  Being as they're VERY small parts (10mm cubed on one) I'll need a finer nozzle than the one that comes with the printer.  Haven't even got it yet and I'm already ordering mod parts for it...:o

Got the printer Tuesday night late - a day EARLY!

Amazing, considering the season and the 'rona.

Other things got in the way until Wednesday afternoon, then I put it together, figured out a couple of minor issues with the software and printed a pre-loaded test object.  VERY impressed with the finish.

While waiting for the printer, I did enough of the tutorials on TinkerCAD to have a basic grasp of it and designed some parts for the steamer.

test1.jpg

First attempt at printing my own designs.  The front axle/pedestal came out well enough to use with a little sanding.  

The rear wheels were about 90%.  Problem was the spokes.  The ones that printed directly on the print bed were fine, but the "top" ones didn't have enough support and didn't connect to the rims, along with strings everywhere.  Time for Plan B:

wheels.jpg

Re-did the wheels in halves so both sets of spokes printed on the print bed.  MUCH better.  A bit of sanding and we're good to go.  I'll clock them so the spokes alternate and glue them together

steamer3.jpg

Working on a 1:64 model of an Advance-Rumely steam engine for my diorama.

Wheels, stack/headlight, front axle and pedestal, steam dome, water barrels and coal box all printed on the 3D printer. The rest is built from various plastic sheet and shapes.

Took 4 tries on the rear wheels and 3 on the front to get results I was pleased with. I initially tried to print the wheels and spokes as a unit on the rear, but the spokes didn't always connect to the rim as they were unsupported during the print process. Then I attempted printing the wheels in two halves so the spokes were supported by the bed of the printer which worked, but gluing them together was problematic due to delicacy of the spokes and warping of the rims as they cooled.

Wound up printing the rims separately and printing 4 sets of spokes (inner and outer for two wheels) on the bed and printed the spokes bigger than I really liked so they weren't so delicate.

The stack came out perfect first shot, as did pretty much everything else.

Long way to go yet, but it's getting there. Looking at the picture, the stack/headlight print looks a little out of scale - too big. Might scale that down a bit and re-print it.

I've been getting reports that some folks can't see pictures linked from my website.

Link if you can't see the picture: http://www.eastovershoe.com/diorama/steamer/steamer3.jpg bee

Edited by PHPaul
added thoughts

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After looking at Version 1 of the steamer for a few days, I decided to start from scratch and build V2 using more 3D printed parts.  I redesigned some pieces and tweaked others to correct scale issues.  It's assembled and in paint now, I'll post pictures in a day or two.

Meanwhile, I'm adding details here and there on the diorama.

cellar.jpg.e1c0896cc354d8776bb595b1e952951b.jpgcellar2.jpg.391e846a6961974381688148fa0a3389.jpg

I added an abandoned cellar hole near the sawmill.  My thinking is it was the original cabin on the farm from back in the 1800's.  As such holes often do, it's collected some random junk.

sshed1.jpg.0750c8a2b8185a9ab550f940099cd056.jpg

I built a dilapidated shed to park the steamer under and 

coal.jpg.e169f38d6b47cd00766bda250d0043e3.jpg

added a coal bin next to the shed, using Black Diamond Coal Slag blasting media as the coal.

V2V1.jpg.aad51241b0df02061ee722769ce61cc4.jpg

V2_1s.jpg.2078d934218eee9be69f01c161bb425c.jpg

V2_3s.jpg.7569501d382f045f7efc51dadc46ef50.jpg

V2_2s.jpg.e6e5565c9747e6226769be642045041e.jpg

Version 2 got some scale issues fixed, some details removed and others added, and a better paint job.  The original was gloss black and it looked overdone.  This one is flat gunmetal, much more realistic IMHO.  Still not perfect, but plenty good enough for a diorama viewed from 3 or 4 feet away.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...