Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can anyone ID this Maverick?

This is on Ebay right now:

Is this an MPC, Revell or ?

It doesn't have the hogged out rear wheelwells or separate fenders from the Malco Multi-Maverick. But it does have a Grabber hood which the Johan model doesn't. 

I'm intrigued, it looks like a good basis for a stock conversion. I need to know where to look.

1101218388_s-l400(15).jpg.a86afa936da553ae427d7e2b6b984016.jpg

1010568652_s-l400(13).jpg.74d7190e474236071e2fec8461aa116e.jpg

804468871_s-l400(12).jpg.32b3e5c94c5f5acfa9c87dd117fc8eac.jpg

562018101_s-l400(7).jpg.f6d4c1922941ed9e9960b931efaefb52.jpg

23302202_s-l400(6).jpg.0bf0aa2bd04198598ba08ee42bd48b58.jpg

Well, I'm just about 100% certain it's not a JoHan. 

It would take a LOT to bring this one back to stock. (Did you notice the door/window frames are gone?)  I'd pass on it, unless I just couldn't find anything else, or it was DIRT cheap. 

You can still find bargains on Mavericks on eBay if you watch and are patient. I saw a really nice (though not perfect) JoHan promo go last week for less than $40. Only reason it isn't mine is I just forgot to bid on it. But I'm pretty well Mavericked up at the moment and promise not to bid against you. 

There are a lot of WAY expensive ones on there, too. 

Revell made two Mavericks. One a really bad funny car and the other a 1/32 kit. - Not those

MPC made one Maverick which was issued as the Mutli Maverick and the Warhorse. I'm fairly certain they used the same mold for the Jolly Rodger funny car. Not those

JoHan did a Maverick that was issued as a pro stock and a stock with funny car options.- Maybe the stock option although the tail lights are wrong. I also can't believe the builder would remove the window trim so neatly and then hack the rest of it.

AMT also did a release using the JoHan molds with a different hood. -that doesn't match the box art.

Otaki is shown as releasing a 1/25 Maverick. Maybe.

Either way, I'd love to have it. I have a project it would be perfect for.

18 minutes ago, iBorg said:

Otaki is shown as releasing a 1/25 Maverick. Maybe.

Here's the box art for the Otaki 1/24 scale Maverick.  I've never seen one so don't know how good or bad it is.  That photo linked to an eBay listing for "Otaki 1/24 Car Kit Collection."  But that listing was long dead and eBay couldn't find it.

mav_ota.jpg

I never even thought about Palmer, it looked too proportionately correct for that. ?

However, the separate chrome front and rear ends and roof do support that theory. Probably was modified into this funny car.

That would make it around 1/32, not my scale and not going to be easy to find. 

As far as bidding on this one - I'll pass. Right now it's at $27 and just not worth it for the condition it's in.

But at least I know who made it.

Thanks guys!

17 hours ago, iBorg said:

MPC made one Maverick which was issued as the Mutli Maverick and the Warhorse. I'm fairly certain they used the same mold for the Jolly Rodger funny car. Not those

AMT also did a release using the JoHan molds with a different hood. -that doesn't match the box art.

The two MPC kits used the same body, with the separate front fender panels.  The Jolly Roger had a different chassis (engine further back), different windows, and didn't have the hood scoop that the Multi Maverick had (which was incorrect for that car).  Jolly Roger only had one set of fender panels as the wheelbase was not adjustable.

The AMT kit was a straight re-box of the Jo-Han Dyno Don Maverick.  AMT didn't tool any unique parts for the re-boxed Jo-Han kits.

I dunno if I'd invest $27+ in satisfying my curiosity, but I'd like to see one of these Palmer Mavericks in person. There's at least a chance that it could be a workable kit. Remember that the Lindberg '74 Challenger started as a Palmer. No, it's nowhere near perfect, but it is full 1/25 scale and it's head and shoulders above what most of us think of when we hear the Palmer name. I've seen several very acceptable looking models built from that kit and have worked on one on and off myself. IMHO, it's more accurate than, say, the MPC '69 Firebird. :lol:

Maybe the Palmer Maverick is in the same category. :unsure:

The Palmer Maverick could very well be "workable".  A guy I know who collects Palmer stuff (long story there) showed me one of their AMX kits, and it didn't look too terrible (about as "good" as I'll admit anything Palmer could be).  Probably a case of the blind squirrel finding a nut...

5 hours ago, Mark said:

The Palmer Maverick could very well be "workable".  A guy I know who collects Palmer stuff (long story there) showed me one of their AMX kits, and it didn't look too terrible (about as "good" as I'll admit anything Palmer could be).  Probably a case of the blind squirrel finding a nut...

Or, conversely, a squirrel finding a blind nut. ?. Some of Palmer's bigger stuff was clearly knocked off from AMT/MPC. Their Stingray was AMT compatible, to the point I used parts from it to finish a build from a 70-71. The sad ACcelerator and original Stars and Stripes AMT's were the awful misshapen things they were. Palmer was closer than they were. I do recall rectangular taillights though. 

Well, the Palmer beat everyone to the mid-engine AND electric car kit by miles. 

Wonder if Tesla promos would sell to the fahrt-sniffing owners, broaden the appeal.Fan-bois are fan-bois?

3 hours ago, paul alflen said:

Ron W, would that be Missing Link for the full Maverick resin kit?? Oldcarfan- that paint will come off in the purple pond like magic . Just put the 1967 Amt Mustang chassis under it and build it as a gasser !!!!

Paul, I like your idea, but Palmer kits like this are around 1/32 scale and not always accurate scale at that!

But If I ever come across one of these cheap, I would definitely give it a shot.